Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs down to Marstar

Expired Business
    JERICHO;
    As you will note, I make every effort to assist a customer with an issue, however when they refuse to provide any details, even basic ones like who they are, what is the order number....
    People seem to think we have committed to memory all details of their file, who they are, where they live, what they bought, how it was shipped, and lets not forget their pen name on CGN....

When people, like yourself, ask for a reasonable reply, it is forthcoming.

John

CGN Regular
    John,

When Marstar advertized those MG-34 barrels as 'New excellent condition' and I bought several of them, only to receive used barrels with pipe wrench marks all over them, pitted muzzles and reblued, I made a resolution to never deal with you again. Just saying.
    "The semi-automatic weapons’ menacing looks, coupled with the public’s confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons — anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun — can only increase that chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons." — Josh Sugarmann, 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    This day and age, emails are just as legitimate. Many of the dealers in Canada today exist because of online orders. If you're going to run an online service, you should respond to emails just as you would respond to a telephone call.
    Sure, but smart people realize that picking up a phone when other avenues aren't happening is a natural progression to an intelligent resolution. Something about the definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over, and over again, and expecting a different result.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    WATERWHEEL;
    "I sure as sugar know a lot more about both business on the internet and customer service than you do"
    Excellent, I would be pleased to hire you as a consultant, on the other hand we offer still stands, why not simply by me out ?
    Our problem is that your industry doesn't make enough money to make it worthwhile for either of us for you to hire me. I rarely consult, and when I do it's for fortune 500 level companies, not small businesses like yourself.

However I'll give you some advice for free. Your business will be better off if you simply turn off the computer and walk away from this thread. Throw the shovel away and quit digging. There you go, that's the best advice you'll get, for any price.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnnut View Post
    Sure, but smart people realize that picking up a phone when other avenues aren't happening is a natural progression to an intelligent resolution. Something about the definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over, and over again, and expecting a different result.
    No, smart people move on to another retailer for their purchases, and leave threads like this as warnings to other potential clients.

Smart businesses realize that you don't force your customers into your preferred way of doing business, That level of common sense seems to be missing in this gun industry, My clients are welcome to contact me by toll free or email, and I respond to both in detail. Some like to call me to get a direct answer. Some like to email at 10pm at night. While the service preferences differ between these two groups of clients I've found one similiarity - their money spends the same when they buy from me.

My first online business back in the late 90's was in response to crappy service from a bunch of retailers. Nothing more, nothing less. I simply provided better service and in a year I owned I figure 90%+ of the business in my niche in Canada. I kicked the large retailers back to the U.S. and the other Canadian retailers, don't know what happened to them. Then I opened a location in the U.S. and before I'd made even four figures in sales the American retailers woke up and bought me out. Products were identical, I competed on price, but mostly on service. People were sick of years of crappy service and no alternatives. I offered them an alternative, and they ran, not walked, to my website. Here's an example - timeframe was always an issue for the product. Courier closed at 8:30pm locally. When I got an order at 6pm, I packed the order, ran to the courier, and they got their package at 8am the next day. I once got an order locally first thing in the morning. I packed the order up, drove 20 minutes and rang their doorbell before noon.

Same thing with inventory. Everyone out of stock all the time. If the product existed, I had it in stock. Once I had to buy a product from my competitor in the state and have it delivered to a US address, then I drove to the U.S same day, picked it up, and sent it to my client. I moved heck and high water to make sure I had inventory, up to and including routinely importing products from the U.S. on a routine/weekly basis. In the gun industry, I dunno why but even basic stuff like 22 ammo is out of stock all over the place all the time.

There's a niche to be filled. I'm not the guy to do it since I know squat about guns and ammo - but one of these days some keener with an interest is going to see the same thing that I do, and tear this industry a new hole. They'll have inventory, strong prices and outstanding customer service, and then everyone will talk, and everyone will order from them.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by waterwheel View Post
    There's a niche to be filled. I'm not the guy to do it since I know squat about guns and ammo - but one of these days some keener with an interest is going to see the same thing that I do, and . They'll have inventory, strong prices and outstanding customer service, and then everyone will talk, and everyone will order from them.
    I still have yet to gain a comfort level with buying from online sources. I have noticed that a lot of niche products (across all online retailers) are out of stock. I would think this is due to manufacturers, and import delays...not to mention all the paperwork required by the governing bodies. That said, the retailers still want to let us know that they 'can get it for us...' it just might require a little bit of patience from the buying community.

I believe anyone with a vision to 'tear this industry a new hole' would encounter the same challenges.

Like I said, I haven't bought much online...but I think those that provide this service don't do it entirely for the $$$...from what I gather they are also hobbyists and get excited about deals, new products etc in the same way we (the buyers do) and like to pass these along to the shooting community. Sometimes pastures aren't so green, and processes need to be refined, I say cut them some slack.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Jericho's Avatar
    While I thank you for the non-rude reply, these aren't the issues brought forth here. It is the customer service or lack thereof. Fairly large companies tend to not give a hoot about the little guy. Eventually, it catches up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    JERICHO;
    As you will note, I make every effort to assist a customer with an issue, however when they refuse to provide any details, even basic ones like who they are, what is the order number....
    People seem to think we have committed to memory all details of their file, who they are, where they live, what they bought, how it was shipped, and lets not forget their pen name on CGN....

When people, like yourself, ask for a reasonable reply, it is forthcoming.

John

CGN Regular
    Yes, "People" do seem to think that.

I handle dozens of calls every day and 'People' still call me and expect me to remember our last conversation from 5 years ago. I don't respond 'how do you expect me to recall that?'. I'd frankly be embarrassed to say that. And it's not how I treat customers that I'm looking to have send me money. So instead I paid thousands to have a database customized that tracks all our clients so that when once of them calls I 'remember' everything about their last phone call, including who they are, what they ordered and where they live. When they call, it's like old times because I'm looking at all details of our last conversation. That's what I was prepared to do. Thankfully, my competitors aren't apparently prepared to do that.

And they seem to like that better than if I mocked them about how I'm expected to remember someone's name when the only positive attribute about them is that they send me their money.

Anyway, I think I've overcontributed to this thread so I'll leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwheel View Post
    Yes, "People" do seem to think that.

I handle dozens of calls every day and 'People' still call me and expect me to remember our last conversation from 5 years ago. I don't respond 'how do you expect me to recall that?'. I'd frankly be embarrassed to say that. And it's not how I treat customers that I'm looking to have send me money. So instead I paid thousands to have a database customized that tracks all our clients so that when once of them calls I 'remember' everything about their last phone call, including who they are, what they ordered and where they live. When they call, it's like old times because I'm looking at all details of our last conversation. That's what I was prepared to do. Thankfully, my competitors aren't apparently prepared to do that.

And they seem to like that better than if I mocked them about how I'm expected to remember someone's name when the only positive attribute about them is that they send me their money.

Anyway, I think I've overcontributed to this thread so I'll leave it at that.
    Again well said waterwheel
    157 posts and almost 13 thousand views,great advertiseing Marstar you have done well.

Graydog

BANNED
    i bought the 75 dollar sks from marstar. everything was processed and shipped in good time. only issue was paying about 125 dollars for shipping. turned out to be $ 20 more than buying the same stuff locally. no big deal i think of it as a learning experience.

id buy stuff from marstar again for sure. if that stuff couldnt be found anywhere else since shipping seems a bit expensive. it makes sense though since i live in bc which is really far away.

my experience was a good one