Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: M14, M305, M1A magazines neutering method

Quick question about magazines capped by method of rod welded onto the follower. If you have a 20 round M14 magazine box with a rod on the follower restricting it to 5, and a 5 round magazine box with a normal follower............ it seems like a prohibited device is almost asking to be made by simply swapping the followers. My friends M14 from Marstar purchased 8 years ago had 5 and 20 round magazines that could, through parts (follower) interchange, be remade into a prohibited device.

What happens when you disassemble all the magazines (the 20 and 5 rounders) for cleaning and the parts can be readily remade into a prohibited device? Are you in technical possession of a prohibited device at this point? Taking into account the 2011 R v. Cancade decision, it might appear so and you might be in some hot water if police walked in on you.
    Last edited by Wildbore; 12-24-2015 at 04:51 AM.
    CPC, CSSA

The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. — John Stuart Mill

its my understanding that when disassembled they are merely parts. When you assemble the mag then it becomes prohibited. That's what I was told by a collector.

Expired Business
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Rigpig View Post
    its my understanding that when disassembled they are merely parts. When you assemble the mag then it becomes prohibited. That's what I was told by a collector.
    Take a moment to read the law on this.... There has been a court decision sometime ago.... The mag body is considered "the magazine"

John

I will do that. Thanks for the heads up.
    Better to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission

That case may have been about importing unaltered mag bodies separate from the other parts with the intention of pinning them once in Canada. It was ruled the bodies were in fact prohibited, as they were intended to be assembled in Canada.

I also have two 5/20 round mags that as well have a follower stopper welded to it, the bottom plate is spot welded and is not removable....can't remember where I got them from.

Expired Business
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer8321 View Post
    I also have two 5/20 round mags that as well have a follower stopper welded to it, the bottom plate is spot welded and is not removable....can't remember where I got them from.
    NOT from Marstar
    John

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456