Thread: Newbie looking to tacticoolize/turn norinco m14/sks into better rifle

Newbie looking to tacticoolize/turn norinco m14/sks into better rifle

New to forums and having trouble finding firearms/accessories that aren't on backorder/sold out. looking for stocks, rails or scope bases for Norinco m14 or sks.

Also posting for access to equipment exchange.

Why not just go for a bolt action!

Welcome to the forum!

Mads

CGN frequent flyer Sadosubliminal's Avatar
    Both firearms you mention have a host of aftermarket products designed at making them weigh a lot more. Some of them actually improve functionality or ergonomics, many are just for looks. The M14, however, enjoys a much more robust aftermarket than the SKS and there are a lot of genuine upgrades you can do to make the rifle more reliable, more accurate, and more precise. The SKS is not precise rifle, and it will never be one. It is a lot of fun, it's cheap, and you can "bubba" the crap out of it it out if you want. I did.

Check out the respective forums for these rifles. There is a lot of information here. Please read before asking, as the question may have been answered a thousand times before.
    You like Loud, Ugly Metal? We do it up right: http://www.deadairrepublic.com

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    In particular, search for some posts by Hungry, he is a resident M14/M305 expert and has helped many people fine-tune their rifles. There's lots of information down in the Main Battle Rifle subforum.

Welcome to the club!
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

I'm in the same boat. New to the forum, looking for a good mid-distance rifle project. I'm on the hunt for a Norinco M14 to start. Maybe an Archangel stock, rail, scope, bipod, etc. I own an SKS and you are correct Sadosubliminal. Fun for messing around with but is NOT an accurate rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TRaTSeRiF's Avatar
    Any adjustable aftermarket stock will IMMENSELY improve the SKS ergos. May add a bit more weight, but at least it won't be designed for 5'4" underfed, stunted Russian peons (at the time, Communism was fairly fresh so they barely got started on the road of recovery from feudalism and then got attacked by the Nazis, so the average Joe [or Ivan] couldn't count on 3 square). Crapco seems to be sturdier than ATI and would be my #1 choice. A cheaper and less disruptive option would be to go with a "recoil pad" that will extend the length of the stock by 1" or 2" (Hical carries both iirc)

Next on the priority list should be sights... Considering it's a 5-6MOA rifle, you should either go with a Tech peep (100 is good enough) for $80ish or go with a solid receiver mount like the one from Choate for $80ish (HiCal carries both, they're a site sponsor and Dave offers GREAT service) and put a red dot on it.

Finally, there are some DIY mods in the Red Rifles forum that will improve your trigger (mostly by polishing the sear/rails and either replacing or modifying the springs). You can also buy Wolff springs for it in the $15ish range iirc

If you're STILL not satisfied with the accuracy you're getting out of it, you can always epoxy-bed the stock. I haven't done it, but might just because I like to tinker.
    A penny found is worth more than a penny earned, because a penny earned is taxed.