Question about Practicle exam

But someone else may be searching.

Should be one at a time. In my case we needed to pack for transport and the license was tucked in on the table. I assumed it would be in my wallet! ;) lost a few points.

Legitimately not everyone passes. This should be treated seriously.

it will depend on the room and the instructor

When I did it he took guys one at a time to the next room while everybody else was writing the paper exam

Back you go to finish writing when he took the next guy

muzzle control, finger off the trigger....

A co-worker recently got his. Said the class was packed, hotel conference room. 28 people. He did his practical in front of everyone.

When I did mine several years ago the class size was about 16. Your were in the room with 2 instructors and the rest of the class was kicked out so they couldn’t see the test procedure

When I did my original PAL course a couple of decades ago, it was during the weekend and there was about 16 people in the class. For the practical, it was a fairly large room and the instructor took each student when it was their turn to the far end of the room where the long guns were laid out on the table and did the practical individually, calling each student when it was their turn. The rest of the students mingled at their desks, and few were chit chatting, as no doubt they were trying to catch a sneak peek of what was going on with each student's practical.

I just did my restricted course this past August, it was a weeknight and there were only 5 or so students there. In this case, the meeting room was VERY small and the instructor sent us all out to the lobby to wait while one student at a time was called in to do their practical. Once they were done, the instructor sent them out to the parking lot to go home (it was like 10:30 at night by this time) and then called in the next student. I would almost prefer it this way as you are one-on-one with the instructor, can take your time and not worry about others trying to watch what you are doing, etc. - and no one knows which guns the instructor will pick to use or what specifically he/she will ask the students to demonstrate ahead of time.

When I did mine it was 1 on 1 for the practical.

The instructor specifically said there would be no trick questions or procedures. As everyone said before finger away from triggers and muzzle placement were key things. The rest was as advertised in our initial pre practical intro and walk through

It's supposed to be a one on one exam ... no spectators as it would give an advantage to any students who have not been tested.
No tricks, everyone gets exactly the same questions.

Say what your doing as your doing it so the examiner knows.
I refused to point the gun at me and look down the barrel.
That was a lot of years ago, passed with no issues.

A friend of mine is a PAL instructor/examiner.

He had a student taking the exam for his restricted and told the guy to pick up a handgun and the guy did and then swung it around so that it was pointed at him.

"What do I do now?" the student asked.

"You go home," the examiner said.

Automatic fail. Remember that.

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone. Good point about being to busy focusing on the acts & proves to be worrying about who is watching. I just get really nervous when I'm in the spotlight and can see me doing something stupid because of it.

So what if people (i.e. other shooters, a range officer, etc) are watching you at the range? You need to be proficient enough with a firearm to not do something stupid in every scenario. That's the whole point of demonstrating proficiency. This isn't like making a spelling mistake, people's lives are potentially on the line.

You're not expected to be an expert right off the bat, but there just isn't really a learning curve when it comes to firearm safety. I'd say concentrate on the absolute basics (Muzzle direction, primarily) and make sure you at least get that right.

Edit: Ah jeez, I didn't realize this was an 11 year old necro post. Probably safe to assume the OP knows what he's doing by now lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom