Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Praise for the Cooey model 84 and a couple of questions

Praise for the Cooey model 84 and a couple of questions

Hi to all my northern brethren (from first time poster here)!

My first firearm ever (back in 1977) was a Winchester model 37A shotgun in 20 gauge with a full-choke 28" barrel and a 3" chamber. While still young, I foolishly sold that gun to help my brother pay for an engagement ring for a woman to whom he is no longer married.

I sure miss that gun, and was looking to replace it, when I came upon the history of the Winchester 37A and realized that the Cooey model 84 was the precursor to it, so I purchased one of those instead.

In my opinion, my Cooey model 84 is a much better-made gun; I love this gun!

I got a 20 gauge with a 28" barrel, and supposedly a 2-3/4" chamber; but I think I may have a later model 84 as it has a serial number on it (74784), and it appears to have a 3" chamber. Is that possible? I've read that most model 84s had short chambers, and that only the model 840s (in 12 and 20) had 3" chambers. Is that correct?

I have some 3" turkey loads I'd like to test in this gun, but even if I can only ever use 2-3/4" shells in it, this gun rocks! No one I've talked to in the USA (except my friend, Trish, a Canadian import) even knows what a "Cooey" is, so I figured you guys were the ones to ask. Thanks, all, and have a Merry Christmas!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If it has 3 inch chambers it would say so on it. Mine has normal chambers also with a serial number. I also so have the 840 with the 3 inch chambers insribed on the barrel. Hope this helps. I also have a older one that I bought off a kid many years ago that he had used 3 inch shells in and it has this nasty habit of popping open all the time so was retired.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Raton57 View Post
    If it has 3 inch chambers it would say so on it. Mine has normal chambers also with a serial number. I also so have the 840 with the 3 inch chambers insribed on the barrel. Hope this helps. I also have a older one that I bought off a kid many years ago that he had used 3 inch shells in and it has this nasty habit of popping open all the time so was retired.
    Thanks; I guess I'll just live with the 2-3/4" shells; it patterns well enough with them; thanks again.

Just check it. I have an old Cooey model 84 that doesn't say how long the chamber is. I measured it an it takes 3" shells. They were good old guns and have taken a lot of game over the years up here in Canada.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I have a couple of them as well a 16ga and a 12ga. Also have a couple 37a's which look almost identical.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter1 View Post
    Just check it. I have an old Cooey model 84 that doesn't say how long the chamber is. I measured it an it takes 3" shells. They were good old guns and have taken a lot of game over the years up here in Canada.
    Interesting; I just did a dowel/ruler quick check, and it appears to have the same length chamber as my H&R Tamer, which is clearly marked for 3" shells. I'll have my gunsmith buddy verify it this weekend for me; thank you.

Yes, these Cooey shotguns are good old guns for sure; I can see why they were so popular in Canada; every now and then I see one pop up for sale in the USA (I notice them now, because I look for them specifically); I wouldn't mind picking up another model 84 in 12 gauge...and maybe one in .410...I wouldn't mind a 16 gauge either *lol*
    ...like you said, they are good old guns, but most folk here are unaware of that...works to my advantage.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rick911's Avatar
    I have sold an old rusted model 84. It was ugly and stinky. True story.
    Last edited by Rick911; 02-24-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick911 View Post
    I have an old rusted model 84. Its ugly and it stinks. True story.
    Man, you might want to clean that bad boy up; they are not gorgeous, but those model 84s have a functional/utilitarian beauty to them; here's a pic of mine...

Welcome aboard.
    "We should focus on bad people rather that banned objects." Robert Poole Jr., director of transportation policy at the Reason Foundation

Family portrait:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...postcount=1040

Sisu

family photo

Quote Originally Posted by tiina View Post
    Welcome aboard.
    Thank you; and, by the way, I love that pic of "The whole family;" that's some awesome pets there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast