Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Stalingrad Battle of Death 3 Parts (english )

I can also recommend "STUKA PILOT" by Hans Ulrich Rudel and "Erinnerungen eines Soldaten" by Heinz Guderian. I think i read in english both of the books few years ago. Rudel was a German pilot who has pro-Hitler and and supported his ideas and Guderian belonged to German military elite who didn't like Hitler at all. Of course every memoirs should be taken with grain of salt, but those books give interesting insight on the war from the otehr side.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer farmer47's Avatar
    this is a real eye opener for those of us that have no experience with the brutality of war .it also shows how those that govern can get so far out of touch with those they govern .thanks for posting as i took the time to watch it all .i had a couple of uncles that fought in the war and lived to tell about it . they did give me some insight into the horrors that they witnessed .

The heroes of Stalingrad were the Russian peasant soldiers who beat the Germans house-to-house despite almost non-existent training and having a commissar behind you ready to shoot you if you doubted your orders for a second. Those guys had it worse than anyone else.

The Russian vets deserve all the praise in the world. Stalin on the other hand has a special place in hell reserved for him, likely the next cell besides Hitler. If the citizens of Volvograd want to commemorate the battle they would name it the equivalent of victory city - or something similar. I am sure it would sound keen in Russian.
    Last edited by sledge; 02-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    UNPROFOR 94/95, SFOR 2001
    Member of the CCFR and CPC.
    If you are not donating $20/month to the CPC then you are not serious about owning and keeping your guns.

Expired Business Member
    You guys know 12 hero cities of Russia. All of them read below

Hero City (Russian: город-герой, gorod-geroy, Ukrainian: місто-герой, misto-heroy, Belarusian: горад-герой, horad-heroy) is a Soviet honorary title awarded for outstanding heroism during World War II (known in the Soviet Union as The Great Patriotic War). It was awarded to twelve cities of the Soviet Union. In addition the Brest Fortress was awarded an equivalent title of Hero Fortress. This symbolic distinction for a city corresponds to the individual distinction Hero of the Soviet Union.

According to the statute, the hero city is issued the Order of Lenin, the Gold Star medal, and the certificate of the heroic deed (gramota) from the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. Also, the corresponding obelisk is installed in the city.

2 Brest Fortress
    3 Leningrad (Saint Petersburg)
    4 Stalingrad (Volgograd)
    5 Оdessa
    6 Sevastopol
    7 Moscow
    8 Kiev
    9 Novorossiysk
    10 Kerch
    11 Minsk
    12 Tula
    13 Murmansk
    14 Smolensk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...e_Soviet_Union

Города-герои
    № Страна Город-герой Дата присвоения звания
    1 Flag of Russia.svg Россия Ленинград (ныне Санкт-Петербург) 8 мая 1965 года
    2 Flag of Ukraine.svg Украина Одесса 8 мая 1965 года
    3 Flag of Ukraine.svg Украина Севастополь 8 мая 1965 года
    4 Flag of Russia.svg Россия Волгоград (бывш. Сталинград) 8 мая 1965 года
    5 Flag of Ukraine.svg Украина Киев 8 мая 1965 года
    6 Flag of Belarus.svg Белоруссия Брестская крепость (крепость-герой) 8 мая 1965 года[5]
    7 Flag of Russia.svg Россия Москва 8 мая 1965 года
    8 Flag of Ukraine.svg Украина Керчь 14 сентября 1973 года
    9 Flag of Russia.svg Россия Новороссийск 14 сентября 1973 года
    10 Flag of Belarus.svg Белоруссия Минск 26 июня 1974 года
    11 Flag of Russia.svg Россия Тула 7 декабря 1976 года
    12 Flag of Russia.svg Россия Мурманск 6 мая 1985 года
    13 Flag of Russia.svg Россия Смоленск 6 мая 1985 года

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    The heroes of Stalingrad were the Russian peasant soldiers who beat the Germans house-to-house despite almost non-existent training and having a commissar behind you ready to shoot you if you doubted your orders for a second. Those guys had it worse than anyone else.

The Russian vets deserve all the praise in the world. Stalin on the other hand has a special place in hell reserved for him, likely the next cell besides Hitler. If the citizens of Volvograd want to commemorate the battle they would name it the equivalent of victory city - or something similar. I am sure it would sound keen in Russian.
    Last edited by westrifle_sks; 02-25-2013 at 12:46 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    The bravest thing was when Zukov delayed operation Uranus because no-one had their act together. A couple of days later it worked, and the 6th Army were toast.
    That and the Tatsinskaya tank raid on the airfield. Brave to suggest such an operation and much as execute it.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456