Mossberg MVP

MVP arrived today from CanAm

Tried pmags, usgi, lar15, press check, and mossberg mags. All function (3 dummy rounds through each)

The press check mag needed a little sanding at the back but all function :)

I bought two extra lar15 mags and they fit and function flawlessly!

I was under the impression that the 10 round AR mags were only to be used with AR's?
What does the law say?

The restriction is on the magazine not the rifle. You can be charged with possession of a prohibited item just for having an empty magazine on you. Just make sure the mag is marked as being for an AR pistol. All the LAR-15 and XCR-L mags that I have seen were labelled "PISTOL MAGAZINE".

To get higher capacity mags for this rifle, all a Mossberg would have to do is cut a small key-way into the side of the mag well. Then a mag producer, who makes plastic mags, would just have to epoxy a small key tab on the side of their mag and mark the package for "Bolt Action Only". Call it the "MVP Canadian". Standard AR mags would still fit into the MVP but the special mags would not fit into any semi-auto rifle. It comes down to demand, I guess, but it's not a hard or expensive thing to do. It could even be done as a retro-fit, as long as the RCMP signed off on the modified magazines, which I can't see them not doing for any legal reason.

You can use the lar15 pistol mags in what ever they fit in and function.

Even better would be beowulf mags :)

I don't think the .223 rounds would stay in the Beowulf mag. I have some XCR-L mags in 7.62x39mm, and the feed lips are spaced too far apart to hold .223's. One round will stay in, but not two. Maybe the Beowulf mags are setup differently though since I think they stack in a single column.

I don't think the .223 rounds would stay in the Beowulf mag. I have some XCR-L mags in 7.62x39mm, and the feed lips are spaced too far apart to hold .223's. One round will stay in, but not two. Maybe the Beowulf mags are setup differently though since I think they stack in a single column.

They fit :)

try searching youtube with beowulf 223

These rifles have started to "trickle" in now.

The quantities being received however are now where near what we have on order.

We are hoping that Mossberg can up the production on these rifles, and get enough the satisfy the Canadian market shortly.

Thanks,

Jon

I saw the 27717 and 27719 at Reliable in Vancouver. Do you know anyone that has shot this rifle or any of the variants of it. I have been asking around but not much of a response.

A buddy from around here picked up a .223 variant lately (he's a member here), he says he really likes it! I want, and WILL get the .308 model when i find one!

Ahhh... apparently the .308 version will only be avail here in 2014! Oh well, i guess ill just have to buy a couple rifles in between then.... ;-)

Last edited:
I put about 500 rounds through my MVP this year. Really like it, shoots well. Here's some groups I've shot.

Rifle
v0vK7Ci.jpg

100 Yards - 10 shot group
XEjsuNZ.jpg

300 yards 5 shot group 1
nyrQrAE.jpg

300 yards 5 shot group 2
2J0xGeR.jpg

^^^ At what range were those groups shot at? Hopefully, more than 200 yds. No offence, but I don't see where you could claim that it "shoots well".

To get higher capacity mags for this rifle, all a Mossberg would have to do is cut a small key-way into the side of the mag well. Then a mag producer, who makes plastic mags, would just have to epoxy a small key tab on the side of their mag and mark the package for "Bolt Action Only". Call it the "MVP Canadian". Standard AR mags would still fit into the MVP but the special mags would not fit into any semi-auto rifle. It comes down to demand, I guess, but it's not a hard or expensive thing to do. It could even be done as a retro-fit, as long as the RCMP signed off on the modified magazines, which I can't see them not doing for any legal reason.

This is an excellent idea!

Also the 7.62 version of these is coming out, Takes M-14 and AR10 mags which is interesting, but also ships with its own 10 round mag. If the 10 round mag is proprietory to the MVP and also fits the M14, AR10 or both, the mags alone will sell like hotcakes!

Err... what? what kind of magazine design will work in an AR-10 and an M14?!

unpossible!

This is an excellent idea!

Also the 7.62 version of these is coming out, Takes M-14 and AR10 mags which is interesting, but also ships with its own 10 round mag. If the 10 round mag is proprietory to the MVP and also fits the M14, AR10 or both, the mags alone will sell like hotcakes!

Maybe. We'll have to take a look at the magazine when it comes out. The 7.62 MVP definitely functions with both types of magazines with no modification, so it is certainly possible that its magazines could also work the other way.

There is some precendent for this. Once upon a time there were mags that functioned in both Mini 14s and ARs.

^^^ At what range were those groups shot at? Hopefully, more than 200 yds. No offence, but I don't see where you could claim that it "shoots well".

Look above the picture, I have the range listed.

I guess "shoots well" is a subjective term. 100 yards, 7 out of 10 shots touching, all 10 under an inch is "well" for me

Other are both 300 yards. All factory ammo, was trying different types out.

Last edited:
Look above the picture, I have the range listed.

I guess "shoots well" is a subjective term. 100 yards, 7 out of 10 shots touching, all 10 under an inch is "well" for me

Other are both 300 yards. All factory ammo, was trying different types out.

Red barrel and oversize bolt come standard?! If not where did you obtain those?

Back
Top Bottom