Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question when shooting

Newbie question when shooting

I just started shooting and noticed everytime when I shoot I can smell powder. Should I be wearing a mask when shooting. Is this harmful?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    It may not be the best for you... smokers who are terrified of asbestos kind of scenario. Everything causes cancer. Are you working a gun range full time? then maybe think about it a bit.

I am not concerned at outdoor ranges, indoor I would be concerned if ventilation is not proper.

Lead exposure is not great
    pandering to paranoia produces pointless prosecutions of people

In some indoor ranges a mask can be beneficial. Whenever I use my 12gauge in an enclosed environment I wear some kind of breathing protection as it kicks out a ton of gas.

Thanks! I have a membership to a indoor range. so i should consider wearing a mask then

Quote Originally Posted by wave480 View Post
    Thanks! I have a membership to a indoor range. so i should consider wearing a mask then
    Don't take this for gospel, but, indoor ranges I think are required for range certification to have a fan and filtration system that blows all gas from the firing line down range, and then gets filtered before being recycled.

https://nfa.ca/wp-content/uploads/20...an-17-2014.pdf <---- Head to page 100, describes range ventilation requirements for indoor ranges.
    Last edited by Declared Bishop; 04-16-2024 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Declared Bishop View Post
    Don't take this for gospel, but, indoor ranges I think are required for range certification to have a fan and filtration system that blows all gas from the firing line down range, and then gets filtered before being recycled.
    Not really. Most just got one that draws in fresh air and sucks out the bad.

If you got a range that shoots high volume and a less than par ventilation system, that's when you can get elevated lead levels.

N95 mask won't stop you from smelling the powder. But will help with inhaling the lead dust.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    Not really. Most just got one that draws in fresh air and sucks out the bad.

If you got a range that shoots high volume and a less than par ventilation system, that's when you can get elevated lead levels.

N95 mask won't stop you from smelling the powder. But will help with inhaling the lead dust.
    again, I am no expert, and not claiming to be 100% correct, but logic says that there are minimum requirements for ventilation set out by provincial and territorial agencies. It would also stand that these are inspected and tested every so often, so to claim that there are "less than par" ventilation systems I think is fear mongering.

But again, I am not an expert, it is just my interpretation of the RCMP documents pertaining to indoor firearm range requirements, and I very well could be interpreting them incorrectly. I am also very new to the scene, so, maybe the inspection regulations are completely lax in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Declared Bishop View Post
    again, I am no expert, and not claiming to be 100% correct, but logic says that there are minimum requirements for ventilation set out by provincial and territorial agencies. It would also stand that these are inspected and tested every so often, so to claim that there are "less than par" ventilation systems I think is fear mongering.

But again, I am not an expert, it is just my interpretation of the RCMP documents pertaining to indoor firearm range requirements, and I very well could be interpreting them incorrectly. I am also very new to the scene, so, maybe the inspection regulations are completely lax in this regard.
    All the ones I've shot at. Don't filter and recirculate the air. You get fresh air blowing behind you and down range it gets vented out. All pass the inspection for our province.

Less than par means 10 people shooting 100rds each in 45mins. Some are not made for shooting forward and you'll get stuck in a dust swirl.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    All the ones I've shot at. Don't filter and recirculate the air. You get fresh air blowing behind you and down range it gets vented out. All pass the inspection for our province.

Less than par means 10 people shooting 100rds each in 45mins. Some are not made for shooting forward and you'll get stuck in a dust swirl.
    I can't argue any of that. I just don't have the experience yet to sus out your statements in this regard, but it has me intrigued and I want to learn more about it.

can you provide me a few examples of such ranges where these detrimental conditions occur? I would like to investigate the layout and see what can be done to minimize such events. It's kinda a hobby of mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast