Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe storage help!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    The legal minimum is just that: the minimum.

What makes my setup safest is that a burglar would likely never see it. My cabinet is .250 steel with hidden hinges. I dare some mook to kick it in. He'll bust a toe.

My most likely burglar is an out of work landscaper looking to feed a habit or a teenaged dips**t.

And leaving weapons under a bed aint gonna make gun ownership less politically unpalatable.

A safe is better than a cabinet is better than a case is better than leaving it under my bed.
    Riiiight.

I guess you have it all figured out for yourself then. But seriously, don't go around talking about "smart and responsible". Because in those fields, i assure you, your 100$ metal box is also the bare minimum.

Burglars break in houses everyday. Its their business. They will go through closets, hidden places, anywhere they know people "hide" their stuff. I'm willing to bet that if you ever get burglarized, you can say bye-bye to your guns. People with a MUCH more secure and out-of-sight setup have seen it happen to them. Don't go and think you've revolutionized the world of firearm safety with a hidden 100$ firearms cabinet.

Come on now...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    Is it legal? Yes.
    Is it smart? No.
    Is it responsible? No.

The firearms that are stolen from you will likely wind up to no-good. Trigger locks aren't worth a crap except to law enforcement or those with very small children. Do it keep the CFO happy? Yup - which is its own reward. Do they make it safer to keep firearms out in the open? Not really.

A scumbag who breaks into your place will steal your shotgun/rifle and he won't use it to hunt for sustenance or practice his marksmanship in your local club. Spend the hundred bucks or so and get a steel gun cabinet from CDN Tire or Costco. I have mine in a discreet yet accessible location so I can keep my guns with ammo handy. It probably takes less time for me to get mounted up than if I had to fish out a shotgun from under my bed, undo a trigger lock, run over to the dresser, grab a magazine or handful of shells and load em up. Certainly a hell of lot less time than grabbing the hard case, undoing the padlock, getting into the case, going over to the dresser and grabbing the shells. In either case, its more secure than leaving them under the bed, regardless of what the law says.

P
    a gun case under the bed is safer then some of the cheap safes if its not bolted down they can just pick it up and walk out with it. and its so thin you just pry it open.. even a high end safe can be broken into if not installed properly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOj...eature=related

For me its about time more then anything else. First they would see the cameras on the outside.. They are in plain sight and some are hiden. The box for that is in the all meaning its wired in but good luck getting it out.. then you have the room the safe is in lock on the door thats the secound lock the third is the safe thats bolted to the floor the 5 is the cable lock locking all the guns to the safe. O did I mentine the dog and house alarm that calls the police as well. For me its about time and how long it would take to get into it find it then open it only to find its a pain to get the stuff out

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationThor View Post
    I have a rifle and shotgun in a plano hard gun case under my bed locked with a key pad lock. No trigger locks, ammo in a drawer in my room aswell.
    I thought that if ammo was in the same room that the ammo had to be locked.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by rangebob View Post
    I thought that if ammo was in the same room that the ammo had to be locked.
    Nothing in the regs except that it must be stored separately unless in a locked case, cabinet or safe.

If your gun is locked in a case you could technically store the ammo in the same case.

If you are storing the ammo outside of that case and the gun is locked in the case, that sounds like it is being stored separately enough to me.

Problem is there is no definition of the terms used in the regs, such as separately.

Open to interpretation, but in court it would come down to what a reasonable person would consider separately, so...............

BANNED
    And just so we are clear, if it was legal I am sure many here would be storing their favourite handgun or shotgun right beside their bed, loaded and unlocked!

It makes me feel safe, and that is my definition of "safe storage"!

For the record, my cabinet isnt a $100 stack on. I simply advised that something was better than nothing. See my other posts for a desc on how it is secured.

I didnt revolutionize security and yes, i believe that the common douchebag burglar is not going to see it. If he does, he will not be able to break in without spending an inordinate amount of time. Possible? Yes. Safer than storing locked and loaded on a nightstand? Yes.

I dont know where you live or what master criminals you encounter but here nearly every burglary is over and done with within 5 minutes. They dont spend the time

CGN Ultra frequent flyer heavyBullet's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that keeping a firearm closed up in a gun case has a greater chance to rust. The foam in those cases can hold in moisture(humidity). I remember someone here showing pics of the rust on his rifle after being stored in a case.

BANNED
    For the record, my cabinet isnt a $100 stack on. I simply advised that something was better than nothing. See my other posts for a desc on how it is secured.

I didnt revolutionize security and yes, i believe that the common douchebag burglar is not going to see it. If he does, he will not be able to break in without spending an inordinate amount of time. Possible? Yes. Safer than storing locked and loaded on a nightstand? Yes.

I dont know where you live or what master criminals you encounter but here nearly every burglary is over and done with within 5 minutes. They dont spend the time
    You did mention that what you have is a gun cabinet, not a safe.

So about that five minutes...have you watched the video??

[YOUTUBE]nBhOjWHbD6M[/YOUTUBE]

1minute 42 seconds to get in a 1000$ safe.

Still feel secure with your "cabinet"?

Give a burglar 4 minutes in your home with a regular pry bar...probably around 2-3 minutes to find your cabinet (which is a very, very long time when you're ransaking a house), no more than a minute to break into it.

If you want to protect your guns from burglary, you need more than just a good safe, let alone a gun cabinet. Anyone who's already been burglarized by the typical douchebag burglar can probably tell you just how much "damage" they can do in a very, very small amount of time.

By the way, burglaries around here are usually over with in less than 3 minutes.

There was a guy a couple days ago who made a thread about how the burglars stole his hidden safe, ripped it straight out of the wall.

So i'm just saying you know...good for you if you feel secure with your setup, i just hope you don't get burglarized, because chances are you'll be proved wrong. Remember this : a gun cabinet is only good to keep honest people out...kids, wife, etc...but a burglar? not so much.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sewktbk View Post
    You did mention that what you have is a gun cabinet, not a safe.
    Not according to the latest court decision (Johnny Sombrero / Barnes decision)
    If it's steel, it's a safe legally.

Underwriters Laboratories (UL) defines a safe differently.

Quote Originally Posted by sewktbk View Post
    There was a guy a couple days ago who made a thread about how the burglars stole his hidden safe, ripped it straight out of the wall.
    Got link?
    One eye to the past. One eye to the future. The wisest course.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by rangebob View Post
    Not according to the latest court decision (Johnny Sombrero / Barnes decision)
    If it's steel, it's a safe legally.

Underwriters Laboratories (UL) defines a safe differently.
    We're not talking about the legal definition here, we're simply talking about the fact that what he has is one of those 100$ CT cabinets thats far easier to break into than a 500$ dollar one. We are not discussing wether what he has is legal or not...I don't care about that....i'm simply telling him that he shouldn't feel THAT secure against burglars with his hidden metal box bolted to the wall... That WON'T be enough to stop a thief.

Got link?
    I'll try to find it again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast