Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Barrett .50 Cal's are available in Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by x0ra View Post
    isn't the M82 / M107 on the prohib' list ?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf300H&H View Post
    i dunno ,ive hit milk jugs and soldiers helmets(minus the head) at 1000 yards coldbore with a 308 win. you got what 4/6 times the area for a elk/moose vitals.i dont know. dont think you need to be that good,top 10. plus say you were over a mile ,at 2000 yards would the animal even react to the shot???it would be dam fun to find out. or wouldnt it be similiar to long shots on gophers.... kinda. my best was again cold bore 316 yards,with a 204.and thats nothing really i know guys have done way better,not sure about cold bore,but, just practise i would say. and talking about a 50 here so it has what? 1/2 the drop and windage as a "normal" bullets trajectory.

yeah i think the semi auto barrets are prohib. think grunt was just hoping .....like me. that would be bad ass and a little expensive .sigh
    At 1743 yds (17yds short of a mile) if you just miss the animal it has no idea what's going on. If the round crashes just to either side of them for deer they'll jump and move a couple feet that's about it. For coyotes it's 50/50 on either they'll bolt or stick around thinking the impacts are rodents or something. If they don't know their getting shot at they're very curious and tend to stick around. At those ranges anyway.
    Yes a .50 is too much for 1000. A 300WM will do that just fine. 338LPM's and .50's are for 1300+ like for shooting over a quarter section to across a whole section.

yeah a 50 at 1000 would probably damage the meat ike a 30 cal mag at 200.LOL.

also at further ranges you have more time to get your dope and to take everythiing into consideration. hitting something on the move slightly with a 30 cal/308 at 700 yards is probably trickier than a staionary(ish) one at 2000 with a 50. just another thing i thought of . its open to critisism.

best kill shot made was with a 22-250 at 520 yards on a coyote.it was very obliging. seen me ,but not scared ,just face me directly and either sat down or layed down , if it had been lazily walking in a certain direction ,doubt i would have hit it. it took long enough to dope in a staionary critter at that distance. with my 9x i could barely see the thing. and glassed it but indeed thought it was a rock first time.

when i shot out to a mile this past fall with my 338 i estimated my hold,think 2 people were helping me out with isnipe,anyhow cranked my scope up and used the last reticle at 22x, fired , could not tell if it was a hit. so decided to get someone with the spotting scope and i started walking my shots in ,the target was big, but still,about 4 shots watched the dust inch closer to the target and voila the 2nd last reticle seemed to be hitting the target, so 2 moa(last/2nd last reticle line difference) at that distance is 36", i very well might have hit it the first shot.ill never know. point is a bit of practise and you could make a cold bore shot at that distance. no head shots or trick shot but get it there.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf300H&H View Post
    yeah a 50 at 1000 would probably damage the meat ike a 30 cal mag at 200.LOL.

also at further ranges you have more time to get your dope and to take everythiing into consideration. hitting something on the move slightly with a 30 cal/308 at 700 yards is probably trickier than a staionary(ish) one at 2000 with a 50. just another thing i thought of . its open to critisism.

best kill shot made was with a 22-250 at 520 yards on a coyote.it was very obliging. seen me ,but not scared ,just face me directly and either sat down or layed down , if it had been lazily walking in a certain direction ,doubt i would have hit it. it took long enough to dope in a staionary critter at that distance. with my 9x i could barely see the thing. and glassed it but indeed thought it was a rock first time.

when i shot out to a mile this past fall with my 338 i estimated my hold,think 2 people were helping me out with isnipe,anyhow cranked my scope up and used the last reticle at 22x, fired , could not tell if it was a hit. so decided to get someone with the spotting scope and i started walking my shots in ,the target was big, but still,about 4 shots watched the dust inch closer to the target and voila the 2nd last reticle seemed to be hitting the target, so 2 moa(last/2nd last reticle line difference) at that distance is 36", i very well might have hit it the first shot.ill never know. point is a bit of practise and you could make a cold bore shot at that distance. no head shots or trick shot but get it there.
    I would say there is a pretty big difference between shooting 1000y and 2000y. Range estimation is much harder and wind drift is bigger and way more variable. You dont have the luxury of walking shots into an animal, as you would a target. Unless you are hunting from the same spot with know distances and prior practice in that location, its pretty out of hand to take 2000 yard shots.

who imports them, and distributes?
    not sure if it was mentioned lots of pages here.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnitzl View Post
    who imports them, and distributes?
    not sure if it was mentioned lots of pages here.
    Wolverine does themselves. However I am still waiting for an answer about wether or not they are again banned from coming into Canada given recent changes in The US.

Quote Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
    Wolverine does themselves. However I am still waiting for an answer about wether or not they are again banned from coming into Canada given recent changes in The US.
    As far as we are aware there have been no recent changes, we expect to receive more Barrett fiftys in the near future.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Shooter1of38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    As far as we are aware there have been no recent changes, we expect to receive more Barrett fiftys in the near future.
    That is great news....I need a 50BMG to keep my 338 PGW company
    Guns are cheap entertainment....The least OBTUSE of my interests

Good to know. Heard of you Wolverine. Now to find a range where 50 cal Barret's can be shot (in Ontario...for me). A shame we can't setup shooting ranges in our backyards (given the right acreage) as is possible in Tennessee in the US for example.

You can.
    But you can only shoot non-restricted firearms there unless somehow approved for restricteds