Thread: Acquisition of Blank ammunition: PAL/POL needed?

Question Acquisition of Blank ammunition: PAL/POL needed?

Hi, I have subscribed to this forum to search for an answer about this, after failing finding the answer on the RCMP sites.
    A quick intro:
    I'm not (yet?) really a "CGN", have no PAL or POL, even if the though occurred to me in the past, maybe I'll get to it at some point, but that's another story.

Long story short, I'm an airsoft player (I get to actually shoot at people, and get shot back safely, isn't that nice? ), and there's a kind of simulation grenade on the market that make use of 9mm blanks.

So the obvious question comes to mind: How are these legal/illegal in Canada considering the fact that they use these kind of "ammo". And if they can be considered legal, does the acquisition of blank rounds requires some license?

I couldn't find this information, nor the definition of "ammunition" or "blanks" on the RCMP's site. Maybe someone could point me in the correct direction?

Thank you for your help!

You do not need a p.a.l. For blanks.... You do need to be over 16 though.

Quote Originally Posted by A.moore View Post
    You do not need a p.a.l. For blanks.... You do need to be over 16 though.
    Thank you for the quick answer!
    Would you have, by chance, any link that would support this?

This is a good news though; Now we'll have to check if the device itself can be imported at all

Thanks again

A google search for 'Canada criminal code ammunition' would lead you to the definition in the criminal code:

“ammunition” means a cartridge containing a projectile designed to be discharged from a firearm and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a caseless cartridge and a shot shell;

http://yourlaws.ca/criminal-code-can...nitions-%C2%BB
    EOSC.ca

CGN Regular
    I think the difficulty to finding the answer with the RCMP, or in the criminal code in general, is that cartridges and explosives are largely not regulated by the criminal code or the various firearms legislation. It is Industry Canada and/or Natural Resources Canada that regulate ammunition, cartridges (called safety cartridges because they are safer than handling loose powder), and explosives. It is also there where one will find the limit of ammo (more specifically explosives, divided among the total powder volume of all loaded cartridges) one can have without a permit and/or special storage conditions.