Thread: Vancouver Island ammo / dealers / resources?

Vancouver Island ammo / dealers / resources?

Hey all, first post. I used to shoot when I was in my teens and am getting back into it after many, many years. I've picked up a .22 semi and a 6.5 Creedmor bolt action and have gone to the VFPGA range a couple times and am enjoying it immensely. I don't have time right now, but am interested in doing some rifle sports like Silouette in the next couple years if my eyesight is still good enough :D

I'm wondering where you island dwellers get your ammo. Seems like Cabela's in Nanaimo is the only place that has a decent assortment of ammo in any kind of reasonable price, but if there's anywhere closer to Victoria where you pick up your rounds for reasonable prices, I would be curious to know, esp. 22LR, 6.5 Creedmor, .223.

Best gunsmiths between Vic and Comox?
    Best place to take a C.O.R.E. course?
    Favorite dealer?

Thanks, appreciate any info you care to share.

There’s a few gone fishin’ on the island. Cabelas is good when there’s sales. I usually order online and pick up in store.
    Best is probably online shopping from Bullseye North or Soley Outdoors with free shipping or SFRC when on sale.
    Can’t help with gunsmith as mine just retired recently.
    There’s regular core courses in Ladysmith that I know of. I know there is in Nanaimo, but can’t really direct you to them. Nanaimo fish and game will have it up on their board for sure.
    I’ve mail ordered most of my guns, but have bought from Cabelas, Gone Fishin and a couple of pawn shops across the island.

CGN Regular
    Canadian tire Langford, has the largest supply of ammunition on the island, as well a large supply of reloading components and tools.

Granlund firearms in Campbell river will always be my first stop. Karl usually has healthy stock off all the oddball calibres.

Plenty of CGN sponsors offer free shipping on bulk ammo.
    "I tell you it dead"

Silvercore did do CORE courses on Island.

I try and support Gone Fishin'. They usually have bulk pistol cartridges and 12ga on the floor, sometimes rifle, and often plinking 22LR sale on the counter and better quality stuff behind the counter. Plus they have a better selection of black accessories and rifles than the big box store - and they do consignment. Only reason I sometimes choose Cabelas over the LGS is the Salute stacked on a sale.

Thanks for the other tips local guys, I will visit each when in town.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. Especially good to know about the Langford CT, all of the CT's around me have crap-all for selection, so I'll be sure to check that one out.
    I'm only up-island really during the summer but I'll make Gone Fishin' a regular stopover.

Don't forget Island Outfitters in Victoria .The guy's in the gunshop are good and Pullens in the Highlands on Millstream Rd sells ammo and is also a gunsmith.
    And there is a gunshow in Duncan on Saturday Feb 3.You may find something you can't live with out.
    Dave G

CGN Regular
    Tyee Marine, River Sportsman, Gunsmoke and of course Granlund Firearms are all in Campbell River - take a drive up if you want ammo usually cheaper and more available than cabelas

Awesome thank you all. Just checked out Pullen's and all the comments are really positive, never even knew it existed, I will definitely check them out soon.

Following thread.
    Thanks for the useful info.