Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Now in Stock - Remington Versamax 26" Shotguns for Action Shotgun shooting.

Can you get the tactical barrels for these?
    I assume they are interchangeable and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems reasonable that you could. If you wanted to upgrade the gun to be equivalent to the way the Tactical comes out of the box, you need to upgrade the following:
    - bolt release
    - safety control
    - charging handle
    - metal magazine follower
    and then add:
    - extension tube
    - barrel to tube clamp
    - picatinny rail
    - fibre optic sight

If you were then to change out the barrel, you likely should have bought the tactical in the first place. I got very lucky and found one on the EE and made a trade and money offset.

There is only one disadvantage to the Tactical if that's what you want and that is the chamber marking at 3 inch which will cost you a round of 2-3/4. This isn't all that relevant for a gun to be used in Canada. I got the same capacity as a 26 (ten +1) by adding a plus 2 cap. Here's what it looks like. I have a plus 1 as well.

The only issue with the extension going forward of the muzzle is that it gets a lot of powder residue. I make it easier to clean by smearing on a layer of frog lube paste before I shoot.

Gord
    Nighthawk Custom Predator II 45, Nighthawk Custom .22 upper, CZ Shadow 2, CZ Shadow 2 Canadian, CZ Shadow 1 Custom, Chiappa Rhino DS .357 Gold, SIG P-226 Elite 9mm, SIG 226 40 Upper, SIG P-320 X-Five, SIG Super Target 45, Beretta Centurion, Ruger PC Carbine Takedown 6-Position Stock 9mm Luger 18.6″ Barrel Non-Restricted

Excellent points.
    I hadn't considered the upgraded control parts.
    What I really want is the extra round of 2.75 that the 3.5 inch chamber marking gets me, in a shotgun with a 20-ish inch barrel.
    I suppose a person could just have the barrel shortened to whatever non restricted length is deemed suitable, provided one has it chopped at one of the risers so as to not look dumb.
    With a top rail and an optic that would be a pretty good solution to have something very close to the tactical version with the benefit of one extra round.
    I'll take every inch we are given here.

In most cases, I'm almost totally happy with what I buy because I do my homework. The most you are going to get out of the 26 inch model while respecting the Canadian regulations is 7 + 1

The Tactical with the extension tube gives you 8 + 1 but you have to plug it to 6 + 1. If you stay in Canada with the gun, then that's what you will get. Here in the US, they take the 26 inch gun to 10 + 1. The 3 Gun Nation rules allow you to go to the line with 9 in the gun total before the "beep". The extra capacity comes in on reloads or if you decide to load more after the beep but before shooting. Some of the stages require nine plates be shot on the beep. So there is no room for misses. I have a round on the gun that I can chamber quite quickly and so that's what I do.

The above means little in Canada where I haven't competed yet. But whether you have 6 or 7 in the tube no matter what.

My only regret in buying the tactical is that I have nothing left to tinker with and I love after market stuff and DYI mods. So another way to think about this is to start with the 26 that will be available and then add or change what you want after you have some experience. If you have the time and money you will get exactly what you want in several steps.

For my part, I see nothing all that great about the shorter barrel. We aren't talking about clearing rooms or combat here. With my extension and the + 2 cap, my total length is around 25.25. Cutting the 26 inch barrel makes no sense to me. If you want a 20 inch barrel and a 7 +1 capacity, that will result in an extension that goes beyond the muzzle if I estimate correctly. That's my take on your choices. My inclination
    , if I were you, would be to go for the flexibility of the 26 and have fun from there. YMMV
    Nighthawk Custom Predator II 45, Nighthawk Custom .22 upper, CZ Shadow 2, CZ Shadow 2 Canadian, CZ Shadow 1 Custom, Chiappa Rhino DS .357 Gold, SIG P-226 Elite 9mm, SIG 226 40 Upper, SIG P-320 X-Five, SIG Super Target 45, Beretta Centurion, Ruger PC Carbine Takedown 6-Position Stock 9mm Luger 18.6″ Barrel Non-Restricted

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin56 View Post
    I suppose a person could just have the barrel shortened to whatever non restricted length is deemed suitable, provided one has it chopped at one of the risers so as to not look dumb.
    From what I heard, the reason the 3.5" is not offered in the Versamax shorter barrel is that it caused unreliable cycling, (remember that we're talking all about gas operation here and bbl length and burn play a big part in that) so maybe that will work, maybe it won't.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Shmoo View Post
    Any chance of seeing nordic tubes for Benelli? i'd give organs to grab a +4 or 5 for my supernova.
    When the Versamax ones come in; I'll look into it.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Ventures View Post
    From what I heard, the reason the 3.5" is not offered in the Versamax shorter barrel is that it caused unreliable cycling, (remember that we're talking all about gas operation here and bbl length and burn play a big part in that) so maybe that will work, maybe it won't.
    What I read was that the weight of the 3.5's in the extended tube was causing some brands of ammo to distort under recoil. Supposedly the brands with more robust shells were OK. I can't recall where I got that from but I think it was a reliable source. As is often the case, it depends on the end use of the gun. My VMT will never see 3.5's as I can't see ever having a need for the extra ooomph. Most people that try my gun are impressed with how softly it shoots. The gas system helps there. Except for the "cool" factor, I see no benefit to a shorter barrel.

Another selling point for the VM is the ease of fitting it with the supplied plates and parts. It took me a while and a few tries but the two beads align perfectly when I shoulder the gun. I have no plans to mount an optic at this point because it's generally true that the fibre optic front sight is the fastest way to acquire targets in the games. I've yet to see an optic being used in our matches. I took the picatinny rail off as it interfered with my sight picture. I see a lot of VM's shooting side by side with Benelli's in the competitions here; mostly M2's modified by Benny Hill the same way my gun was. They are slightly more expensive and don't shoot as softly. Another advantage to the VM is a much larger loading port. As everyone discovers quickly, reloading is 60% of the games in terms of time.

I love shooting everything I own but blasting away at a plate rack with a 12Ga is a very special feeling. Did I mention that I LOVE guns ?

This is just priceless information - thank you!
    I bought a VM 28" and now want the ability to shoot slugs/buckshot etc, so I was hoping to get a shorter barrel to do that.
    Now, I am not so sure.
    Ounces leads to pounds, pounds lead to pain.
    Light, strong and cheap - pick two.

Now you have me curious. What stops you from shooting slugs and buck in a 28? Slugs require more accurate sighting and so the longer sight radius should help. Slugs make such lovely big holes in paper. I used buck shot in a match this past summer. That also creates impressive holes is something.

Quote Originally Posted by hercster View Post
    Now you have me curious. What stops you from shooting slugs and buck in a 28? Slugs require more accurate sighting and so the longer sight radius should help. Slugs make such lovely big holes in paper. I used buck shot in a match this past summer. That also creates impressive holes is something.
    I guess my concern is that I would prefer using a barrel with a larger wall thickness.
    No choke too - perhaps??
    Ounces leads to pounds, pounds lead to pain.
    Light, strong and cheap - pick two.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast