Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2013 REPORT: Trackingpoint Precision Guided Firearm

Salty Knife Nut

SHOT SHOW 2013 REPORT: Trackingpoint Precision Guided Firearm

Well, one cannot go to SHOT and not cover the Trackingpoint.

Trackingpoint is marketed as a "Precision Guided Firearm." Essentially it is a scope that does all the work for you with the exception of wind.

It uses the same technology that fighter jets use to calculate a shot. It lases the the target for range, then locks onto the target (Marketed as "Intelligent Digital Tracking") and calculates a solution over 57 times a second. The only input you have to manually input is wind.

So all you do is find the target you want to shoot. Press a little red button and the crosshairs will leave a little red dot on your target. With proper contrast it will track that target and the dot will remain even as the target moves. It will continue to track that target and internally will do a full ballistic calculation. Then, when you are ready to shoot you simply hold down the trigger whenever you want then while still holding the trigger, move the crosshairs back over the target. When it is perfectly lined up the rifle will automatically continue the shot.

Here is a youtube video from the media package with a short explanation of part of it:

[youtube]LmYBpRZW6Z8[/youtube]

It is pretty cool and a very unique advancement in shooting technology. This was its first time at SHOT and it got a lot of interest as one would expect.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (38 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

It has tons of cool features.

First beyond tagging the target and calculating a solution it also has a wifi transmitter that when paired with an ipad or iphone will stream what the shooter sees and records as well.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (78 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

Here is a short video I took of one guy shooting. The shooter had just tagged the target and he carries on with the shoot. You can watch it through the ipad they had set up.
    [youtube]ZImNayIk218[/youtube]

Now, what made it more impressive was that what you can't tell was that it was very windy out there that day like 15-25kph winds.

I had my own turn on the rifle. I fired two .338 Lapua rounds at the 1000yd target and in the 15-25kph gusting winds I hit the target bang on twice.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (80 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

The rifle itself is made with Surgeon rifles. .338 Lapua on a custom receiver for the trackingpoint system.

SHOT 2013 Media Day (36 of 378).jpg by ceriksson, on Flickr

The MSRP is likely going to be somewhere between $15,000 - $20,000 USD

Now, while I am expecting the typical stream of calls that it is cheating, blah blah blah, no matter what your opinion is of the system, you cannot disagree that it is interesting to see an advancement in precision shooting technology to this level. Regardless if I will ever own something like this or even want to I appreciate that someone is working hard to move the industry forward.
    Last edited by ceriksson; 01-23-2013 at 12:19 AM.

I had a chance to try it at Media Day as well.
    It was fornicating cold out in the open desert and I was shivering badly.
    But when I brought the crosshairs up onto the spot I had previously "painted", the gun fired at exactly the right moment and I clanged the plate.

Having said that, I had a private conversation with a well known name former sniper (There were at least 3 famous name snipers at SHOT, and I briefly spoke to 2) who said flat out that this will not be adopted by military, as military does not want to become so dependent on funky technology.
    Just a thought for those that say this has no place in civilian sales.

The system is more than just a scope. The entire gun package is the system. You cannot simply buy a scope and release trigger to retrofit old Betsy.

Salty Knife Nut
    Man you must have been cold! I was layered up and I still froze my ass off. Over a week later my lips are still healing from the wind, blowing sand and freezing cold.

I can see it being purchased by high priced hunting lodges and the people with lots of disposable income.

Don't want to be a party pooper, but aren't electrically activated triggers prohibited in Canada?

Still pretty cool system.
    R.I.P.
    Long Gun Registry
    December 1st, 1998 - April 5, 2012

Never Again

Salty Knife Nut
    I can't find it listed anywhere in Canadian Law.

One area where it could be considered prohibited from what I have researched is that it could be argued to be easily configured for full auto. However that only applies in a Semi Automatic rifle. I can't see that being any legal issue in a bolt action rifle.

If you can prove me wrong I will happily concede.

As long as the trigger assembly can only fit the model shown and can't be made to fit a semi-auto firearm, it should be good to go.

I remember somewhere that the electrical trigger solenoids used on the big bertha quad-mounts were a no-no here. But they are semi only.
    Bolt actions might be fine but then again...
    R.I.P.
    Long Gun Registry
    December 1st, 1998 - April 5, 2012

Never Again

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclone's Avatar
    Mind-blowing..........
    But there is only one person that I see on CGN as being truly despicable by every ethical and moral standards and worse: to be dangerous to the community itself, and that's Cyclone the subversive.

If I had 15-20k extra sitting around, it sure as hell wouldnt go itno a gun that took all the fun out of shooting.
    I 'advise' you to learn how to spell 'advice'.

BANNED
    Neat.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Maybe as technology improves, the price will come down.
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast