New Back Stop

Definately interested in this!! Targets 10 mins away whereas Silverdale is way out there for me. Even still a rifle at 25 yards isnt exactly stretching its legs so to speak! Id like to see Target will some 50 yard ranges but thats quite a bit more involved then simply reinforcing the backstop :(

Yes to that. Aurora is also 25 yrds unless you can go to Sharon. So the best spot at the moment is Target.

I am currently working on a funding plan to completely renovate Target Sports. However, keep in mind this is over a $1,000,000 project.

On this note; I am getting quotes and formulating the plan with the hopes of getting it completed this year. However, it may be delayed until the spring if the pieces do not come together before the snow falls.

As more info is available, it will be released. However, do not hold your breath thinking you will be able to shoot .50BMG in my ranges.

Cheers,

JR

Who the hell would want to shoot a 50BMG at 25 metres????

Upgrading the backstop so regular rifle ammo (ie non frang) that could be shot is defitnely be a no brainer for me to renew my membership there, hell, I'd probably buy ALL my 223 directly from TS by the case load if I could shoot it there. I would also imagine the sks guys would love this too.

JR - What are the chances the range hours could be extended an hour at night? 9pm is good but 10pm is even better :)

Thanks for considering the back stop replacement, a million bucks is a tough pill to swallow I'm sure.

Probably can't make the member meeting but I hope someone definitely brings up the topic of the new backstop. Also, I think the club needs a new guy to exclusively handle communications. Emails, phones and gunnutz response time is the slowest I've ever seen.

@FMP

Never EVER underestimate a gun nut with deep pockets is what I learned around here.

Probably can't make the member meeting but I hope someone definitely brings up the topic of the new backstop. Also, I think the club needs a new guy to exclusively handle communications. Emails, phones and gunnutz response time is the slowest I've ever seen.

@FMP

Never EVER underestimate a gun nut with deep pockets is what I learned around here.

Have never had an issue getting a response to any questions by phone. Email can take a day or so.

@FMP

We have no control over the Grange club. IF there are issues, please contact the president, as he is a great guy.

JR

JR - What are the chances the range hours could be extended an hour at night? 9pm is good but 10pm is even better :)

Thanks for considering the back stop replacement, a million bucks is a tough pill to swallow I'm sure.

Given how hard it is to staff now, extending the hours is not currently in the cards.

JR

Given how hard it is to staff now, extending the hours is not currently in the cards.

JR

Fair enough.

Ive been to a few ranges in ontario and the states and I noticed the width of lanes at TS are quite wide / large, perhaps if you shortened the width, you could squeeze another lane in each range?

More lanes = more happy happy happy shooters

as cool as it would be to have a better back stop, it would be even better to have working lanes (target holders are routinely broken/not working) and gun benches that don't fall when you put your nice guns on them. i've had them fall twice with one time damaging the sights on my 586, however they promptly replaced it free of charge.

they need to focus less on walk in's and more on members who pay $600's a year.... but i could live with it a longer if it means more money into the club to fix the back stop and crap ventilation system.

I think the walk in should use range B, few of them not very safe

as cool as it would be to have a better back stop, it would be even better to have working lanes (target holders are routinely broken/not working) and gun benches that don't fall when you put your nice guns on them. i've had them fall twice with one time damaging the sights on my 586, however they promptly replaced it free of charge.

they need to focus less on walk in's and more on members who pay $600's a year.... but i could live with it a longer if it means more money into the club to fix the back stop and crap ventilation system.

I think members should not be so quick to judge the walk ins on safety issues. So far at TS, the only NDs experienced and most of the serious muzzle control concerns in the bays recorded are the result of LICENSED members and their guests.

We are working at resolving some of the issues. However, there is no firm timelines at this point.

JR

I think members should not be so quick to judge the walk ins on safety issues. So far at TS, the only NDs experienced and most of the serious muzzle control concerns in the bays recorded are the result of LICENSED members and their guests.

We are working at resolving some of the issues. However, there is no firm timelines at this point.

JR

I'll have to agree with JR for this one. I've seen so many member's with their guests breaking so many safety regulations. Heck someone was letting his friends shoot "gangsta-style" over the weekend.

I think the walk in should use range B, few of them not very safe

Over the long weekend I had to use range B because range A was full. It felt like range B seemed to have the better lighting and air circulation than range A. Maybe I got in time when they just changed the filters?

IT is also very expensive and not worth buying. $2 a bullet.

Wow! That's crazy! Talk about a major ammo monopoly for this business making big profits of only forcefully buying their frangible ammos to only shoot at their own range, plus high membership fees and daily visitor passes.

2000 rds yearly avg x $2 avg per rd =$4000
monthly day pass $160 avg x 12 months = $1920
yearly membership = $655

YIKES!! Based on logical thinking, you might as well join a better range at Sharon Gun Club nearby with similar price range (of course a share is required, but can easily resell it to get your money back) and using your own cheaper ammo. Another alternative is Silverdale that are way cheaper, but I know distance is a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Wow! That's crazy! Talk about a major ammo monopoly for this business making big profits of only forcefully buying their frangible ammos to only shoot at their own range, plus high membership fees and daily visitor passes.

2000 rds yearly avg x $2 avg per rd =$4000
monthly day pass $160 avg x 12 months = $1920
yearly membership = $655

YIKES!! Based on logical thinking, you might as well join a better range at Sharon Gun Club nearby with similar price range (of course a share is required, but can easily resell it to get your money back) and using your own cheaper ammo. Another alternative is Silverdale that are way cheaper, but I know distance is a disadvantage.

The major complaint seems to be in regards to our frangible pricing and use.

Let me be clear about this: Target Sports was built as a PISTOL range and was approved by the CFO for use as such. As a courtesy to our clients, we worked on the CFO and after about 2 years, finally got approval to use frangible ammunition in controlled circumstances. The CFO stated that we had to pre-test the ammo and only let people use ammunition that we have informed the CFO we would be using and provided.

Most of the membership have no use for or desire to use frangible and we are not forcing them to do so. In my opinion, this should have no bearing on whether or not we are a good range. If you are looking for a dedicated rifle range, we are not the place for you. However if you occasionally want to shoot your rifle indoors, for a cost, it is available.

Back
Top Bottom