Norinco JW-14 magazines?

Let us know how this works out. I need some mags!
Alright, here we go.

Before/after filing:

In action:

I fired about 120 rounds tonight split across the stock magazine and the two modified Marlin mags. Unlike the stock JW-14 magazine, these Marlin magazines do not have a wider lip around the lower part, so it is possible to insert the magazines too far up into the action, which blocks the bolt from closing. So you have to make sure to give the magazine a tug so it is as low as it goes against the retaining latch. They work fine! Feed and extraction work fine, cycles, no problem with gases escaping through the gap in the magazine well either. My only gripe with them is that it is very difficult for me to load that 10th cartridge into the Marlin magazines, while the spring in the stock magazine seems to be a bit lighter and I can load 10 rounds without too much trouble.

Once again I am using Marlin magazines labeled as "All bolt actions and post-1988 autoloaders", but I see no reason why current production 795 and XT-22 magazines shouldn't work with the same modifications.

I have three of the same mags. I find if you insert them with the bolt closed there are no issues with them and in my last outing I put over 200 rounds through with no stove pipes or jams. They are a little snug even after filing both the mags and the rifle.
This is a great little rifle and was a favourite with my friends the last time out. My plinkster is not as reliable with a couple of fail to extract with the same amount put through and one stove pipe.

Last edited:
I modded a Marlin Promag 25 rounder to work really well.

Some mods are required:

1. It took some sanding/filing on the sides of the mag that feed into the mag well. The promag has a small raised portion on both flat sides at the base of the upper part that would sit inside the mag well.
2. The back (spine) of the mag has to be rounded slightly with sandpaper, the sharp 90 degree corners don't fit into the rear of the JW14 well.
3. The mag catch lip needs to be sanded down just a touch.
4. The stock of the rifle around the mag well has to be opened up to allow the mag to seat all the way in. Easy to do, just used an exacto knife. It's soft commy would.

About 45 minutes of tinkering but now it works and it works flawlessly. Feeds really smooth and allows for great extraction/ejection of spent casings.
The supplied mag is absolute junk which is a shame because the rifle is quite accurate and very reliable with a decent modded mag, it's not picky on ammo either.

Marlin magazines work fine with the Squires Bingham 20. Except in this instance a shim needs to be added to the rear of the magazine with a hole to allow the business end of the catch to fit, and another hole to index with the lug on the magazine.

I think the one I got was for the model 795, and was Marlin production.

Last edited:
As promised. Folks. The SKU for 10 round JW14 mags at Canuck Tire is 93-2936-0. Just pick up a bunch in Sussex NB. Also 5 if them fit neatly in a USGI Molle grenade pouch staggered 2 down and 3 up.

No, they will not. The KKW takes CZ 452 22lr magazines.

I also modified a promag 25 rounder, and it works great with minor fitting. Doesn't look half bad either.

My norinco bakelite one was broken from factory, cracked on the seam so that it would spread apart and nto go into the rifle if it had any ammo in it :)

20150331_104417_zpsfjpoxnpd.jpg

Another retailer has the rifles in stock and says that Marlin mags work. Well, I can tell you the mags for my Marlin 795 sure DON'T work. And the other retailer so far hasn't bothered to find out which mags WILL work. I always heard some kind of CZ mag would work but don't have easy acces to try them out here.

The mag is definitely the weak link in the JW but it would be nice to have a source for some kind of extras!

If you take some time and a hand file/dremel and mil out a bit of the mag well marlin 795 mags will work, also this mod allows original mags to still work. Be aware however there is potential for the 795 mags to seat too far. i find inserting the with bolt closed solves this problem.

Back
Top Bottom