Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2012 - Revolvers

CGN frequent flyer
    The 629 Stealth Hunter is definitely a fine looking creature.

I'll get excited when the Python returns.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mr00jimbo's Avatar
    I thought that 586 was a Python for a second. I went

CGN Regular i-owe-so-off-to-work-i-go's Avatar
    I bought my 586 back in about '87. Great gun, extremely accurate.
    Support our troops. If you can't stand behind them, stand in front of them.
    Mission and District Rod and Gun Club
    BCWF
    NFA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BabySeal's Avatar
    I am eagerly waiting for those .22 SP101s to arrive in-country.

I am also crossing my fingers that they offer one in .22wmr. Looks like there is plenty of cylinder there for it...

Just got my GP100 4.2" in blue....from Epps...Can't wait.

Love that blinged out snub nose. Too bad we can't get that here.
    Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm. – Unknown

I was very disapointed at the S&W booth and there sales team, very sub par on both ends!
    I f I was looking for a high end revolver, I am sorry to say, that S&W has lost there quailty control and lack of commitment in putting out an excellent handgun. I am not a hater of Smiths, just the opposite, I collect and shoot S&W wheel guns! WHen inquriing about a custom model 27, I was directed to go pick a Performance model gun, and if I did not like that too F**K**G BAD! SO anyone looking to order a custom S&W not already built by the Peformance centre is out of luck! Funny I thought custom shop meant you build the gun to order, custom pays for that extra work?

I went expressly to the Ruger booth to look at the new SP 101 22lr, nice for the money, need a little extra work to slick it up, but otherwise a great starter revolver or trap line gun, there other revolvers are made strong and dependable as ever, a real great sales team who would awnser all and every question!

Colt sorry to say will not be making available from the custom shop at this time the Colt Python, I talked to Brent who is the manager of this section. He informed me he does not have the staff who is capable to put together newly made Pythons as they require a skilled smith with excellent filing skills. I ask if they are thinking of putting any double action pisto back into production, he remarked that if done it will be a coil spring, as V spring gun is to expensive to put back into production. Brent said more than likely will be a detective special, King Cobra or a Tropper model. There single action army revolvers are still a very precise model that attracted alot of attention. If you are looking for a Colt made singleaction that it precise and well finished, this is the company to build it!

These were the three botths wich I only visited to see there double/single action revolvers, there were others out of the middle East, but i payed no attension to there product. I had a wonderful time im at the Las Vegas 2012 SHOTSOW, cheers Dale Z!

Quote Originally Posted by zywina View Post
    I was very disappointed at the S&W booth and their sales team, very sub par on both ends!

<snip>
    Thank you for a very informative report. I too am very disappointed to hear about S&W -- but not surprised. I've seen other reports saying bad things about their crowns.

Good to hear Ruger is trying hard and Colt, if it ever puts its DAs back in production, will still make a quality product. As for the Python, that sort of quality will not be seen again until CNC machines are an order of magnitude more precise.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    - Seneca the Younger

CGN frequent flyer
    CNC machines are already extremely precise, certainly moreso than is required for a revolver's lockwork. The issue is that revolver mechanisms were never designed to be replicated to a high degree of precision, and it seems like there hasn't been much effort into redesigning the revolver from the inside-out to take advantage of modern manufacturing methods and the tolerances that can be achieved.

So, really, what choice does Colt have? They can either hire expensive 'smiths to do the handfitting like it used to be done, or invest in new equipment to achieve the necessary precision and engineers to redesign the DA revolver... for a market where the desire for such a firearm is disappearing among mainstream gun buyers, except for novelty. Both choices will result in the initial run being stupid expensive, and the second choice has the backlash of it "not being handmade", which is some sort of mystical voodoo especially among those spending high dollar on firearms.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast