Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conversion Cylinders for ROA?

Expired Business
    ERN_895;
    It only stands to reason that one may be courting disaster when going that route....
    The black powder revolvers are proofed for a much lower operating range than their smokeless cousins....
    The use of smokeless cartridges in these revolvers means you would be operating at almost double the rated pressure for these revolvers....
    That is why all reputable manufacturers of black powder revolvers clearly mark them "for use with black powder only"

John

Contact CGN member rustywoodtc He is CGN dealer and smithy
    He imported two for me no problem and installed them while tuning the actions. Awesome work.
    Horsheet, Effluent Agitation Engineer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsheet View Post
    He imported two for me no problem and installed them while tuning the actions. Awesome work.
    Are you talking about converting an old original BP revolver ?
    Or are you talking about what this thread was started for the Ruger Old Army cartridge conversion cylinder ?
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

I was talking converting an original BP gun . Is there a reason you couldn't reload the .45 ACP with black powder to remain within reasonable pressures ? I'm only looking at a convenience thing were I could reload at home and not have to be taking so much time at the range loading . OH by the way I like to use my guns regardless . If I can't use it I don't want it . No safe queens here !!

Expired Business
    ern_895;

I agree one could load to whatever specs you desire
    HOWEVER, please understand that once you put something like that on the market somebody out there is going to load factory ammo in the revolver and get the bang of his life....
    John

I agree the old lets try this routine . This would be a for me by me project . I've already fired a new reproduction barrel on it and yesterday for the first time that I can recollect from six rounds between my son and I one of us actually got a bull's-eye . This old gun will likely never leave my possession and never be used unless I'm there and I've loaded the rounds . So now I ask what is the general consensus . This is definitely not something a dlr should advise because of the liability issue . I like old guns and I like them to function . To me there is no more thrill than to use a weapon that has so much history . To me that is more about preserving the history than leaving it dirty and rusty in the safe !! Opinions expressed are my own and may vary !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsheet View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ern_895 View Post
    I was talking converting an original BP gun . Is there a reason you couldn't reload the .45 ACP with black powder to remain within reasonable pressures ? I'm only looking at a convenience thing were I could reload at home and not have to be taking so much time at the range loading . OH by the way I like to use my guns regardless . If I can't use it I don't want it . No safe queens here !!
    I was referring to "Horsheet" post . & referring to the OP post about the Ruger Old Army black powder revolver that can more than handle modern 45 ACP & 45 long Colt.
    Cartridge conversion cylinders are available for them in the US.
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12