Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: History of the m14s/m305 from Marstar- John, how about filling us in?

Expired Business
    AP:
    Trust me, you would be amazed at what goes on in the real world of international arms dealing....Not to menton the gray world of international intrigue....

I know for a fact that one country kept a very large inventory of firearms of various makes and models, some real, some made by their own well known factory, after all if you want to leave a firearm behind after doing some evil deed what better than to leave say a Colt 1911a1 so all concerned will blame your exploit on the Americans ??

After all we are talking n the days of the cold war, everybody left each others toys behind so the enemy would be blamed or at the very least embarassed....

How do I know this you ask, hey I bought out the warehouse in question after the dowfall of Eastern Europe, it was on the grounds of the KGB training academy in xxxxx

To this day I often get a giggle when somebody offers a genuine such and such for sale, I have only to see the serial number to recognize one of the many that found their way to North America and Europe....

When you hear a story about the arms trade, don't dismiss it out of hand, it might just be true....

John

If you read Lee Emerson's "M14 Rifle History and Development" at the URL below it goes into some detail.

milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=4323

Page 195 talks about the M14 in Canada.....

The origin of Chinese M14s in general is discussed in Chapter 6 in this document by Lee Emerson at the URL below.

web.archive.org/web/20060103052941/http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/M14rhd_format_9aug.pdf

From the first document below.

Chinese M14 Type Rifle Export to Canada

Alan Lever of Lever Arms Service Ltd. (Vancouver, BC) imported Norinco M14 rifles into Canada around 1990. Century Arms International imported both Norinco and Poly Technologies M14 type rifles into Canada during the early 1990s. Some Norinco receivers imported around 2002 to 2003 by Marstar Canada and by Lever Arms Service, e.g., serial number AL000680, had a blued finish instead of a phosphate coating. These receivers lack the scope mount vertical groove lug but the drilled and tapped bolt hole and horizontal groove are still present. At least some of these blued receivers are marked Model 305 7.62X51 on the left side of the receiver, e.g., serial number AL000680.

In 2004, 2005 and 2006, Marstar Canada, Inc. (Vankleek Hill, Ontario) imported Norinco M14 rifles into Canada with the CJA marking seen on American imports. These complete rifles are assembled with new Chinese manufacture parts but the receivers were the last of the residual inventory from production several years prior. As of mid-2006, the production machines used to manufacture Chinese M14 receivers had been laid up for a number of years.

The Norinco rifles imported by Marstar have the slotted flash suppressor and scope mount recoil lug. The left side of each receiver imported in 2004 and 2005 was stamped as follows: first line - M14 .308 second line - CJA SFLD MICH third line – NORINCO MADE IN CHINA and the six digit serial number. A May 2006 import was marked on the left side of the receiver as follows: first line - M14 .308 NORINCO 00XXXX second line - MADE IN CHINA SFLD, MI. The fit and finish of Norinco rifles entering Canada after 2000 are judged to be better than that found on the 1980s and 1990s M14 type rifles exported to the United States. These M14 rifles still have chu wood stocks. Reportedly, USGI bolts fit properly in these post-‘00 production Norinco M14 rifles. The bolt hardness is also markedly higher than bolts exported to the United States before 1994. Marstar markets the Norinco M14 rifles as the M-305 and backs them with a one year parts and labor warranty. Marstar Canada received another batch of Norinco M14 rifles from China in November 2006.
    Last edited by OC-3; 10-24-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Add info

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    A good read... keep the info coming everyone
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

Reference OC-3's post, I wonder what could be written about the M305s that have arrived in canada post 2006?

In addition to the switch from wood to plastic stocks, and the recent arrival of short rifles, I wonder how many guns have been imported and whether or not all of the newer imports are still produced from old receivers. If we could keep these rifles coming to our shores, hopefully supplied with affordable ammo, they might eventually become a staple in every Canadian gun owners inventory.
    Last edited by Beadwindow; 10-24-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: punctuation error
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

Thanks for WELL DONE WORK to bring us a better product. The 2009 models had bad finishing, tool markings, screwed up windage shaft. Had to replace. With a scope 13.i lbs to heavy to pack in the bush, but ok to run on a quad or still hunting. 5x15 3200 tactical can hit 300 m dongs no problem with tripod bench. Cold or warm with Norinco ammo. Can't wait to find another Range to shoot at longer ranges.

Ever heard of Globalization the cold war is over , COSCO is the run by the Chinese Military. Most Us ports are not american owned, Husky Oil, PetroCan, Sincrude , PD Drilling, Chinese billionnaires among many, but thats another story. Chinese philosophy, can take over anything without firing a shot. HaHa .
    Last edited by gunluver63; 10-24-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Big Mouth.
    The M1A was DEFINETELY Springfield Armoury 'Civilian' he took over 'cause it was from Zeke's shop, next door, never CA or M14. To the best of my knowledge everything has to have a serial no., even if just for 'inventory' purposes. At least it's not a 'bar code' !
    This is really driving me nuts not being able to remember his name, I still have a birthday present he gave me for God's sake! I DO remember he also shocked me by buying SUBMARINES from both China and Russia for scrap ! Young guy, interesting 'connections' !
    All this 'Mystery/Spy/Conspiracy' 'stuff' is nonsense. Very simple, young man, money, good idea, good connections, ta-da, done ! Been done many times before, Morgan, Ford, Vanderbilt, Wright, etc., etc., just not ME !
    Those who forget History are bound to repeat it. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by OC-3 View Post
    The Norinco rifles imported by Marstar have the slotted flash suppressor and scope mount recoil lug. The left side of each receiver imported in 2004 and 2005 was stamped as follows: first line - M14 .308 second line - CJA SFLD MICH third line – NORINCO MADE IN CHINA and the six digit serial number. A May 2006 import was marked on the left side of the receiver as follows: first line - M14 .308 NORINCO 00XXXX second line - MADE IN CHINA SFLD, MI. The fit and finish of Norinco rifles entering Canada after 2000 are judged to be better than that found on the 1980s and 1990s M14 type rifles exported to the United States. These M14 rifles still have chu wood stocks. Reportedly, USGI bolts fit properly in these post-‘00 production Norinco M14 rifles. The bolt hardness is also markedly higher than bolts exported to the United States before 1994. Marstar markets the Norinco M14 rifles as the M-305 and backs them with a one year parts and labor warranty. Marstar Canada received another batch of Norinco M14 rifles from China in November 2006.
    The markings on my early Marstar import (I'm sure John and his bunch got tired of hearing from me every other day - "are they here yet?"), seems to me it was earlier than '04 when I bought this gun??

Fantastic rifle!

Last edited by canuck; 10-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.

I want one badly. Any idea when you will have more John?

Quote Originally Posted by tswancoat View Post
    I want one badly. Any idea when you will have more John?
    Marstar is running an ad for the M305 in this month's access paper - $449

They have a toll free number - Give them a call!