Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9192122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Utas-15 road show

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aakoksal View Post
    So we shot about 100 rounds with Kent shells. It failed to cycle once, and that was my mistake with short stroking the gun.

We had the international skeet range, so targets are faster, however I had no difficulties breaking doubles at station 1, 2, 7 and 8. There is no aiming when you shoot those doubles, so I can easily say natural pointability is very good. We even got a double on 4th station!!!

We had GoPro capturing our trial, I'll provide the link once it is posted in YouTube. Will try this again tomorrow, weather permitting, as it was great fun...
    Can't wait to see the video. I bet that turned a few heads out at the trap range.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Cavs42 View Post
    Fiocchi is the only brand of shell my 870 doesn't like too. I think there is definitely a pattern.
    Have heard from a few others that their various shotguns aren't really the fond of the Fiocchi as well, so I think you are correct.

Here is the link to the GoPro capture... UTS-15 session starts at 6:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQwcnyeXno

Quote Originally Posted by aakoksal View Post
    Here is the link to the GoPro capture... UTS-15 session starts at 6:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSQwcnyeXno
    Hey that's great. Well shot video, gotta love those GoPros.

Well i got back from the range today after testing the UTS and went to field strip and clean it. I found that the bolt carriage was damaged

I will post a detailed report on the review tomorrow

Hi All,

I got an email saying I will be receiving the UTS and I'd like to put it out there early that I'll be taking it to Oshawa Skeet and Gun club for some 5-stand and trap and maybe sporting clays, as well as Silverdale for Trap, slugs, buck, and whatever I can find. Both clubs have provisions for anyone with a P.A.L to shoot for a fee without being accompanied by a member so don't be shy and both clubs are open to members bringing guests.

If anyone local wants to tag along to try this out at either club PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send a group update (BCC'ing everyone for privacy) of the dates when I'll be going. It'll likely have to be both clubs over the same weekend (sat/sun) but since I don't yet have the gun I don't yet know the dates.

We'll be shooting this side by side with a Kel-Tec KSG, Remington 870 Tactical and I'm trying to track down a short barrel Grizzly Mag since I just sold mine. I'll also be bringing some "real" shotguns just to see how many more/less clays I manage to hit with this thing versus a Beretta Urika or Benelli Super Black Eagle.

I'm really looking forward to trying this out and I hope to hear from a few people who are interested in trying it out as well. Not many opportunities to play with cool toys like this without actually buying one. On that note I may just end up selling my KSG after this trial.....

BIG thanks to Wolverine for doing this project and it will be interesting to see how the shotgun has held up after a cross-country tour.
    Last edited by Wolverine Supplies; 06-04-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Spelling.... I'm a Grammar Nazi. -Tyson. :)

OK, So the UTS showed up in a sweet Pelican hard case and came with sights, the barrel extension and the extended tactical choke. Right away I ran and grabbed my KSG for a visual comparison...

The UTS has slightly larger dimensions but despite being identical weight (according to manufacturer specs.) it feels lighter than the KSG. This might have something to do with the sightmark on the KSG or maybe its just in my head.

This gun is very easy to strip for cleaning and the previous tester did a fantastic job. It was very clean, looked NIB and was perfectly lubricated IMHO. Not "greesy" not sloppy, not dry, just nicely lubed and the action cycled smothly. Pics below show the gun's condition a little closer.

First Impressions...
    I want to love this gun! It looks much more agressive than the KSG and I find the loading gates and tube selector switch much easier to use than those on the KSG. The little things people whine about eg. -having to push the follower first before inserting the first round or topping up are absolutely not difficult to do and IMO are baseless complaints compared to the magazine capacity of this gun. The snap caps cycled well from both tubes, but there was a hiccup noted below where it would eject the round it was trying to chamber. The gun feels a bit "plastic" compared to other tacticals but it still feels very well made and the action makes a great solid sound without any rattle.

Some critical points for me...
    1. I didn't like the positioning or "flopping" of the front sling swivel at all as I jammed my hand on it a few times while cycling the snap caps.
    2. The ejection port cover magnet only works when the action is ready to fire. After the hammer drops the bolt moves back under a bit of tension and the slightest bump pops the cover open.
    3. When feeding from the left tube with the selector lever centered the gun would occaisionally eject "live" rounds when the action was cycled. It tended to do this moreso when the gun was tilted slightly with the ejection port pointing towards the ground.

The Test Dates

I'll be at Silverdale gun club with this gun this coming Sunday, the 15th starting at 8:00am and will be spending time at the action range shooting slugs and buck through this, the KSG, a Norinco Grizzly Mag and a Fabarm Tactical. After an IPSC match from 10:00am - 12:00pm I'll take the UTS to the Trap range and put it up against my Beretta and my 870 as well as some O/U's of various price points.

If Wolverine is ok with it I'll bring the gun the following weekend to Silverdale once more on the 21st for another go with some LEO and friends and to the Oshawa skeet and gun club on the 22nd in the afternoon to watch as some "old boys" shart solid gold bricks at the 5-stand hut. I'll clean it and ship it out to the next tester that Sunday, unless I'm asked to send it sooner......

PM if you want to meet up, I'll be contacting those who already messaged with details of who I am and how to get in touch.

Bye for now...

Sponsoring Dealer
    If you are looking to take her out next weekend on the 21st and shipping her the following Sunday that is perfectly fine with us! You can get some more folks to see the UTAS at work.
    As for the ejecting the "live" round, when you were racking the slide, how forceful were you being on the slide?

Tyson.

Also remember that the sling swivel can be moved to any point on the shotgun or removed completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine Supplies View Post
    If you are looking to take her out next weekend on the 21st and shipping her the following Sunday that is perfectly fine with us! You can get some more folks to see the UTAS at work.
    As for the ejecting the "live" round, when you were racking the slide, how forceful were you being on the slide?

Tyson.
    Admittedly, I wasn't racking it like an action movie star and I think that had a lot to do with it. With the gun tilted to the side and not racking it quickly, gravity and momentum allowed the round to pass through the chamber without being stopped by the "mousetrap" and held in the chamber. Seems like a simple solution and I've heard it before... "Rack it like a man". It's worth noting though that it didn't happen when it fed from the right tube, only the left, and I would guess it's because of the angle at which the round is launched into the chamber