Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: Any update on the MPAR 556?

Hi all,

I have been watching the net for reviews of the MPAR 556. This is the first one I found. The shooter seemed to be suffering extraction problems. We will see if this is just a problem with his specific rifle once there are more reviews.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1564692

Quote Originally Posted by 99Zeus99
    Just thought I would throw up a quick bit of info about the Masterpiece Arms MPAR 556 I just received today. I haven't had a chance to range test it or get quality pics but hopefully soon, since there isn't much on the net about this rifle yet. The backwards safety selector that people were critical of since SHOT Show has been changed to the standard AR operation. I don't know if it was ever really an issue or just labeled wrong in the pictures. The side folding stock had been modified so when it folds to the right, the weapon can still be fired.
    - Initial impressions-
    Pros-
    The first thing I noticed is the rifle is very well balanced. It seems to be less front heavy than the SIG 556, actually feels quite light.
    Secondly, the bolt operation is extremely smooth. Not like and AK at all, more like the feel of a Ruger 10/22, but longer travel.
    Trigger pull and reset is very similar to the AR.

Cons-
    No bolt hold open on empty mag (some people hate this)
    Mag has excessive forward/aft and lateral play. This will irritate some people who like a nice tight mag lockup.
    1/9 twist barrel (I had no problem with this as I will mostly shoot 55gr ammo)

Rifle comes in a hard case similar to the low end Plano cases, pretty decent for a freebie in my opinion. It comes with one USGI mag, with standard green follower, a six position stock made by Archangel (ProMag, not a fan), nice hand stop from Strike Industries, a fwd quick sling disconnect mount and small 1913 rail section. The barrel is apparently made by ER Shaw in PA, and the final machining and fitting done at Masterpiece Arms in GA. All in all, this gun feels like a well built, unique design that should be fun as hell to shoot. I'll try to get some better pics linked and follow up range report.

UPDATE: First time out today with the rifle, various 55gr FMJ ammo and various magazines.

Rifle shot very well, when it would feed ammo properly. I had failures to extract and doubles feeds with all types of mags and ammo. Ammo used was, Federal AE223 black box, Hornady 55gr 223, Prvi Partizan 5.56 blue box and Winchester 5.56 red/white/blue box. Mags used were Gen 2 PMAG, USGI aluminum (came with the gun), Mako E-Lander Stainless Steel USGI style and the new HK polymer mag (has worked flawlessely in all my AR's and SIG 556). I tried to remedy the issue by removing the bolt and lubricating it a little more but nothing changed. Must be an issue with the gas system. I will contact MA and see what they say.

A couple things of note, there seemed to be some trigger slap, similar to an AK when firing occasionally. The trigger has about 1/8 inch take up before a pretty decent break and very short reset. The E-Lander mag held the bolt open on the last shot. The follower in that mag seemed to extend up farther than the others holding the bolt back. Safety is similar to an AR but less tension. Groups were typical 1 inch at 50yrds with a Primary Arms red dot. Recoil was a little lighter than the AR system.
    I'll take it out again in a week or so to see if this cycling problem gets better or stays the same. I'll wait until it's a little warmer and see if that matters as well.
    If you go to the original post, it has links to pictures.

TTYL

- Jayne
    Mal: Jayne, how many weapons you plan on bringing? You only got the two arms.
    Jayne: I just get excitable as to choice - like to have my options open.

Revolted
    Thank you very much for posting this. We are patiently waiting to see more reviews in the near future. MasterPiece Arms has been working hard on the development of this rifle and if there are any issues I have no doubt that they will be very quick to solve any problems.

Cheers,
    Ryan
    Blue Line Team

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Hi all,

I have been watching the net for reviews of the MPAR 556. This is the first one I found. The shooter seemed to be suffering extraction problems. We will see if this is just a problem with his specific rifle once there are more reviews.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1564692

If you go to the original post, it has links to pictures.

TTYL

- Jayne

Oh I'm excited reading that!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    They look pretty good as pistols.

The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

what have u heard about the masterpiece arms 5.7 pistol?
    https://ericaswimmingdream.tilt.com/year1
    Hey CGNers. Here is your chance to crowed fund a future Olympic hopeful and current gun nut!! thanks for your help everyone

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011