Page 202 of 690 FirstFirst ... 182192194195196197198199200201202203204205206207208209210212222 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,020 of 6900

Thread: PAL Wait Time

Quote Originally Posted by mclarke View Post
    That’s right!
    The lady who I spoke to from Miramichi was also skeptical but if you order online they just ask for your pal number.
    Only pain is waiting for shipping but definitely faster than waiting for mail from NB
    That's great! Did you call your CFO or the RCMP to obtain your PAL number?

I called the RCMP 1800-731-4000
    I wouldn’t be shooting or transporting before getting the license in hand though
    Just nice to have the gun ready to go for when the card shows up

Here is some info on why some applications go through faster than others

Some back ground info that was found on the government privacy website: https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/opc-action...0813/#archived

Only the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) in each province/territory and the delegated Firearms Officers (FOs) have the authority to refuse or revoke licences. The screening process can have as many as three stages, if required:
    "
    Primary screening of applicants, based on the information provided on the application form, is done by staff members at the Central Processing Site (CPS) in Miramichi, NB and at the Québec Processing Site (QPS) in Montréal. After it has been determined that the application is complete and the data has been entered into the Canadian Firearms Registration System (CFRS), batch Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) background checks including FIP are conducted electronically with the assistance of the RCMP Accreditation Unit. At the QPS, the Sûreté du Québec assumes this duty. FOs at the CPS can approve totally "clean" applications - that is, information requirements have been met and there are no hits on CPIC or FIP. (Note: Our review did not cover the specific processing activities at the QPS.)
    Secondary screening, if required, which involves a closer look at regional automated police information retrieval databases and telephone follow-up with spouses (desk work) is done by CFOs and their delegates (FOs and support staff).
    Tertiary screening, if required, conducted by Area and Local Firearms Officers is a more in-depth field investigation that can involve interviews with employers, aboriginal leaders, neighbours, etc.
    "

Please look at the actual web page. It also gives detailed info on the so-called daily background check of PAL holders. So no, nobody is looking over your shoulder. Your PAL is a a licence just like a drivers licence or a pilots licence.
    -- Saigol7

I wouldn’t be shooting or transporting before getting the license in hand though
    Yeah of course! I’d just like the rifles I’ve purchased to get shipped so I can ,Kung the scopes, etc. Also, I just purchased a handgun, it would be great to get that approval on motion so I can hand it sooner

Thanks for the help!

So I guess I’m hung up on the secondary screening due to checking off yes to a personal history question. I’m wondering if my biggest delay is them actually doing some digging on me or just being stuck in a queue while the single person that I’ve been assigned to enjoys their vacation days.

Does the RCMP give the expiry date for the license as well? Or is it 5 years after the date it showed up online as “issued”. Cabelas asks for this information when ordering online. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by FM. View Post
    Does the RCMP give the expiry date for the license as well? Or is it 5 years after the date it showed up online as “issued”. Cabelas asks for this information when ordering online. Thx
    Yeah. I had this problem too. Felt stupid when I called in for this. Since it is simply 2024-mm-dd where mm-dd are your month and day of birth...

Well... I didn't have much luck today. I phoned the RCMP and inquired as to the status of their printer related issues. My status relative to the backlog due to the printer issues, and also asked for my licence numbers. Before I go any further, I was nothing but nice, courteous and pleasant from start to finish with the representative on the phone.

I was met with a bit of resistance immediately. She wasn't really interested in having the conversation, it seemed. She promptly told me that it's not "printer issues" but "printer maintenance". I then proceeded to ask if that due to the fact that I'm "approved and issued" that I could be provided my licence numbers - at which point she sharply informed me that no one is to EVER obtain their licence numbers ahead of time. That we must wait until the physical cards are mailed out and in hand before we can purchase a firearm, ammo, etc (I desperately wanted to get into the conversation about how the number is all that's needed as most ammo and firearms are purchased online... but I knew she wasn't going to care). I explained to her the reason I called was due to the fact that I know of others who have been issued the numbers ahead of time due to the printer issues... she sharply told me "that's not possible". I then proceeded to ask where I was in relation to the backlog... she wouldn't look, but gave me a rough idea, saying "probably about 2-3 weeks before it's printed", she wouldn't look at my file specifically when I asked, and after I questioned her again looking for a better idea of where my licence was in the printing process (because many of you knew almost exactly when yours would hit the printer from conversations with the RCMP)... again she would only give me a rough idea based on her loose knowledge of the backlog - nothing specific relative to my licence specifically.

It was a frustrating conversation to say the least. She wouldn't offer up any cold hard facts, and just loose information relative to the situation. No licence numbers or further help. Again, I couldn't have been nicer, calmer and courteous.... but believe me, I wanted to pull my hair out. I must have be lucky enough to get the "wrong person". Boo.

I did tell her that I wanted the number so I could begin the process of purchasing a rifle that is very hard to obtain... that if I didn't get the number soon, it's very likely that the firearm would be sold and gone forever. Was that a mistake?

I'm thinking I should call back and get someone else who's a little more receptive?

Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    I'm thinking I should call back and get someone else who's a little more receptive?
    If I had started to hit some resistance, I would have kindly ended the call and then phoned back again. If it sounded like I got the same person when I called back I'd just hang up and try again. Just my opinion though. Seeing as others have gotten the number over the phone and the fact that she didn't go in to your file to note down anything, I'd say call and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by xeronine View Post
    If I had started to hit some resistance, I would have kindly ended the call and then phoned back again. If it sounded like I got the same person when I called back I'd just hang up and try again. Just my opinion though. Seeing as others have gotten the number over the phone and the fact that she didn't go in to your file to note down anything, I'd say call and try again.
    Sorry, she did go into my file to confirm that it was approved and processed. But when she came back and I started asking where I was in the backlog line, she wouldn't go back and look. Would only tell give me a general response.