Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you allowed to fire military surplus ammo in the range ?

Are you allowed to fire military surplus ammo in the range ?

I heard somewhere that because its steel-core its prohibited in the range is that true ?

I don't have any issues firing it at my local ranges.
    I would check with the ranges you attend to make sure it is not one of there rules.

Tim
    "Tolerance is the last virtue of a dieing society" - Aristotle
    "When life expectancy is measured in seconds, the police are only minutes away." - Deuce044

CGN frequent flyer
    Steel core is bad for most indoor ranges as it will punch through the backstop...

There are signs on the door to the rifle range that say no steel core or jacketed ammo in the range is allowed.
    That 7.62 x 39 ammo that you can buy for $199/1120 rounds is steel cored and punches through the backstop. It also causes sparks and once this started a fire in the rifle bay-- almost burned the place down.
    Outdoor ranges are usually ok to use this ammo at, but not indoor ones.
    1 In the beginning there was the 1911, and the 1911 was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not mess with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his firearms, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

do you know anything about the shooting edge ?

CGN frequent flyer
    The Shooting Edge was the one with the fire.. its a no go at indoor ranges..

CGN Ultra frequent flyer smak_daddy's Avatar
    Surplus is fine at TSE as long as the bullets aren't steel core.

Use a magnet. If it sticks, the bullets are a no go.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Plenty of American ranges ban steel bullets because supposedly the sparks their ricochets make cause grass fires.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

The biggest issue is damage to the (expensive and very important) backstop. As stated, as long as you cannot stick a magnet to your bullets we will let you shoot it in the range.

If you are unsure simply ask any staff member and we'd gladly check your ammo for you.

Super Moderator
    Steel core or steel jacket? A magnet will pick up either, and you won't know which you have. There are softpoint bullets which use plated steel jackets. Can't see that a steel jacket would be any harder on a backstop than a guilding metal one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast