New caliber to convert .32 acp pistols to restricted

epps

Regular
Business Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
We are anouncing the creation of the .30 Reid caliber, it is .32 acp sized down to .308 dia bullets. This means some of the .32 acp pistols can be rebarreled to the new caliber and registered as restricted with a 106mm or longer barrel. Redding has gratefully made dies for us and hornady and sierra have bullets available to fit the new cartridge.

Redding dies $147.99, our code 80000-30r
Bullets
Hornady 86gr Rn, #3100 $18.99
Hornady 90gr Xtp #31000 $21.99
Sierra 85gr RN $ TBD
Brass Rem #22484A 100 pcs $ TBD

Pricing for conversions depends on how complicated the barrel is to duplicate. Walther PP's, PPk"s, Cz 50's, price is approxitmatly $150.00.

We have tested some reloads and load data is the same as .32 acp, as always start at lowest load in book.

That is awesome news. Will you guys take transfers of prohibited handguns for those of us that don't have 12.6 to do the work?

This could be a huge money-maker for EPPS if they would use their licence and accept 12(6) pistols in the mail (from a seller) and convert them over to "restricted" (for buyers). I suppose they would have to get the pistol re-evaluated with the CFO (or RCMP) guys.

Procedures for converting a Prohibited .32-calibre firearm to .30 Reid are as follows:

* The owner of the Prohibited firearm must ship the firearm to Ellwood Epps, with all required information.

* Ellwood Epps will convert the pistol to .30 Reid, and submit all required paperwork to the Chief Firearms Office for approval.

* Once the approval has been received and the pistol is registered as a Restricted firearm, Ellwood Epps will then transfer the pistol out of the ownership of the Prohibited license holder, to the Restricted license holder.

The gun will then be released to the new Restricted owner once the transfer has been approved.

DO NOT send Prohibited firearms through the mail for conversion without first contacting Ellwood Epps. We cannot transfer Prohibited firearms to those individuals that do not have Prohib 12.6 status on their license. Transfers can ONLY be completed ONCE THE CONVERSION PROCESS HAS BEEN COMPLETED.

If you are sending any firearm into our store for sale, consignment or repair, we do require all of the following information FROM THE ORIGINAL PROHIBITED LICENSE HOLDER, AND FROM THE RESTRICTED BUYER AS WELL.

your full name
your address with postal code
your telephone number with area code
your PAL license number with expiry date
the registration certificate number for each firearm

Without this information we cannot accept your firearm(s) into our inventory.

Getting prohib pistols to us.

In order to get .32acp pistols rebarreled, the current licensed owner can mail them or bring them to us with an att. As a business we cannot transfer prohib pistols to our business license. We also do the verifications to restricted and can transfer them to the new owner.

I am having a Nazi marked Femaru P37 changed over to .30 Reid for $225. A little more money than the first forum notes. Epp's is very easy to work with . I will let you know how the gun turns out in a month or so.

I am having a Nazi marked Femaru P37 changed over to .30 Reid for $225. A little more money than the first forum notes. Epp's is very easy to work with . I will let you know how the gun turns out in a month or so.

Perhaps there are a few more of those around than I originally thought. :cool:
Looking forward to the update.

Here is the Nazi marked Femaru prior to change over.

004-1.jpg

019.jpg

I'd like to see some pictures of the .32ACP cartridge vs .30 reid cartridge.

Maybe I could get my hands on a restricted only Mauser HSC or CZ 50/CZ 70 with this setup.

Just to remind everyone that once the very last prohib is off your PAL, you lose prohib license for good.
Convert however many you soul likes, but if you want to be able to buy prohibs, keep the very last one!
Keep the last one.

Last edited:
Quick question, does anyone know the barrel length of the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless? and if this conversion could be applied to this pistol?

I believe the 1903 runs 3 3/4" to 4" depending on the version. Epps would need to rebarrel with a new .30 cal barrel anyway so they would make it a bit longer than the prohib length. It would extend a bit past the slide but that's not the end of the world.

I wonder - could these be rebarrelled with a barrel stamped '7.65 mm Browning?' That would take 32acp brass, bullets and dies as-is because 7.65mm is the euro designation for the 32 ACP; which is, of course, not *actually* a '32 caliber' at all (just like the 38 special is actually closer to a 36 caliber than a 38, for example)

did the cfc change their policy again on cal change? I thought change in cal would not make .32's restricted as the receiver was always prohib. they seem to change back and forth every few years.

While I'm not interested in these pistols, I think it's fantastic that this is able to be done. Great thinking and maybe there are some other style guns that can be converted to *whatever* too.

Back
Top Bottom