Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage Model 42 c.22/.410 O/U Rifle/Shotgun

CGN Regular
    Don't know about threading, but I patterned mine at 15yrds with #4 today. A little loose, but not bad. I have some #6 I need to pattern still.

CGN Regular
    Quite liking this gun now. Small, light, accurate ( now that I fixed the problem).

With rear plastic sight at lowest position and shooting high, my only reasonable alternative was to shave rear sight down so I purchased and put on a low profile Skinner Peep Sight on mine. Had to cut and dress bolt as it was too long (bolt 6 by 48) as it interfered with bore. Quite happy with 25 m indoor shooting now. The extractor is not functional on 22's and misses 410 dummy rounds....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodaka View Post
    Bought one the other day. I actually don't mind the look/feel so much, and it's nice and light. Action is smooth, but trigger a little heavy.
    Took it to the indoor range today, and now I'm a little disappointed. Both barrels print to same POI (HV .22, .410 slug), but that POI is way high even with rear sight bottomed out. I also had to dial the rear sight as far left as I could. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I should start modifying the rear sight, or looking for an aftermarket piece. Not wanting to put glass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by abbill View Post
    With rear plastic sight at lowest position and shooting high, my only reasonable alternative was to shave rear sight down so I purchased and put on a low profile Skinner Peep Sight on mine. Had to cut and dress bolt as it was too long (bolt 6 by 48) as it interfered with bore. Quite happy with 25 m indoor shooting now. The extractor is not functional on 22's and misses 410 dummy rounds....
    I ordered a burris fastfire for this gun. It says in the manual (read online) you take out the top screws for the rear sight and put your scope mount on there. My question is, are those screws just screwed into polymer? Or are they threaded into metal?
    -SideBurnz-

The area under the rear sight is metal. This breech end of the barrels or receiver is metal, what metal I do not know... The bolt spacing is 7/8" and in line with barrels, not perpendicular....... and from what I realize it is threaded to No. 6 fastener by 48 tpi...or at least the fixed front of the rear sight is....
    Quote Originally Posted by S1de8urnz View Post
    I ordered a burris fastfire for this gun. It says in the manual (read online) you take out the top screws for the rear sight and put your scope mount on there. My question is, are those screws just screwed into polymer? Or are they threaded into metal?
    Last edited by abbill; 02-04-2013 at 01:51 AM.

Right on! This will work. I have everything ready... Burris fastfire sight, buttstock pouch for the .22wmr + .410, and last but not least a paracord weaved gun sling. My new hiking and grouse gun.

Just waiting for the WMR version..... Waiting waiting waiting......
    -SideBurnz-

I ordered a Picatinny scope mount from Evolution Gun Works, looks great and I think I'll order a Burris Fast fire to mount on it. I found the stock sites to be crap. Its a great hiking/bush gun and have taken a few Grouse & rabbit this past fall with it. Considering Armor coating it for looks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Can this gun be broken down into 2 pieces? Ive wanted one of these for a while but want it as a backpack gun and if it cant be easily broken down theres really no point in getting rid of my tuffy.
    It takes a screw driver due to the fact the handgrip is 1 solid piece I was going to buy one until I found out it's not easy to take apart I went WHY! It was the perfect little gun I wanted..

Hodaka, How did uou take care of the burr? I have same issue.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhammer View Post
    Hodaka, How did uou take care of the burr? I have same issue.
    Just use a sharp pocket knife that's what a gun smith did just pulled out is knife and removed the bur simple and easy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast