Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 122224252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Possible CZ 858 reclassification?

So is this being reclassified or is this just 31 pages of rumors? I skimmed the thread but couldn't find anything concrete.
    “You know what they say ‘Fool me once, strike one, but fool me twice… strike three.’”

I would say rumors. I bought my 858 in 2009. I was reluctant at the time because there was a post on a forum saying that the CZ858 was 'imminently' going to be re-classified. Well, I have made it to 2013 without the evil Government breaking down my door to steal my rifle. While there may be a shipment that has been held, I highly doubt there will be an across-the-board re-classification of all 858s.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
    So is this being reclassified or is this just 31 pages of rumors? I skimmed the thread but couldn't find anything concrete.
    Just a pile of phoney baloney rumours. There is absolutely no evidence, not a single solitary shred to suggest that the CZ-858 is being reclassified. Indeed, the RCMP have confirmed that no such review is taking place. The one and only way that the RCMP could reclassify the CZ-858 would be if they could provide that it was :1) A converted auto - and the manufacturer confirmed them it is not when the were first imported. 2) That it is easily convertible to full auto - it can't be converted because the receiver will not accept FA parts.

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    this thread should be locked
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    There is absolutely no evidence, not a single solitary shred to suggest that the CZ-858 is being reclassified. Indeed, the RCMP have confirmed that no such review is taking place.
    I remember fairly recently seeing a Sun News Network show that they had spoken to the RCMP on the issue, and their response to the network was that the entire family of VZ58 rifles was under review. Am I misinformed?
    Last edited by jacob.22; 06-21-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Have you hugged your Pit-Bull today?

Check out this article. It's old but says it all: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...3-949dfa54917a

I would like to highlight a key point made in the article. "According to the RCMP, the gun is not a member of the AK-47 family.

"It's too different mechanically for us to consider it an AK," said Murray Smith, who manages the RCMP unit that classifies firearms. "There has to be some kind of family lineage dating back to the AK and that simply doesn't exist for the VZ."

Quote Originally Posted by jacob.22 View Post
    I remember fairly recently seeing a Sun News Network show that they had spoken to the RCMP on the issue, and their response to the network was that the entire family of VZ58 rifles was under review. Am I misinformed?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob.22 View Post
    You are indeed. Faith Goldy of Sun Media spoke to the RCMP and was told - as posted here - that the one and only firearm under review is the Swiss Arms.

CGN Regular
    Don't think anyone else has said it yet, so I registered to ask if anyone else has heard this as well.

I called the CFC Firearms Technical department, on two days this week, after I heard about the rumored reclassification. They confirmed, according to them, that the CZ's were indeed under review for reclassification, but would have no information available until the RCMP issued their final verdict.

After contacting several dealers, I was told, that the most likely result will be issuing Restricted-Class to all versions of the rifle. Too many have been sold to hope to ever track them all down, if declared prohibited.

Sorry if this is misinformation or unneeded, but I'm concerned too, and just want to know what's going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost Cracked View Post
    Don't think anyone else has said it yet, so I registered to ask if anyone else has heard this as well.

I called the CFC Firearms Technical department, on two days this week, after I heard about the rumored reclassification. They confirmed, according to them, that the CZ's were indeed under review for reclassification, but would have no information available until the RCMP issued their final verdict.

After contacting several dealers, I was told, that the most likely result will be issuing Restricted-Class to all versions of the rifle. Too many have been sold to hope to ever track them all down, if declared prohibited.

Sorry if this is misinformation or unneeded, but I'm concerned too, and just want to know what's going on...
    Sniff sniff........Smell like BS to me.
    People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them.
    Eric Hoffer

Super Moderator
    It would take an OiC to reclassify them as restricted - and the RCMP cannot do that.
    They can be reclassified as prohibited, if it is established that they qualify as converted autos. Or if they were easily converted to full auto, within the guidelines established in the SCoC Hasselwander decision.