Page 267 of 689 FirstFirst ... 247257259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275277287 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 6885

Thread: PAL Wait Time

Hi all
    So of course I stumbled on this thread. Because my PAL/RPAL is taking forever. I get that many of these licences are for recreation and public safety is important, but some of these wait times sound ridiculous! It’s a shame they are able to continue this way. I work for the federal public service myself and I am pissed that this speed of service is allowed. Pissed but not surprised. I doubt anyone in govt would want to stick their neck out for this cause.

My timeline for anyone who cares (in BC):
    Mailed - May 24 2019
    Received- May 31
    Showing on Website as in progress, completed initial processing - 2nd week of June I think
    Still Waiting ... Aug 29

Not as long as some folks I know, but starting to get annoyed. Especially because of the same old answers when I call.
    I have called the BC CFO directly the last couple times.
    I did check a box, so I presume that put me in the “take extra long” pile.

Oh btw, the last person I spoke with at BC CFO, I mentioned that it says on the website that processing takes 45 days roughly, and mine has been double that. She replied saying that it is referring to the “initial processing” and that this does not include background checks at the provincial CFO. Does that sound right to you guys? When I read it on the website, that’s not how it sounds/is implied IMO. Do any of these people even know what they’re saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Swantonbomb View Post
    Hi all
    So of course I stumbled on this thread. Because my PAL/RPAL is taking forever. I get that many of these licences are for recreation and public safety is important, but some of these wait times sound ridiculous! It’s a shame they are able to continue this way. I work for the federal public service myself and I am pissed that this speed of service is allowed. Pissed but not surprised. I doubt anyone in govt would want to stick their neck out for this cause.

My timeline for anyone who cares (in BC):
    Mailed - May 24 2019
    Received- May 31
    Showing on Website as in progress, completed initial processing - 2nd week of June I think
    Still Waiting ... Aug 29

Not as long as some folks I know, but starting to get annoyed. Especially because of the same old answers when I call.
    I have called the BC CFO directly the last couple times.
    I did check a box, so I presume that put me in the “take extra long” pile.

Oh btw, the last person I spoke with at BC CFO, I mentioned that it says on the website that processing takes 45 days roughly, and mine has been double that. She replied saying that it is referring to the “initial processing” and that this does not include background checks at the provincial CFO. Does that sound right to you guys? When I read it on the website, that’s not how it sounds/is implied IMO. Do any of these people even know what they’re saying?
    90 days is nothing to sweat. I'm also in BC. Informed them on my application that I had a peace bond issued to me back in 2014 when I submitted my application in early Oct. 2017. I'm still waiting 22.5 months later. I'm hearing people getting them within a couple months, even someone in my C.O.R.E. course immigrated here from New Zealand (I think), and he said it took him something like 8 weeks to get his license.

The thing that ticks me off are the lame "please be patient, I'm sure it won't be much longer" responses. Can they not tell you if someone is currently looking at it? If they have questions? Where they are in the review? Or is it just sitting at the bottom of the ever-growing stack of applications? I call in monthly, and I get the same response, and they claim to make a note for the CFO to inform them that I enquired about the status. But I'm still sitting here, waiting anxiously for a call, or that envelope in my mail box.

Quote Originally Posted by RYoung View Post
    90 days is nothing to sweat. I'm also in BC. Informed them on my application that I had a peace bond issued to me back in 2014 when I submitted my application in early Oct. 2017. I'm still waiting 22.5 months later. I'm hearing people getting them within a couple months, even someone in my C.O.R.E. course immigrated here from New Zealand (I think), and he said it took him something like 8 weeks to get his license.

The thing that ticks me off are the lame "please be patient, I'm sure it won't be much longer" responses. Can they not tell you if someone is currently looking at it? If they have questions? Where they are in the review? Or is it just sitting at the bottom of the ever-growing stack of applications? I call in monthly, and I get the same response, and they claim to make a note for the CFO to inform them that I enquired about the status. But I'm still sitting here, waiting anxiously for a call, or that envelope in my mail box.
    I’m very sorry to hear that. That is completely unacceptable. If I were you I would want them to at least make a decision, even if it is denied. That way I could either a) move on or b) start the appeal process (whatever that looks like).

The worst thing about it is that we have absolutely no recourse. They have all the power and all we can do is wait...

I’m very sorry to hear that. That is completely unacceptable. If I were you I would want them to at least make a decision, even if it is denied. That way I could either a) move on or b) start the appeal process (whatever that looks like).

The worst thing about it is that we have absolutely no recourse. They have all the power and all we can do is wait...
    Sad but true. I've heard that there are some individuals that have a criminal history, some violent and with weapons who still get their legitimate firearms license. I don't know if they pulled any shady deals or what, but apparently it does happen. I don't know if they're waiting until it's officially been 5 years since the peace order was ordered so that it's technically not "within the past 5 years", but who knows. A real answer would be muchly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach3tt3 View Post
    Update 2019-08-16: sent an e-mail to follow-up. CFO guy says he will transfer my file to those conducting interviews. I was called the same day, but missed it.
    2019-08-21: all interviews completed and RPAL was approved over the phone and got my # by e-mail as well!

Total time from reception at Miramichi to RPAL approval: 105 days (Quebec)
    2019-08-30: physical card received. Finally!

This is true! I know someone personally who has his RPAL who has a criminal history, some of it armed robbery! It was more than 5 years though. I have never asked him how long it took to process his licence but he never mentioned it being any trouble.

Update: FINALLY!

August 7th: One of my references and I get called by the SQ (Quebec firearms officer) and asked a few questions. I'm told that my other reference's number is invalid and that he just needs to talk to him and my application would be okay. I try to contact them and they say they will call soon. I open my status every day and it stays unchanged. 2 weeks pass and I'm forced to ridiculously pressure them until they assure me they will not forget to call.
    August 30th: Status changes to: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000).

Total day count: 170 days
    Without the delay this would've taken 147 days.
    45 days, my ass
    I called the firearms officer and he gave me my expiry date and license number without any problem.
    Last edited by airakkaz; 08-30-2019 at 11:28 PM.

I've been waiting for my PAL/RPAL renewal since April 2018. I've been following up and they say it's with the Alberta CFO and there's nothing they can do but tell them I've called again.
    They also said this kind of waiting time is normal.
    This crap would never fly in the private sector.

This is true! I know someone personally who has his RPAL who has a criminal history, some of it armed robbery! It was more than 5 years though. I have never asked him how long it took to process his licence but he never mentioned it being any trouble.
    I'm wondering if they would wait until 5 years after it was served to me. kind of like not having it declared on my application since it wasn't "within the last 5 years". But I doubt it. A more likely scenario is that they're not doing anything until the upcoming election in October.

My upgrade to rpal

June 16 application received
    July 13 credit card charged
    August 27 Application approved
    September 3 Card arrived in the mail.

Never called them, and they did not call any of the references.

Now to go shopping