Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: russian and chinese sks

Red face russian and chinese sks

what are the differences in the Russian and Chinese sks? does one have better quality over the other.

Honestly, You aren't going to see any major differences between the two.

IMO the Russian has a nicer wood used for the stock, Shiny bolt and nicer style bayonet.
    However these three features don't affect the guns performance is anyway.

Most Chinese SKS are unissued and have chrome barrels, Which can be nice.

Both are going to preform flawlessly and can handle the 7.62x39 easily.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    If you read both Stickies in the Red rifle forum you'll have a good idea. The Chinese SKS sticky, and the Russian SKS sticky.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Oh look, this thread. Again.

I would suggest using the search function in the red rifles form to find a ton of threads asking this very question - I know I've posted in at least five of them, so they're there.

Short and sweet: Chinese will be unissued. They will look a bit less shiny, but they will preform just as well (occasionally better) than the standard Russian refurb in terms of both accuracy and reliability. ALL Chinese ones will have chrome lined bores, while maybe 95% of the Russian ones will, as they didn't chrome the barrels until 1950, IIRC. This doesn't really matter as one should clean their rifle as soon as possible after shooting corrosive ammo anyway. For first time SKS buyers, I recommend the Chinese one. It's unissued, and you're the first person to use it. It's a great feeling, holding a piece of military history and being the first one to ever shoot it and clean it, being the first one to find out it's quirks and how it groups and what ammo it likes to eat. My first SKS, which was also the first rifle I ever bought, was a Chinese SKS from CanadaAmmo. It's gone through about 11 thousand rounds thus far, with only one malfunction. I would highly recommend CanAm and the Type 56 rifle.

After that, I recommend looking into Russian ones, as there's a whole other set of history there for you to enjoy. Russian's are more collectable, but I can see that changing in 10-15 years time when the Russians have all dried up and the Chinese ones are still around a bit more commonly.

Both will outlast you if you clean them. I however am not as sure that they will outlast this stale topic and the threads that come with it.
    Last edited by Andurp; 07-17-2013 at 01:48 AM.
    89AA04004

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Yukon1911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 458lott View Post
    what are the differences in the Russian and Chinese sks? does one have better quality over the other.
    The first and obvious difference is the Bayonet, Russian is a blade most of the time and the Chinese is a spike. This is most of the time as the some of the Russians came with a spike, but they are rare.

A buddy of mine and I have bought chinese and Russian and they both shoot great. We have since found unissued IZZY Russians that we like but my go to gun is a 1954 Tula, it really shoots nice and I got it at Canadian Tire! I really like this page for SKS information. It will point out more differences than you care to know.

http://yooperj.com/SKS.htm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    I own both Chinese and Russian SKS... Several, actually... Sure, Chinese are generally unissued, but I feel the Russians are far better construction... Let alone the history... Find yourself a nice Izzy, or 55/56 Tula, and call it a day!

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Eagle View Post
    I own both Chinese and Russian SKS... Several, actually... Sure, Chinese are generally unissued, but I feel the Russians are far better construction... Let alone the history... Find yourself a nice Izzy, or 55/56 Tula, and call it a day!
    x2

Once you feel the difference if a real Ruskie, there's no going back to Chinese. The fit & finish of the Chinese ones just feels substandard in comparison... however, the nicest made SKS's out there are probably the Yugo ones (if you can find one).
    Lesson from elections 2021 : The PPC's only REAL purpose is to split that razor-thin Conservative vote and re-elect Liberals!

i've got a russian (52 tula if memory serves me correctly), and i've shot the chinese, both shoot well, but the russian stocks are far better carved and shaped IMO, i've also heard the cream of the crop so to speak are the yugo ones.
    "And they are ignorant that the purpose of the sword is to save every man from slavery"
    lucanus 64 A.D.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    Get both. Chinese ones come as new Russian ones come used. The bayonet is the major difference.Neither is designed to accept scopes. I find the Chinese is more consistent to fire A tight group. The russian has a shiny bolt

They cost around the same so yeah. Get both

CGN Regular
    I have both and enjoy them both. I find the chinese a little lighter. Great inexpensive guns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast