Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: S&W 1911 100th Anniversary Edition

Does anyone know which one it is, I know I saw two different ones or am I just going to have to wait until I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumack View Post
    Does anyone know which one it is, I know I saw two different ones or am I just going to have to wait until I get it.
    Its the fish scaled one SFRC has pictured on their website. Mines is suppose to ship tomororw. I'm getting giddy.

Quote Originally Posted by TXHybridXT View Post
    I had cancelled my order with another vendor cause I just found out my wife is pregant two days ago. That and Im not too fond of the fish scale serrations of the export. Now Im sitting here thinking if I should of cancelled it or not. Oh decisions decisions. I realize it will be a rare 1911 and Im into collecting smiths. How much do you think these guns will be worth in the future? What should I do guys!
    No one can predict the way gun values will go. Anniversary or Special Editions are even more of a crapshoot. Just look at the how well all those Model 94 Commemoratives have done over the years - lol. As far as this Smith goes, on the upside it's not badly priced and it is a S&W, which goes for something. On the downside there is a proliferation of 100-year 1911's out there which muddies the waters and the aforementioned fact that usually Special Edition "Collector" guns seldom really are that special or collectible.

Using history as a guide, for the same money there are far better proven investment guns out there. Look for mint Colt Python's, Diamondback's or if you're lucky a well-priced Second Gen SAA. If it's Smith's you like you can't go wrong buying a nice Model 29-2 or my personal pick to really shoot up in value a 17-6. Even a pretty 586 or 586-1 can be had for a resonable money right now. Really any minty wheelgun that is nicely blued with original wood stocks will without a doubt hold or climb in value. If it's a pistol not a revolver that you crave then clean, original, US marked 1911's are probably a safe bet as are Inglis Hi-Powers. The 70 series Colt's also come to mind.

The crappy part about all this is that the more I think about it there are just so many cool gun's out there that are worth owning and keeping, but certainly not enough cash in my bank account to fulfill the fantasy of my dream collection. Which BTW, with enough surplus cash, quite possibly would include the 100th Anniversary 1911 S&W.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumack View Post
    You are paying $1500. for a gun and you don;t know what it looks like!?

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Dude is from AB, $1500 is like bit of OT. Looks like it has a barrel and trigger :D
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    You are paying $1500. for a gun and you don;t know what it looks like!?
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 2strklvr View Post
    No one can predict the way gun values will go. Anniversary or Special Editions are even more of a crapshoot. Just look at the how well all those Model 94 Commemoratives have done over the years - lol. As far as this Smith goes, on the upside it's not badly priced and it is a S&W, which goes for something. On the downside there is a proliferation of 100-year 1911's out there which muddies the waters and the aforementioned fact that usually Special Edition "Collector" guns seldom really are that special or collectible.
    The example of the Winchester Model 94 is half right, half wrong. There have been dozens of such commemorative editions, and there not so limited. It was not a good start for an investment. Yet, they are still gorgeous in a collection (I bought a second hand one, and I love it). I consider them as a good deal now for pleasure.

The SW is limited to 250 items, and is in my eyes one of the nicest commemorative edition for this 100th anniversary. I saw one at CRAFM yesterday, and it is a really pretty toy. They will sell fast, and I would not be surprised they gain value. Yet, I still think one should buy such a gun for pleasure, not as an investment (too risky), especially as if one just wants to make money, one cannot shoot with. It is quite sad.

I just finished processing the presales and there are 10 left. See the first post for the link to buy one.

Ryan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    ANYONE SHOOT IT? Range Reports.

Hopefully get mine by next Friday.
    Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

BANNED
    it is the same gun the picture is just showing both sides, anyways,if you notice on the bottom right corner, (the smaller picture in the presentation box) this picture has the gold smith medallion on the grip, the enlarged pictures dont,what gives? what gun am i really getting lol????

The big gun in the picture.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789