Thread: SHOT SHOW 2013: Promag Archangel AA700 - Rem 700 Precision Rifle Stock

Salty Knife Nut

SHOT SHOW 2013: Promag Archangel AA700 - Rem 700 Precision Rifle Stock

Greentips covered their other products while I took a look at their recent product, the Remington 700 Stock.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (174 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

It is essentially a poor mans JAE 700 Stock in terms of appearance and construction minus the rail foreend or any of the precision machining or high quality materials. Overall though it is a good choice for those wishing to spend as little as possible while keeping with a chassis type appearance and functionality of LOP, Cheek-rest adjustment and Detachable Magazine bottom metal.

If you have a Rem SPS barreled action then this is more down your line though you would probably be better with some of the other stock makers in the price range, though for the adjustable features it is hard to beat the price.

Specs according to the brochure:

• Aluminum pillar bedded
    • Extremely durable construction
    • Precision fit inlet provides excellent accuracy.
    • Free-float barrel channel accepts most barrel contours
    • Integrated forend flush-fit bi-pod features push-button/one-hand deployment.
    • Length of pull is thumbwheel click adjustable from 13.5″ to 15.125″ in 24 steps
    • Cheek riser is thumbwheel click adjustable in .05″ increments to a rise of 1.2”
    • Incorporates 3 integral steel inserts for ball-lock/push-button QD sling swivels
    • Grip storage compartment
    • Includes a 10-rd, detachable box magazine (AA308 01) of heat-treated steel construction and Parkerized finish, with a high-strength Chrome-silicon wire spring for long life and reliable service (20-rd magazine available seperately – AA308-A1)
    • AA700A - MSRP – $349.25
    • AA700B - MSRP – $399.75

SHOT 2013 Media Day (176 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

Overall, It is very plasticy but for the price you can't complain

The Rifle has an integral bipod. I don't like it at all. it is floppy and is in a fixed length and cannot be adjusted. I think they were too focused on making something "different" rather than just stick a small picatinny rail, or an anchutz style slot, or even an option with simple swivel studs.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (179 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

SHOT 2013 Media Day (180 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

I don't know, they were trying to go with a 'precision' stock, they should have known that most shooters looking for a precision stock would not be happy with a flimsy unadjustable bipod rather than putting on at least a Harris or other make Bipod which is stronger and more rigid. I can see these breaking pretty quick for those that will use it. I wasn't impressed with the idea of it or the construction. Again yes it is cheap, but it would be even cheaper if they skipped the whole bipod thing and threw on a swivel stud or two. There is a flush cup just forward of the bipod that may be of help but it is a little too forward to fit a harris or other bipod though without it sticking off the end.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (177 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

The buttstock is effectively accomplished with wheels. The cheek-riser is pretty much taken from the JAE-700 stock just cheaped out. But it does the job for its purpose with even clicks, just not as precise. The LOP is operated with the wheel. Again, it does the job.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (178 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

Here is an image of the buttstock of the JAE Rifle, you can see what I mean where they got the design idea (I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) Like I said, poor man's JAE 700. Note the shape of the cheekrest, placement of the wheel adjustment and flush-cup. Not very original on the part of archangel. I am not saying they went out and stole anything but you can definitely tell where they got the inspiration from.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (140 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

Bottom line though. For those looking for an affordable Rem 700 Rifle with adjustable features then you may want to give one a go though i'm sure you will be looking for a way to mod it to fit a different bipod

CGN Sponsoring dealer Hical.ca is taking pre-orders for them for those interested.

hmmm

thanks for the info. I have been really looking forward to this stock and the integral bipod was my only concern. wish there was a way to mount a real bipod on it.

I'm still gonna get it. My plan is to remove that clunky bipod, attach my own pic rail and go from there. Thank you

Excellent review!! Thanks ceriksson.

For reasons I already suspected (no bedding block), I'll pass.

Salty Knife Nut
    If they are smart they will make another option for the same stock that doesn't have the integral bipod, and make it slightly cheaper.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9x19p View Post
    Excellent review!! Thanks ceriksson.

For reasons I already suspected (no bedding block), I'll pass.
    Two versions: one with pillars, one with block.

Thanks for the info
    GO NAVY!

They might want to look into making something like this for the Savage Axis. Probably be a good seller.