Thread: SHOT SHOW 2013 Report: Ashbury Precision Ordnance SABER-FORSST Modular Rifle Chassis

Salty Knife Nut

SHOT SHOW 2013 Report: Ashbury Precision Ordnance SABER-FORSST Modular Rifle Chassis

Rifle Chassis are the new hot item it seems in the bolt action world. I covered pretty much all of them.

I had never heard of APO before receiving an email from them amongst the many other pre-shot adverts that were sent out.

The SABER-FORSST is another take on the modular rifle chassis system. The big factor for them is the utilization of materials such as carbon fiber and other polymers. Not only are they very ergonomic, they are light and offer plenty of options. Base weight is approx 6.3lb

SHOT 2013 Media Day (52 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (230 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

They also offer some different colours

SHOT 2013 Media Day (242 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

I will start at the back and work my way forward:

SHOT 2013 Media Day (241 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr
    • The Shoulder Stock is fully Adjustable and is offered in Fixed, Folding Hinge, and Detachable options. It was explained to me that if you wanted to change it later you just need to add or remove one small piece.
    • They offer Tool-less and Tool-adjustable options, using different fasteners that offer either screw down or push button choices
    • It uses a Limbsaver Recoil Pad, integral flush cup swivel ports and it is ambidextrous with the adjustable cheek piece for right or left hand shooting. They make right and left hand models across their whole lineup.
    • The big thing for their buttstock is the optional monopod. it is a fold down, height adjustable using a threaded lift (like the accushot)
    • The folding buttstock folds to the right. It uses a pushbutton release to fold and cams over rather than locks when folded. This is apparently due to military requiring it to be quickly deployed without having to fumble with a button. The cam is pretty strong though so it won't flop out on you. One person asked about why they decided to fold it over to the left rather than some companies that fold to the right covering the bolt. The answer was readily apparent as soon as I saw it in person. If it were to fold to the right it would put the pivot point right where you are working the action and would be a huge pain in the a$$.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (236 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (237 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (55 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

The Center Chassis Section, where all the action takes place (no pun intended :D)

SHOT 2013 Media Day (56 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (240 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (234 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (233 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (231 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

• It is modularly interchangeable and is offered in short, long, and XL lengths. They are have models to fit: HS Precision HTR, McMillan G30 S/A-L/A 50BMG, Rem700 S/A & L/A, Surgeon 591/1086/XL, SAKO TRG-42, Savage 110BA and Weatherby Vanguard.
    • One cool thing is the Grip to 'Trigger Distance Adjustment' and 'Variable Angle Grip Adapter'. There are a couple companies offering this in their stocks. You can move the grip forward and back in slight increments for precise trigger pull setup for your hand as well as angle, if you prefer a more straight grip approach or an angled AR style grip.
    • They also offer a paddle like mag release lever.
    • They use a MAGPUL hand grip in their models but if I heard him right you have other options.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (238 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

Their Forend is very cool and kind of what really sets them apart

The mounts on the forend are co-bore aligned and use MIL-STD 1913 rails.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (244 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

• The MOD-1 is a "Unitized Monolithic Rail that reaches back to the top of the action. It is available in 0, 20, 30, 40 and 60 MOA.
    • The MOD-0 uses the existing receiver's scope base then has a 4" top and bottom rail but no side rails. With the exception of the Unitized Monolithic Rail, there are plenty of screwdown points for custom placement of the rails wherever you want. Side, Top, Bottom, forward, back, all over the place, etc.
    • They also have integral flush-cup swivel ports.

I had the chance to do some shooting with the stock as well. I found it one of the most ergonomic stocks I have had the chance to use. It rivals my JAE 700.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (59 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (60 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (69 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (67 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

As for sales. The MSRP is in the upper 1000-mid 2000$ mark. They are very happy to deal with Canadians and would be happy to deal directly.

CGN Regular
    Looks nice! What does it use for mags (AI?)

Do they recommend bedding it or is it set up for self-bedding like the AI and a couple other systems?

Salty Knife Nut
    They advertise it as a "Bedding-less Action interface technology" so no bedding necessary.

As far as I recall, yes they take AI Mags.

I want one for my 700 spa tactical
    GO NAVY!

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    They DO employ the AI style mag.
    We have a permit in the works for exportation having placed a large order with them. Hopefully we will see them in the next couple of months.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Salty Knife Nut
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    They DO employ the AI style mag.
    We have a permit in the works for exportation having placed a large order with them. Hopefully we will see them in the next couple of months.

I think i just wet myself a little... Thats sexy!!!
    Troy Northern Guard, Inforce WML, Squid Grips, Phase 5 "BAD" lever. PMags and lots of ammo
    Remington 700 SPS Tac, Nikon M223 scope, Bi Pod, SPS Varmint stock.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    We just heard back and we CAN bring in their 50 cal rifles too!!! More stuff on order.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there