Thread: SA VZ.58/CZ.858 Drum Mag

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fireball's Avatar

SA VZ.58/CZ.858 Drum Mag

On your website the SA VZ.58/CZ.858 Drum Mag has the following listed in its description:

"This Mag will not fit CSA/Czech-point rifles (Sporter Model)"

I have a CSA VZ.58 Sporter and was unaware that there was a difference in mags.

Could somebody fill me in as to why this drum will not work in my rifle? or are the CSA/Czech-Point rifles/magwell different than the Canadian ones.
    NFA CSSA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 5440fight's Avatar
    Umm...They do fit. I haven't fired it, as they are a PITA to load, for 5 rounds, but they fit fine. I have a 18.5" cz-858, 7.5" csa vz58, and 11.8" csa vz58. All good.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

CGN frequent flyer Pistolwhiptricks's Avatar
    The CSA "Sporter" model is chambered in 5.56/.223. The CSA "Carbine" model is chambered in 7.62x39. Which one do you have?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fireball's Avatar
    I have a new production run CSA VZ.58 Sporter 19" barrel, 7.62x39

I've just been told by a friend via text that the new CSA's have more material in the magwell area and they will not fit. The older CSA's don't have any issue.
    NFA CSSA

Actually gentlemen, that disclaimer is specifically for US shooters buying the "California legal" Czech sporters.

Here's a great example of one from the very talented Caleb Giddings at Gun Nuts.net

The problem with sharing office space with a gun shop is that sometimes you do silly things. GunUp Gun Sales has had these VZ-58 Sporters in stock since the panic, and because it’s a 10-round gun with a thumbhole stock, haven’t been able to move them. So, I took one off their hands (there are still two left, btw) and now I have a VZ-58 Sporter. Obviously, the big difference between this and a “regular” VZ-58 is that this gun has only a 10 round magazine and cannot accept a 30 round mag without milling the receiver.

So perhaps I’ve been watching too much Strike Back (where they use SBR VZ-58s), but I think this rifle is cool as hell. It’s not perfect, and I need to figure out what to do with it. Quick list of features that I like and don’t like to help establish a plan. First, I don’t really care that it only takes 10 round magazines, at least for now. I can get the 10 rounders cheap, and I’m not going to be operating in any operations with this rifle, so milling the receiver is probably a last priority. The iron sights don’t actually suck too badly, with a fairly wide rear notch. Plus, mounting optics on AKs and VZ-58s suck. Now, the one thing I do loathe is the thumbhole stock. It’s just bad. But it does have a sling swivel attachment right in the place where I’d want to put a sling. But it really is awful, so that’s going to go. I can’t decide if I’m going to replace it with a wood stock or an M4 style stock, that will be tbd.

There are really two directions I could go with this build – go with putting it back in the wood, or move it forward and use modern components. As I’ve been writing this post, the beginnings of a plan have formed in my mind, because in its current configuration this rifle weighs 7.4 pounds fully loaded. That’s about a pound and a half more than a fully loaded M1 Carbine. See where I’m going with this? The atrocious thumbhole stock is heavy, so if I could get rid of that and replace it with something lighter, I could get the total weight under 7 pounds. If it’s under 7 points, suddenly I have a lightweight, iron sighted rifle capable of engaging targets out to 100 meters chambered in .30 caliber. That’s actually pretty appealing, and even though it gives up 5 rounds to an M1 Carbine, 10 rounds of 7.62×39 is certainly nothing to sneeze at in a truck gun.

So, the next installment of the VZ-58 Sporter build will have me ditching the godawful thumbhole stock, and adding something new and interesting!

CGN Regular
    Some US models were made for single stack magazines. Drum mag will fit all 7.62x39 VZ 58 and CZ 858 rifles imported to Canada