M14, M305, M1A magazines neutering method

hi aikinut , I am about to get my "e" and "b" endorsement on my FAL , so I can use 30 round mags in an ar15 and 20 or 30 round mags in my m14 .... "A" cat rules are quite strict ... once my "e" is approved , I can do quite a bit .... "b" is for my pistols , .

remember the firearms are allowed in the country , if they stay "a" cat then the need a few easy changes .... its the mag capacity (and pistol grips etc ) that make it a restricted weapon , . I just need an endorsement and then I can have it ... yay for me !!!!

Stumpy-kiwi, as soon as you figure out an import permit, send me a PM.

I'll also check the ITAR conditions on anything US built that's currently in Canada. That said, anything Norinco, is definitely fair game to export to NZ.

I found a deal online for M14 mags (maybe why it was such a deal) for about $20 per 20/5 mag online. I picked up a bunch, and they will JUST fit the 5th round. This means that the mag will fit in on a closed bolt, with some convincing. If I insert a full mag with 5 rounds in it, I cant even pull the bolt back, it is totally jammed due to the pressure from the rounds in the mag; I cant even insert a full mag with an open bolt and drop the open bolt to pick up that fifth round. I'm stuck down loading to 4 for them to function. I have an actual 5 rounder that I can JUST get a 6th into, same thing. The rifle wont run it with the 6th. Would it be legal to drill out the little indents they made that stops the follower at EXACTLY 5 rounds (but prevents the rifle from operating with 5 rounds) and redo them at the same depth as the actual 5 rounder, using a rivet to stop the follower?

Would it be legal to drill out the little indents they made that stops the follower at EXACTLY 5 rounds (but prevents the rifle from operating with 5 rounds) and redo them at the same depth as the actual 5 rounder, using a rivet to stop the follower?
It's illegal to convert the mag to full capacity, which is what you would do if you were to drill out the spot. But, if you put in a rivet and convert that full capacity mag to 5.5 rounds it's legal again. What I'm saying is, if you do it, do both operations in the same night, to minimize police showing up and finding full capacity magazines.
If they did by chance storm your property at the exact moment you were drilling out the spot you would be in ####, you might want the pop rivets and gun close by to show that you you were intending to limit them again. A full capacity magazine is a prohibited device, I believe the minimum sentence for construction of a prohibited device is three (3) years. Don't you just love this wonderful country? :d

CTC Supplies has the E-Lander 10 round .308 M10 mags for around 80 bucks. My M305 was sold to me with one and it's pretty awesome if you get a bunch of those if anyone cares to check them out.

Anybody have riveted mags? I just wanted to know where they put the rivet, how far from the top, what side of the mag ect.. (Save me a whack of time trying to figure out the ideal spot for the pop rivet in mine...lol)

I figure the safest way will be to drill the rivet hole, install the rivet, then drill out the old "pinning". That way the mags are never actually capable of 6 or more rounds..lol

Great find on those AIA M-10 mags, I might have to look into those. Suxz that they don't have any AIA mags in full size pinned to 10, (or full 20 round'rs stamped AIA)

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

ANNND I am now watching ghost busters, Bill effin" Murray!

They should edit that page to read permanently blocked to FIVE rounds.

They are not. This is a 100% legal way to enjoy 10 rounds in a semi automatic rifle. The magazines are designed for the AIA M10 Australian bolt action rifle, which is a Lee Enfield type in 7.62x51 NATO. They just happen to fit M14/M305/M1A.

The legal use of these 10 round magazines in semiauto rifles are supported by these regulations:

1.http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-462/FullText.html
(2) Paragraph (1)(a) does not include any cartridge magazine [as a prohibited device] that
(a) was originally designed or manufactured for use in a firearm that
(i) is chambered for, or designed to use, rimfire cartridges,
(ii) is a rifle of the type commonly known as the “Lee Enfield” rifle, where the magazine is capable of containing not more than 10 cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed, or
(iii) is commonly known as the U.S. Rifle M1 (Garand) including the Beretta M1 Garand rifle, the Breda M1 Garand rifle and the Springfield Armoury M1 Garand rifle;
2.http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm
4. Magazines designed for one firearm but used in a different firearm

The maximum permitted capacity of a magazine is determined by the kind of firearm it is designed or manufactured for use in and not the kind of firearm it might actually be used in. As a consequence, the maximum permitted capacity remains the same regardless of which firearm it might be used in.

Example:
The Marlin model 45 (Camp Carbine) rifle chambered for 45 Auto caliber uses magazines designed and manufactured for the Colt 1911 handgun, therefore the seven round and eight round capacities are permitted.
You might want to print these two documents and carry them along with your rifle and your 10 round magazines in case of having to explain the situation to an officer.

Oh, I know about AIA magazines. Perhaps I didn't give enough context;
, and I quote....
We have a somewhat unique situation here. The magazines that fit and work in the 7.62 NATO AIA rifles will fit and work in any of the M14 type rifles. These mags are not M14 mags as they do not have the square hole in the front for the end of the M14 operating spring guide to fit into. This hole is not required in these mags for them to fit an M14 type rifle. It has been correctly pointed out that to make that hole in these mags could put you into the position of possessing a prohibited device, unless you permanently blocked them to a ten rd capacity.

Should read as five round,not ten.
Eh?

you can literally use a block of wood under the magazine follower to cap magazines.

Why do people rivet or weld magazines? it's a totally unnecessary destructive molestation of the thing.

Because a block of wood under the follower would not meet the criteria of 'permanently' modified to 5 rounds. Riveting is considered a permanent modification as you would have to remove it via mechanical means, not just disassemble the magazine.

Yesterday I stopped by International Shooting Supplies and found that they had a bin full of new Norinco M14 20/5 magazines. No welds on the floorplate and no rivets nor crimps. These are my favorite kind; the ones that do the limiting with a long metal strip spot welded to the bottom of the follower. Easy to completely disassemble. I bought one for $39.99 + tax.

Back
Top Bottom