Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Sale for Restricted Firearm Question/Help!

Private Sale for Restricted Firearm Question/Help!

Hello,

I just upgraded to an RPAL and I'm not sure about the process that I need to go through to purchase a restricted firearm from another person.

First, I need a range membership, and fax in a LTATT form to my CFO? What else do I need to do?

Does the seller phone CFC and initiate the transfer which I complete as per the pre-LGR unrestricted transfers?

And then, how will I get an short term ATT? Does this allow me to pickup the gun from the seller and drive it home?

Perhaps if somebody could break this down for me as I'm a total newb with this.

Thanks in advance.

Yes you will need a range membership. scan both side of your PAL, send to seller. Seller will start transfer and give your a reference number. Then you call and give them reference number and answer some questions and ask for a short term att to bring it home, unless its being mailed to you. a long term ATT has nothing to do with a private sale. most ranges will take care of the LTATT for you. Hope that helps you.
    You can never have enough Mag's

Last edited by rattler280; 01-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Great thanks for clearing that up. I'm in BC so no range membership is required, unless I need to apply for a LTATT correct?

They seller will initiate the transfer by calling the CFO, they'll need your PAL#. After they initiate they'll be given a reference#. Get the reference# from them and call the CFO. Follow the phone prompts to complete the transfer. A person will ask you a couple of questions, birth date, place of birth, address of where the firearm will be stored. Once the approval is complete, they'll contact the seller so that he or she may ship, or you can pick up. They will also mail you your new registration for said firearm. You'll need... At least in AB a STATT to transport the firearm from the post office or address where you are picking it up from.

Hope this helps,

T.Jay

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
    Unless you're in Ontario, then you don't need a range membership, but you can't move your gun from your home without one. Every other province i am under the impression that you do though.
    You don't need a range membership in Ontario either, unless something has change from the time when I bought my first restricted.

In any event, the CFO, nor the retailer has any way to know for sure if you belong to a club
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Onagoth View Post
    You don't need a range membership in Ontario either, unless something has change from the time when I bought my first restricted.

In any event, the CFO, nor the retailer has any way to know for sure if you belong to a club
    Ya my bad. I worded that very poorly. I meant you need a range membership in every province other than Ontario.

Do you need a range membership in order to complete a transfer? Or do you need a range membership to get a LTATT from the CFO?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    They probably won't approve the transfer until you have a range membership. The last couple I have done, they asked what the purpose was, collector or target shooting. When I said target shooting they wanted the name of my range. I already had a LTATT. There is nothing in the law about needing a membership, this is just what the CFO has decided to require. Anyone can drop in at any time at my range for $15 a day. With as much as I go the last couple years this would make more sense to me, so I am going to see about this option when the time comes to renew. You can initiate the transfer as the buyer too, I did this once with a guy that didn't have a clue what the process was. That way I didn't have to give him any pal info, and he just had to call in the reference number I gave him.
    Kristian

Sorry I was referring to the CFC/RCMP, not the CFO requiring a range membership just to take possession of the restricted firearm. Still need one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast