.223 sks....

But you didn't answer my question. With your opinion towards the .270 Winchester, I'm interested to know what your opinion is on the 30-06. Or even the .35 Whelen or the .280 Remington.

I don't want an SKS in any of the above calibers, (.270, 30-06, .35 whelen, or .280 rem) hope that answers your question.

seriously though.....
I made an uneducated rookie mistake (spouting random/wrong dribble) and thought I had already cleared that up, to be honest I don't know much of anything on the above cartridges and their benefits/drawbacks for hunting, any of them will punch a hole in paper just fine i'm sure. (I don't hunt, thought that may have been obvious too)

Last edited:
I don't want an SKS in any of the above calibers, (.270, 30-06, .35 whelen, or .280 rem) hope that answers your question.

seriously though.....
I made an uneducated rookie mistake (spouting random/wrong dribble) and thought I had already cleared that up, to be honest I don't know much of anything on the above cartridges and their benefits/drawbacks for hunting, any of them will punch a hole in paper just fine i'm sure. (I don't hunt, thought that may have been obvious too)

And that is exactly why you don't know anything about the .270 Winchester and yet you know enough about it to form an opinion that you don't like it. Just because Joe Blow from Kokomo told you everyone and there dog has a .270 Winchester and he doesn't like it, doesn't mean you should go around repeating what Joe Blow said.

They already tried making one if I'm not mistaken it was converts but I guess they didn't work as well as the original go figure

30-06 SKS would be impossible with out building a whole new rifle from scratch. Longer action, bigger springs,probbably stronger all over period.

270 was made popular due to the fact they made better bullets for it from the begining. I never bought one due to the fact I never actually seen one for sale anywheres. I would use it for most anything if I had one.

In the nineties, I remember guys talking about .223 SKS rifles at gunshows. I've never seen one however.

If there were such a beast, it would probably do well with Norinco yellow box fodder.

Weren't all the Norinco commercial SKS's of questionable quality? (Not talking about the military surplus ones Marstar and others currently sell, they are near on par with the Russian). Even if they still have the tooling, I'm not sure I'd want a poorly built SKS clone. Although they did apparently work a small miracle with John's newest batch of M305's.

And the 270 is a great hunting cartridge. Let's see how the short mags and other recent miracle cartridges are doing in 70 years. Some of them are already fading away and the 270 was outselling them the whole time.

As others have stated, I'm perfectly happy burning through a case of cheap surplus for the time being.

The made for export sks i had was very questionable. The reciever and barrel was fine but the bolt carrier was a sloppy fit. Also the en of the op rod was crumbling from poor metals used. Id go for a decently made type 81

Have T97, Tavor, and Mossberg MVP varmint bolt gun. Have LAR pistol mags that work in all three. Got .223 covered, no need for .223 sks.

Have T97, Tavor, and Mossberg MVP varmint bolt gun. Have LAR pistol mags that work in all three. Got .223 covered, no need for .223 sks.
I was looking at the MVP. Do you recommend it? Can you shoot it standing just as comfortably as on bags or a rest?

I bought the MVP only 2 weeks ago and haven't got it to the range yet. (worked the last two weekends) The price was good (565$) and I liked the features, ar style dm mag, adjustable trigger, etc.
I added a scope but no bipod as of yet. It is a bit heavy for steady standing shots and I was going to use a bench rest/bags and or bipod for gophers.

ah........nagh

7.62 x 39 SKS military surplus makes them of historical significance and also inexpensive as they are obsolete for the worlds armies but great for deer

the 223 sks is none of these things

imo

who would want to pay more to have an inferior caliber?
its not like cheap port were great target shooting gun or hunting rifle...

if anything from the com block id like to see a cz858(read non restricted) in .223 instead of just the cz58(restricted by barrel length) I don't know of any imported but ive seen a few that had the restricted barrel changed for a non restricted length barrel

Back
Top Bottom