Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classification of SA rimfire rifles with barrel length < 18.5 in

Classification of SA rimfire rifles with barrel length < 18.5 in

Hi everyone, I took the CFSC last week and a question was raised that caused some lively debate. When reading about the classes of firearms specifically restricted firearms the course manual defines a restricted long arm as a semi automatic rifle or shotgun that fires centre-fire ammunition and has a barrel length less than 470mm or 18.5 inches. I asked if semi-auto rim fire rifles with a barrel length less than 18.5 inches were in turn considered restricted and in the ensuing debate the conversation turned elsewhere. I myself forgot all about it until today when i started looking at the CRFSC manuals. It was just something i was just curious about and thought maybe someone could clear up some confusion.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ultimate_monkey's Avatar
    it depends on the platform of the rifle...

somthing like the S&W M&P15-22 is restricted at any barrel length as its an AR variant..

BUT

if you take say a ruger sr22 and BUY a premanufactred barrel at less then 18.5 install it and the gun still meets the minimum O.A.L then its still classed as non-restricted.

the same goes for shotguns, you can buty 12-14-16" barrels for like the remingtong 870 series as well as others, and its still non-res.

cutting your existing barrel down on the other hand is a BIG no no

CGN Regular
    When my 702 plinkster was registered in the now gone LGR the registration listed the barrel length as <470mm (aka rim fire under 18.5")

Rimfire, semi-auto rifles regardless of barrel length are normally non-restricted unless they are classed as a variant of something that's restricted or prohibited.
    EOSC.ca

aah i see so an ar variant with a .22 conversion (or a purpsoe built ar in .22lr)with bl <18.5 inches would be considered restricted but a rifle like the ruger 10/22 compact with its 16.5 inch barrell would be considered non restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by thaeffman View Post
    aah i see so an ar variant with a .22 conversion (or a purpsoe built ar in .22lr)with bl <18.5 inches would be considered restricted but a rifle like the ruger 10/22 compact with its 16.5 inch barrell would be considered non restricted.
    Sadly you could omit the the bl qualification. Any AR variant is considered restricted, regardless of barrel length. A good comparison would be the MP15 compared to the Mossberg Tactical .22. They both look like an AR more or less, but the M&P receiver is pretty much identical to an AR, therefore it's considered a variant and restricted, while the butt ugly Mossberg is not. It's important to make the distinction between an AR variant, and a gun that just looks like an AR. A Ruger 10/22 with a Marauder kit for example, looks like an Assault Rifle, the G36. While there IS a non-restricted G36, and you can convert an SL8, either one of those with a short barrel would become restricted whereas you can pin the stock on the Marauder and put a 12" barrel without having to worry. Did I mention that our gun laws make no sense?

Im confused.... Lol. I'm looking for a 22lr or 22magnum (rather have this) rifle that is shorter then 18, would like one that is a 6-14 inch

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    Ok Center fire semi auto have to have a 18.5 inch barrel and be longer then 26 inches. All AR 15 are restricted all AK 47 are prohibited with the exemption the hunter which is a 308 win version. (its written into it so it's silly) All other rifles and shotguns have to be 26 inches or longer. That's it any barrel length over 4.14 inches (or it's prohibited) and over all length. Semi has both 26 inches long and 18.5 for semi auto center fire only. Make a semi auto center fire rifle under that (or shotgun) it's restricted.

It comes down to the action as some rifles are restricted because the manfacture used a pistol frame to make a rifle even though its more then long enough and has a rifle stock there are some 357 mag, 410 rifles and shotguns that are restricted because it works like a revolver.

In the USA the Henry mares legs are pistols in Canada they're rifles because they use rifles actions. The law in the US if the firearm has no stock it's a pistol. In Canada they said it's a rifle action it's still a rifle but on other firearms they say no it's a pistol and a rifle action but they're the same ie XCR. (they mark them differently) So it gets silly once you start looking into it.

In the end it really doesn't do anything but confuse people what's the difference between and ak 47 and a sks for example if they're both semi auto only. They shoot the same rounds they can both have magazines that are the same capacity. Then you have bolt action and lever action rifles that can shoot the same round so what's the difference? 1 looks scary 1 doesn't it's silly.

The reason why they said no barrel length for 22 lr rifles is many of them are 16 inches and that would take allot of hunting guns away from people because you can't hunt with a restricted firearm.
    Last edited by haha49; 01-01-2014 at 02:37 AM.

BANNED
    Quote In the end it really doesn't do anything but confuse people what's the difference between and ak 47 and a sks for example if they're both semi auto only. They shoot the same rounds they can both have magazines that are the same capacity. Then you have bolt action and lever action rifles that can shoot the same round so what's the difference? 1 looks scary 1 doesn't it's silly.

Canadian gun laws were made by very emotional peoples it seems, that's all that was used to write them. No logic, not an ounce of good sense just emotions and of course the loud mouths of anti input has a lot to do with it which is the same thing. Restricting a gun cause it looks scary...FFS *shakes head in disbelief*. But then again restricting a Tavor and not restricting another Tavor with 6 inch more on the barrel, where was the scaredy-cat then?? That's why Canadian gun laws are so silly and make no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
    it depends on the platform of the rifle...

somthing like the S&W M&P15-22 is restricted at any barrel length as its an AR variant..

BUT

if you take say a ruger sr22 and BUY a premanufactred barrel at less then 18.5 install it and the gun still meets the minimum O.A.L then its still classed as non-restricted.

the same goes for shotguns, you can buty 12-14-16" barrels for like the remingtong 870 series as well as others, and its still non-res.

cutting your existing barrel down on the other hand is a BIG no no
    the mossberg 715t has the same AR look and shoots same .22 caliber, and was classified as non restricted, but m&p 15 is restricted, that is nonsense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast