Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Sale for Restricted Firearm Question/Help!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    I find this confusing

Why would you need a range membership to get a restricted? And how does the provincial CFO verify this? Do they call the club or take your word for it?

In Ontario, if they ask, just tell them you 'intend' on joining 'x' club or lie. You cannot get an LTATT in Ontario until you belong to a club, since the club does this for you.

If I understand right, in other provinces, you can get an LTATT just fine, but they won't approve the transfer until you belong to a club?
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

From what I got, there's nothing in the law in other provinces (read outside Ontario) regarding requiring range membership to have a firearm transferred to you.

However, if you want to go out and shoot it at a range, then you need to apply for a LTATT from your CFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    I find this confusing

Why would you need a range membership to get a restricted? And how does the provincial CFO verify this? Do they call the club or take your word for it?

In Ontario, if they ask, just tell them you 'intend' on joining 'x' club or lie. You cannot get an LTATT in Ontario until you belong to a club, since the club does this for you.

If I understand right, in other provinces, you can get an LTATT just fine, but they won't approve the transfer until you belong to a club?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Well, Ontario doesn't require one either. So, I think all provinces are similar except possibly Quebec
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Sounds about right. Anybody think otherwise?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The BC CFO might take your word on belonging to a club. I have had to fax in proof before having a transfer approved before though.

So when you call the RCMP at Miramichi in NB, they do the transferring as usual. Where does the BC CFO come into play?

And when the transfer goes through and you get an ATT to bring it home, do they fax you a piece of paper or how do you physically get the ATT or is it just a permission granted?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    BC CFO has to approve the transfer before CFC can transfer it to your name. Every time I have bought a restricted from a store, the STATT has been faxed to the store along with the transfer notice and they have called me to come pick it up. Buying private takes longer lately, so I phone every day and ask them if it's done yet. They can then email or fax the STATT to me and the registration comes in the mail in 2 weeks to a month.
    Kristian

What's the accepted practice among people trading restricted firearms regarding the timing of payment? Should this be once the transferee (purchaser) has received the confirmation notice from the CFO? (From RCMP website - "Both parties will receive a confirmation notice to advise them of the completion of the transfer, and the registration certificate will be mailed to the new owner within a few weeks.")

I'm just wondering if you should make payment while there's still some potential for a bureaucratic snafu.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danoiwan View Post
    scan both side of your PAL, send to seller.
    You do not need to scan both sides of your PAL. All the seller needs is the number and name. They call in the CFO with the PAL # and name and that is when the CFO starts vetting the request. If there is any problem with this information they will let you know. BTW the CFO can't confirm the address of the buyer. I've tried asking.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast