$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 1 of 39 1234567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: M14.ca Blackfeather RS Rifle Stock OFFICIAL UPDATE THREAD

Business Member

M14.ca Blackfeather RS Rifle Stock OFFICIAL UPDATE THREAD

NEW: Blackfeather "RS" Oprod Guide and Anti Wear Plate available as a separate purchase from this link
    NEW: Blackfeather "RS" pre-order page available now! Visit www.m14.ca
    NEW: Photo updates of Blackfeather anodized on Page 8 and 9.

More toys to play with this weekend....going to do a 1000 round test as soon as ammo. arrives from Canada Ammo (looks like Mon./Tues.). I picked up a 900 round box of Norinco ammo. for sheer abuse (it's re-loadable too). I also have 200 rounds of PRVI Partizan to put through her Sunday.

We continue to do accuracy testing with Federal 168gr. HP. It's very interesting to see how POI shifts with various ammo. using the adjustable oprod guide.

Below is shown the adjustable/tunable oprod guide with new revisions just out of the machine. I installed the finished version on my rifle stock tonight. It includes a 1/2"x20 set screw that is 1/4" long and a locking bolt that locks adjustments, a coiled roll pin and 3 x 10-32 1/8" long set screws. I peened my barrel tonight and she's on tight, alignment was perfect.

A new Youtube video guys...not that great a video (best I can do for now).
    Last edited by M14.CA; 01-31-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added Youtube video
    M14.ca + Official Forum
    Blackfeather "RS" Rifle Stock
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    Direct email: info@m14.ca Tel. 250-888.9982
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW

BANNED
    Overal wieght?
    Also how is this "tunable oprod guide" such an inprovement? Plus how does one prevent this part from wiggling free from the stock as this area of the rilfe is constaly has movement & force? Sort of like a SAGE concept?
    Intregued thats for sure.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Satain View Post
    Overal wieght?
    Also how is this "tunable oprod guide" such an inprovement? Plus how does one prevent this part from wiggling free from the stock as this area of the rilfe is constaly has movement & force? Sort of like a SAGE concept? Intregued thats for sure.
    About 2.6lbs? I am still working on the oprod guide now but oprod guide "tuning," for me at least, is defined as:

1. Being able to have enough adjustment to "locate" the oprod guide over the barrel for perfect alignment both fore and aft as well as side to side. There are several ways the oprod can be placed into perfect position and several ways the oprod can be fastened to the stock securely. Even the stock plays a role via a buttressed channel that will not allow the oprod guide to rotate out of alignment.

and...

2. Using the built-in vertical adjustment to tune barrel harmonics for various loads. This up and down movement of the oprod guide is done via a 1/2x20x1/4 set screw and locked via a 1/4x20 locking bolt. This is supported by a .010 steel shim and the stock itself. I use a steel shim only to protect the stock's anodizing: it is not a vital part.

My oprod guide uses:

a buttressed channel inside the stock to support it for zero rotation
    3 set screws to align it
    a 1/8" coiled pin to secure it
    A larger bearing surface than a standard oprod guide (I would compare it to some of the larger, National Match oprod guides? Maybe?)
    A large 1/2"x 20 set screw to adjust it vertically (once your adjustments have been made, you can permanently lock this set screw and then lock the oprod guide by fastening the locking bolt as below).
    And a 1/4x20 locking bolt to lock it
    And don't forget the barrel peening trick! :D

Right now, my opinion is that I do not think it is possible, with a proper installation, to move the oprod guide out of alignment fore or aft or side to side. I think that is a real improvement. This is my 7th oprod guide so far and probably the best one. I am going to shoot about 1200 rounds through it within days so we'll see if I can make any more improvements to the original USGI oprod guide.

If you want to talk more about it, call me at 250 721 3444 between 8am and 8pm Pacific Standard Time.

Cheers,
    -Frank
    M14.ca + Official Forum
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet driller212's Avatar
    I like the aesthetics of the stock. Very nice. I don't know anything about oprod guides or barrel harmonizing... I am more into the look and durability of an aluminum chassis. I also like your scope mount, it looks like it would be a close match to my hand guard rail! excellent work!

J
    Shootin' stuff in the Wild West

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS INITIATIVE: http://www.wildernessprotection.ca/

Very nice!

Any chance do we ever to see this chassis in production?

Any estimation on price if it happens?

Thx

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spcamno View Post
    Very nice!
    Any chance do we ever to see this chassis in production?
    Any estimation on price if it happens?
    Thx
    This chassis is going into production in late April (I will complete a thorough battery of tests first to qualitative prove it out. This is my 7th oprod guide. I learned a lot from the earlier versions). The stock itself and it's oprod guide interface are complete. I have 400 feet of aluminum block right now. I can tell you more by email or call me at 250 721 3444 and I can discuss.

A few other notes:

The stock will ship with 2, 4" removable rails which you can place in various locations fore and aft along the picatinny guide track on both sides of the stock. You can remove the lower 6" rail and put it on the side as well of leave it out. All pic. rails are "keyed" to the guide rail: a feature we decided would be suitable for moving, for example, a flashlight, aft, nearer one's thumb.

The tolerances for the bedding surfaces of the M14 are extremely precise and accurate. We have a consulting gunsmith, 2 expert machinists and a Canadian Forces veteran who has been participating in some of the stock's trials.

We have strengthened the stock in innumerable ways, inside and out, the details of which are too long too list. Every detail was carefully considered for long life and strength.

One of my favorite things is the natural trigger ergonomics: the stock's scalloping along the side offers a relieved contour placement of one's trigger finger in the safe position. The trigger is also set back enough to allow for proper removal of the trigger group and the distance affords a balance between long and short finger reach to the trigger pad. It just feels right in the hand.

The rear butt stock adapter can be replaced with a side folding mechanism AND you can use both a AR15 carbine AND a AR15 rifle butt stock for ultimate rigidity.

The natural height of the buttstock is suited to BOTH irons AND optics right now. I have scope mounts for scopes and red dots all of which have back up sight systems.

After Blackfeather is complete, I will start on a new muzzle brake and adjustable front sight base to complete my "rifle system" concept.

Overall, the stock is a true monolithic part. It is machined from one solid piece of aluminum.

Another feature is that the lower stock will fit many existing upper handguards in the marketplace. The Ultimak rail, however, may need a little inletting in order to fit but generally speaking, most upper rails should be compatible. I have not tried them all.

I think the best overall feature though is the interchangeability of components. The concept of the Blackfeather "RS" rifle system allows you to choose how you want to run your rifle.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 03-29-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    M14.ca + Official Forum
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW

Will you offer various finish colors?
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet 300Spartans's Avatar
    I don't know if you would consider this, but making a retractable stock, such as the Sage features, would be nice. Or, a folding arm that can collapse to different lengths.
    It's not the equipment, it's you!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 300Spartans View Post
    I don't know if you would consider this, but making a retractable stock, such as the Sage features, would be nice. Or, a folding arm that can collapse to different lengths.
    I was wondering if something like the NEA PDW stock would work on the chassis, it would be similar to the Sage then (since the blackfeather is already set up for the AR tube).

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyn View Post
    I was wondering if something like the NEA PDW stock would work on the chassis, it would be similar to the Sage then (since the blackfeather is already set up for the AR tube).
    Interestingly, it looks like the scalloping I have included as a "ready position" for my trigger finger will neatly seat the NEA PDW tubes in the closed position but it remains to be seen if the alignment is correct (the scalloping is identical on both sides of the stock). So, yes, maybe it will work? It will work extended of course.

M14.ca + Official Forum
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW

Page 1 of 39 1234567891121 ... LastLast