Thread: Thread "reload" I'm sure, but newbie help required

Thread "reload" I'm sure, but newbie help required

Hi All,

Although I'm not a "freshman" newbie, the kinda shooting I was use to has now ceased! Please allow me to explain.

So I have been around firearms for 30 years (with breaks) when I started with Side by Side and Under/over shotguns at my friends dads skeet range back home in the UK. Although I never owned a shotgun as I was 14, I do recall having much fun at the range.

My next encounter with firearms was in 1989 when I joined the British Army. From Sub-machine guns, SLR to the SA-80 and finally the browning 9mm service pistol.

My question are below based on the shooting I wish to take up at my local club.

Type of shooting: Build up accuracy and have fun

1) What type of shooting does Canada have to offer? I'm not too serious about competition shooting but would like to appreciate the options.

2) What are the pros/cons between 9mm and say .40

3) What reccomendations can you guys offer for a low maint handgun based on my experience and type of shooting I have expressed. I really like the CZ 75 SP01 accu-shadow.

Thanks for looking and adding your piece.

BTW - NOT A GLOCK FAN

:)
    Last edited by lemonsorbie; 03-31-2013 at 09:26 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TRaTSeRiF's Avatar
    Welcome aboard and welcome to Canada You seem to be handgun-oriented so I'll keep it there.

1) Everything not involving full auto fire.. So from bullseye pistol and silhouette (you need a .22lr target pistol for either of the 2), to action shooting like IPSC, IDPA and PPC. You just gotta deal with the 10rd mag limits. Lots of rifle stuff, from bullseye, to 3 gun events, to precision marksmanship events.

2) 9mm is cheap, less recoil. .40 will cost a bit more even if you reload, more recoil, but usually gives you more of a power factor for some action shooting events (ask in the appropriate forum)

3) Can't go wrong with the Shadow. It was one of the 3 recommended to me by one of the top IPSC guys in Canada (the distant seconds being the M&P and Glock). Tried all 3 and really the Shadow felt the best.. They have some Shadow-based Tanfoglios out there too. Best bet is to hit the range and ask the guys who shoot one of your options to try out their toys.
    A penny found is worth more than a penny earned, because a penny earned is taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by TRaTSeRiF View Post
    Welcome aboard and welcome to Canada You seem to be handgun-oriented so I'll keep it there.

1) Everything not involving full auto fire.. So from bullseye pistol and silhouette (you need a .22lr target pistol for either of the 2), to action shooting like IPSC, IDPA and PPC. You just gotta deal with the 10rd mag limits. Lots of rifle stuff, from bullseye, to 3 gun events, to precision marksmanship events.

2) 9mm is cheap, less recoil. .40 will cost a bit more even if you reload, more recoil, but usually gives you more of a power factor for some action shooting events (ask in the appropriate forum)

3) Can't go wrong with the Shadow. It was one of the 3 recommended to me by one of the top IPSC guys in Canada (the distant seconds being the M&P and Glock). Tried all 3 and really the Shadow felt the best.. They have some Shadow-based Tanfoglios out there too. Best bet is to hit the range and ask the guys who shoot one of your options to try out their toys.
    Superbe reply, thank you.

If only we could try n buy! I have lots more reading to do but I will be paying my LGC a visit very soon. I'm just awaiting an email back from the club.

Thanks again.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TRaTSeRiF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonsorbie View Post
    Superbe reply, thank you.

If only we could try n buy! I have lots more reading to do but I will be paying my LGC a visit very soon. I'm just awaiting an email back from the club.

Thanks again.
    As I said.. At any range, you just ambush the IPSC crew and I'm sure you'll find all of the usual suspects.. I'm also sure the guys will be more than happy to allow you to test their toys. At least it's true here in Ontario and they keep saying how Alfa-Bravo is a lot friendlier
    A penny found is worth more than a penny earned, because a penny earned is taxed.