Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HST when shipping out of province?

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by North Eastern Arms View Post
    Sorry Jerry, I didn't know this was in your forum. I don't like posting in another dealers area, it's bad form. Please feel free to axe it.

ps.. keep up the good work.
    NO worries at all. If this post got stupid, I would have shut it down as it is way off topic.

BUT the sales tax process is mired in opinions and we dealers get the back end of the stick.

Like you know, we follow the rules as presented the best way we can.

If a customer disagrees, they can get a ruling from Rev Can authorising me to charge different, THEN convince my CA, THEN convince my accounting software manf to change their program.

All I do is click the button and the numbers get filled.

As for the runarounds, have at it.

As a business, I can get audited and I have no interest in "saving" someone a few dollars in tax to spend 5 figures fighting for my companies fines.

Thems the rules. Go with it, happy to do business.

Don't, well, I am sure there are other dealers who may want to game the system.

YMMV.

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    You do realize that Rev Can (CRA) doesn't make the law right?

In fact, I would go so far to argue that they aren't even an authoritative source on the matter. The frequently interpret tax law to their advantage or interpret it incorrectly through a lack of understanding.

When the amended rules of supply were introduced in 2010, it pretty much made a mess of things. Not saying you're right or wrong in this specific case, but just something to consider.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    You do realize that Rev Can (CRA) doesn't make the law right?

In fact, I would go so far to argue that they aren't even an authoritative source on the matter. The frequently interpret tax law to their advantage or interpret it incorrectly through a lack of understanding.

When the amended rules of supply were introduced in 2010, it pretty much made a mess of things. Not saying you're right or wrong in this specific case, but just something to consider.
    BTW, Manitoba is not a harmonized province, so there should be no HST charged whatsoever. Manitoba does have a retail sales tax of 7% that applies to certain goods and services, but it is NOT a harmonized sales tax.
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

It isn't simple thats for sure...here are some guidelines, specifically for shipping to MB
    http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/page/2651/
    Charging sales tax to out-of-province customers↑Top

If you are a vendor in one province or territory and you make sales to residents of another province or territory, what sales taxes do you charge them? When you sell and ship or deliver taxable goods and services to out-of-province/territory customers, the sales tax that applies in your customer's province or territory is generally applicable.

When you ship to harmonized sales tax (HST)-participating provinces (British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Ontario), you are required to collect HST in the amount applicable to the province and include it in your GST/HST return. In this case, since you are already registered for GST, you are automatically registered for HST, even if you do not operate in an HST-participating province.

Manitoba

If you sell taxable goods and services to residents of Manitoba, you are required to register under the Retail Sales Tax Act and collect retail sales tax, if all of the following apply:

You solicit sales in Manitoba (via advertising or other means).
    You accept orders originating in Manitoba.
    The taxable goods are for consumption/use in Manitoba — not for resale.
    You cause the taxable goods to be delivered to Manitoba, regardless of who pays for the delivery.

Taxation Division Manitoba
    Learn about your Manitoba tax obligations.
    More info
    http://www.taxtips.ca/pst/outofprovincesellers.htm

Tax consultant that is just as confused, who says CRA initially said charge HST always, then got an update to charge the GST only in non-HST provinces.
    http://lichtman.ca/the-effect-of-hst...line-business/
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hitzy View Post
    It isn't simple thats for sure...here are some guidelines, specifically for shipping to MB
    http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/page/2651/

More info
    http://www.taxtips.ca/pst/outofprovincesellers.htm

Tax consultant that is just as confused, who says CRA initially said charge HST always, then got an update to charge the GST only in non-HST provinces.
    http://lichtman.ca/the-effect-of-hst...line-business/
    It does appear that if you collect tax for another province, you need to register there and submit it?
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

Supporting Dealer
    I appreciate all the comments but I am locking this as we are way off topic and no one here is an authority on the tax act.

Continue on in the general forum or off topic section.

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123