Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P15

Smith & Wesson M&P15

Hey all:

I just picked up an M&P15 on Saturday and noticed that it did not come with a flash suppressor yet the pic on the S&W website shows the M7P with an A2 suppressor. Is this an export restriction?

Any suggestions for adding a suppressor? I see they range in price from around $10.00-150.00+

Cheers,
    Len

CGN frequent flyer
    i thought they were illegal in canada? if thats the case then they wouldnt ship you one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canuck44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lnp00 View Post
    Hey all:

I just picked up an M&P15 on Saturday and noticed that it did not come with a flash suppressor yet the pic on the S&W website shows the M7P with an A2 suppressor. Is this an export restriction?

Any suggestions for adding a suppressor? I see they range in price from around $10.00-150.00+

Cheers,
    Len
    Suppressor's aka silencers are illegal in Canada. Flash suppressors aren't, my M14 came with one.

Take Care

Bob
    A recent study has shown 1 out of 3 liberals are as stupid as the other 2.
    "If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Suffer the fools with grace...God made enough of them

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by uchi View Post
    i thought they were illegal in canada? if thats the case then they wouldnt ship you one.
    Flash hiders illegal in Canada? Nope...

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge the early ones did not come with a flash hider, later ones to come into Canada did have them. The one I bought came out of the box with flash hider.

Noise supressors are illegal flash supressors are not

not having a flash hider on your m&p sounds like more like a US export restriction at the time.

i've stopped trying to figure it out as i see plenty of stuff come in with flash hiders, and plenty without flash hiders to make it easier to export out of the US.

Quote Originally Posted by lnp00 View Post
    Hey all:

Cheers,
    Len
    M&P 15-22? There are versions in Canada that don't have a threaded barrel, therefore don't come with a flash suppressor.

Yup, it's an export restriction from the US. I'm sure someone can give details as to why, but that is the case. Same reason why the keltec rfb's don't come to Canada with a flash hider.
    You'd have to strip the barrel from the upper, (if you know how, and have the tools), and then have a qualified gunsmith thread the barrel. Or send the whole gun in for disassembly and rework.
    I have one, and thought about doing this, too much work in my opinion. Save your money and build yourself a shorty upper instead, it'll cost more, but be way more satisfying. Just my 2 cents.
    Sig Sauer P226

CGN Regular
    thats a export restriction from the united states... basically a rifle can be shipped if its considered a sproting rifle, if it qualifies as a assault rifle, it cannot... the rifle becomes an assault rifle if it has more than 2 or 3 (correct me if im wrong) assault rifle features.. such as a collapsible stock, flash suppressor/hider, removable magazine, so thats why so many M&P 15's come with one of the three... its perfectly legal in canada to add your stock aftermarket tho...in the states, different story

Quote Originally Posted by martinjozwa View Post
    thats a export restriction from the united states... basically a rifle can be shipped if its considered a sproting rifle, if it qualifies as a assault rifle, it cannot... the rifle becomes an assault rifle if it has more than 2 or 3 (correct me if im wrong) assault rifle features.. such as a collapsible stock, flash suppressor/hider, removable magazine, so thats why so many M&P 15's come with one of the three... its perfectly legal in canada to add your stock aftermarket tho...in the states, different story
    Add "bayonet lug" to the list.

Isn't it weird to see instances of Canadian law being better than American? We can also have guns mailed to our houses and attach shoulder stocks to handguns. Americans have to ship to an FFL (licenced dealer) and go through a lot of paperwork plus pay a $200 fee for a shoulder stock.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    - Seneca the Younger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast