Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PAL and RPAL course ontario recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    I took my course with Firearms Academy of Canada who runs the RPAL course at the Days Inn near Wilson and Jane. Very informative and lots of hands-on instructions.
    I got mine booked in March with Firearms Academy of Canada. Heard some good things.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
    I am trying to decide on where I will sign up myself.

I have two locations close to me. One is run out of a commercial unit, has a website etc. Ready Aim Firearms Safety. About 15/20 min from my house.

The other is run out of the persons house. I asked all the right questions like, is he recognized by the CFO of Ont,years of experience etc.. His reply was

"We are glad to see you are looking into the course specifics. From what we
    hear from others that attend our course, there are a lot of questionable
    sources out there recently.

To answer your questions....Yes the course is run out of our house. I am a
    certified instructor with the Chief Firearms Office of Ontario. My
    information can be found on the official FSESO website. I have been
    teaching this course for about 18 years, have over 25 years of firearms
    experience and about 22 years as a law enforcement firearms instructor.

I hope this clarifies any questions you may have. If you have others,
    please don't hesitate to contact me.
    John"

So he seems more than qualified. Should the fact that it is run out of his home be a concern?
    Sorry, but it looks like my question at the end of my post got overlooked.

Would someone please take a look at it.

Thanks guys....I want to get the ball rolling.

CGN frequent flyer
    I can't see that it matters where the course is held. As long as he has enough space for whatever number of students he takes per class. I took the "old" version of the Hunter Safety Course, back around 1980, in the basement of the instructor's house and it was just fine - no problms.

Any recommendations for the course and exam bundle in KW area? I live near Listowel, but I doubt is there a course + exam bundle
    IDF

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tetra View Post
    I got mine booked in March with Firearms Academy of Canada. Heard some good things.
    Good stuff. Gerhard and his wife are great instructors with LOTS of patience. There was a guy in my class that just could not get into his head to keep his finger off the trigger. If I was an instructor, the amount of times and warnings given to that guy, I would probably have lost my temper LONG LONG LONG time ago. Good thing I'm not an instructor, I would suck. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Good stuff. Gerhard and his wife are great instructors with LOTS of patience. There was a guy in my class that just could not get into his head to keep his finger off the trigger. If I was an instructor, the amount of times and warnings given to that guy, I would probably have lost my temper LONG LONG LONG time ago. Good thing I'm not an instructor, I would suck. lol
    Cool, thanks for that. I spoke to Gerhard briefely via e-mail and he seemed like a really nice guy. Looking forward to going in!

Stay away from the courses at Georgian College at the Barrie campus. Tried for 3 weeks to get something booked as I need both the PAL and PAL/R. Called them this last Monday, when all the students where returning from break, and asked if the class was still open. Got the line "if it's still open on our website, then it's still accepting sturdents." Went in immediately, stood around for half an hour, get to the admissions desk only to find out after about 15 minutes of frustration on the part of the admissions clerk that the course instructor cancelled it prior to the holidays and never updated the system or let admissions know.

Called Barb at the Barrie Gun Club and was able to pay for both courses on the weekend of January 26-27 and already am reading my study material cover to cover. They do it out of a business located off of Bryne Dr (Commerce Park Dr) that is conveniently located near the 400. Dino is welll respected in the local shooting world and seemed to be a wealth of knowledge. I dropped by their home to pay and pick up my materials and they were good people.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" From S. Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Quote Originally Posted by oneguy View Post
    Sorry, but it looks like my question at the end of my post got overlooked.

Would someone please take a look at it.

Thanks guys....I want to get the ball rolling.
    Do not be worried at all. I took mine out of a local guys house, and all went well. Classroom sizes are generally smaller, so you get more hands on and individual help if needed, and I price-wise he was the cheapest around.

+1 for York Region Firearm Academy, it's in a proper classroom and the instructors are enthusiastic. You also get a ton of time handling all the types of firearms.

CGN Regular
    I eneded up signing up with Ready Aim Firearms Safety in Oakville.

The guy closer to me was the same price, but comunication was sparse.

I would wait for days to get answers to questions. I know how fast these classes fill up so after a little over a week of trying to get info from him, I signed up with Ready Aim. My classes are Feb 18/19.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast