Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Explaining Canadian pricing

Quote Originally Posted by tomjones View Post
    FYI the cig tax money goes into general revenue not directly into healthcare as it should....

ok, ok, so the man puts our money in his left pocket instead of the right one. same pants though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Rouser View Post
    I think most of you are missing the point. It's a pain in the ass to import guns out of the states. Not to mention a head ache. You have to jump through so many loops and fill out lots of paper work. It all takes time and money. Each export permit cost $250. Then you have shipping and customs brokerage fees on top of that. Do the math, you wouldn't be able to export it for less if you did it yourself. You would actually be paying at least 30% more.
    agreed!! costs of doing business as i said.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    Wolverine Supplies is a sponsor here and I am sure they are a good company to deal with - perhaps they can shed some light.
    Why should any company site sponsor or not divulge their company business in an open forum?
    You dont like the prices shop around, still can not find what you are willing to pay then maybe you should invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into a building, paying triple net taxes hydro, security monitoring, city beautification taxes, allow for inspections by the fire department, the local police dept. and what ever your province has for worker compensation ( Work Safe BC ) or maybe they are staffed by Union Thugs and the list goes on.
    Guys/Gals, you wanna complain about the cost of doing business in Canada, dont forget the taxes you and I pay to the Feds as well.
    So, if one thinks they can do better than the store selling a .22 pistol for nearly 600.00 I say show us your business plan, your credit application to the bank and maybe your last three years taxes and maybe some of us ..ok me will consider supporting your venture in a start up internet retail business.
    Instead of publicly naming a store and causing potential conflict between them and this privately owned site, one should consider the costs of doing business in Canada.
    Tight Groups,
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Rouser View Post
    I think most of you are missing the point. It's a pain in the ass to import guns out of the states. Not to mention a head ache. You have to jump through so many loops and fill out lots of paper work. It all takes time and money. Each export permit cost $250. Then you have shipping and customs brokerage fees on top of that. Do the math, you wouldn't be able to export it for less if you did it yourself. You would actually be paying at least 30% more.
    You have no idea what your talking about.

I can have any gun imported for $100 + 5% and all I have to do is register the gun. All paperwork done, and only a couple weeks wait.

Sometimes it isn't worth it because on some products we can get similar pricing, but on many guns, especially high end or harder to find stuff I can save quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mlehtovaara View Post
    You have no idea what your talking about.

I can have any gun imported for $100 + 5% and all I have to do is register the gun. All paperwork done, and only a couple weeks wait.

Sometimes it isn't worth it because on some products we can get similar pricing, but on many guns, especially high end or harder to find stuff I can save quite a bit.
    I have to agree with you. There are many ways to get the products without using the Canadian dealer system when it comes to firearms and firearms related products. All legal and above board..........

CGN Regular
    Most times the wholesaler or the manufacturer is the importer, not the dealer. This allows for volume, which then reduces individual cost. I have seen wholesale prices to dealer 40% more in Canada than US. This is manufacturer gouging, and is not new, nor exclusive to firearms. A 'spa pack' which amounts to a 50 amp GFI breaker in a metal box ic $288 at Rona or Home Depot in Regina. The exact piece at Menard's in Minot is $99, nearly 400% more here. I asked the mgr. @ Rona about this and he called me back to say their cost from Federal Pioneer was $206, and he was pissed. This was last Mon. and he said I would hear from him again next week. We had quite a talk about this subject, and he was aware of cross border price diff., but not like this. We'll see how this goes.

Looks to me that we as Canadians are quite used to getting the shaft, and too 'polite' to do anything about it. It's time to start to revolt. Mark
    Last edited by 358; 09-24-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: sp.
    When all is said and done, more will be said than done

A liberal is one who believes he owes a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money...... Gordon Liddy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    When the canadian dollar was at .65 to the Usd the standard excuse was the dollar difference...that made sense but now the standard excuse is red tape and cost to import ... sounds like a bunch of crap to me, distributor greed is the only reason that makes sense.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer joe-nwt's Avatar
    Your question can be explained quite easily.

Canadians love to pay more for everything!
    ...I don't like making plans for the day because then "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom.

I am not demonizing business nor am I bitching about the price. I am wondering why there's a huge difference between list/retail price for one item while there is no difference between list/retail for another item. Beretta manages both brands in the US (not sure about Canada).

I am also not suggesting Wolverine or any other retailer open their books to the public (although I have to admit, I am a fan of their retail price list being posted online). I simply wanted to know what factors influence disparate pricing in the gun industry.

Maybe Sako gives retailers bigger discounts. Maybe Beretta is intent on shafting Canadians. Maybe the retailers stock of U22s was purchased against a strong Euro so the individual guns cost more. Maybe Beretta's webpage has a major typo and instead of $275, it should be $575. Maybe handguns incur higher import fees than hunting rifles. Maybe it is simply because the market will bear a higher price.

Every one of those reasons COULD be valid. I prefer not to speculate.
    P

BANNED
    I have to agree with this, although not the exact same item, go check Savages MSRP prices and I will bet you $50.00 and my left nut that if you shop around enough that you will find equal or even lesser retail pricing from Canadian retailers as well as our sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by RemingtonMarlin View Post
    The gun price starts to be somewhat comparable (especially the new ones) to US prices (even still higher).
    At least that is what I feel. Some of the vendors on CGN are really nice to deal with. Their
    prices are good too (usually with free shipping) when checking with gunbroker website.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123