Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Safe storage help!

Safe storage help!

I have a rifle and shotgun in a plano hard gun case under my bed locked with a key pad lock. No trigger locks, ammo in a drawer in my room aswell.

Is this setup legal?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry, 1775

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tuco Pike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationThor View Post
    I have a rifle and shotgun in a plano hard gun case under my bed (fine) locked with a key pad lock. (even better) No trigger locks (fine), ammo in a drawer in my room as well (what better place for it).

Is this setup legal? YES

Thanks in advance for the help!
    I would suggest that if you aren't concerned with dust, quicker access would be to have them under the bed in no case, but with a combination trigger lock on them.

Is it legal? Yes.
    Is it smart? No.
    Is it responsible? No.

The firearms that are stolen from you will likely wind up to no-good. Trigger locks aren't worth a crap except to law enforcement or those with very small children. Do it keep the CFO happy? Yup - which is its own reward. Do they make it safer to keep firearms out in the open? Not really.

A scumbag who breaks into your place will steal your shotgun/rifle and he won't use it to hunt for sustenance or practice his marksmanship in your local club. Spend the hundred bucks or so and get a steel gun cabinet from CDN Tire or Costco. I have mine in a discreet yet accessible location so I can keep my guns with ammo handy. It probably takes less time for me to get mounted up than if I had to fish out a shotgun from under my bed, undo a trigger lock, run over to the dresser, grab a magazine or handful of shells and load em up. Certainly a hell of lot less time than grabbing the hard case, undoing the padlock, getting into the case, going over to the dresser and grabbing the shells. In either case, its more secure than leaving them under the bed, regardless of what the law says.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco Pike View Post
    I would suggest that if you aren't concerned with dust, quicker access would be to have them under the bed in no case, but with a combination trigger lock on them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    All you need to be concerned with is legal. Anything more is up to you.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TERMINATOR101CA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pubb View Post
    Is it legal? Yes.
    Is it smart? No.
    Is it responsible? No.

The firearms that are stolen from you will likely wind up to no-good. Trigger locks aren't worth a crap except to law enforcement or those with very small children. Do it keep the CFO happy? Yup - which is its own reward. Do they make it safer to keep firearms out in the open? Not really.

A scumbag who breaks into your place will steal your shotgun/rifle and he won't use it to hunt for sustenance or practice his marksmanship in your local club. Spend the hundred bucks or so and get a steel gun cabinet from CDN Tire or Costco. I have mine in a discreet yet accessible location so I can keep my guns with ammo handy. It probably takes less time for me to get mounted up than if I had to fish out a shotgun from under my bed, undo a trigger lock, run over to the dresser, grab a magazine or handful of shells and load em up. Certainly a hell of lot less time than grabbing the hard case, undoing the padlock, getting into the case, going over to the dresser and grabbing the shells. In either case, its more secure than leaving them under the bed, regardless of what the law says.

P
    I can kick the door of the aforementioned steel cabinets without much effort.
    You cannot stop a determined thief ...........so let's forget about that. I have a safe, but it doesn't make me feel better about somebody breaking in.

The setup the OP has is perfectly legal, nothing more is required .
    Kate Beckinsale :
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    I'd love to look at her Underworld!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly pete View Post
    And give it a lycan

BANNED
    Is it legal? Yes.
    Is it smart? No.
    Is it responsible? No.

P
    oh, and you think a steel cabinet will stop a burglar?

You'll have to do more than that to outsmart them buddy...If you want to talk about "smart and responsible", maybe you should consider an actual safe, and even then...there was this case i remember where a guy had his 1700 lbs safe stolen. So yeah. Still feel so good about your cabinet?

I assure you, your 100$ cabinet at CT is no more burglar-proof than a gun under a bed...They break through your house door, don't go and think a cabinet door is a big challenge for them. Burglars steal for a living, remember? If you can open your gun cabinet with a crowbar, they WILL do just that. Just another day without any bumps in the road for them.

BANNED
    Is it legal? Yes.
    Is it smart? No.
    Is it responsible? No.

P

A stack on gun cabinet is about as easy to break into as that hard case!

You are irresponsible for having anything less than a 200lb safe in your house!

Actually I think only a centralized storage facility under police supervision is the only responsible choice.

He asked if his setup was legal and it is. Your opinion about keeping guns out of thieves hands is exactly what the anti's will use to confiscate our guns eventually.

If someone breaks into my house I am not gonna feel bad that my guns are stolen because of what might happen to them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer StoneHorse's Avatar
    STORAGE OF NON-RESTRICTED FIREARMS

5. (1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
    (a) it is unloaded;
    (b) it is
    (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
    (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
    (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
    (c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
    Defund the Liberal propaganda ministry, AKA the CBC.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

BANNED
    Looks like the others beat me to it. LOL

I guess this is why these smilies are available.

:stfun00

Not that I'm actually saying that or anything.............

The legal minimum is just that: the minimum.

What makes my setup safest is that a burglar would likely never see it. My cabinet is .250 steel with hidden hinges. I dare some mook to kick it in. He'll bust a toe.

My most likely burglar is an out of work landscaper looking to feed a habit or a teenaged dip####.

And leaving weapons under a bed aint gonna make gun ownership less politically unpalatable.

A safe is better than a cabinet is better than a case is better than leaving it under my bed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast