$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10121314151617181920212223242526272830 ... LastLast

Thread: T97.ca | Official Thread of the T97NSR Flat Top Upper (FTU) | PART I

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet driller212's Avatar
    It looks like she is coming together nicely great work!

I may hold out for a hand guard rail though.
    Shootin' stuff in the Wild West

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS INITIATIVE: http://www.wildernessprotection.ca/

Now that you're using your own charging handle, why not have the rail even lower?

If we lower the rail further, installation will be complicated. The question of feasibility of manufacture presents itself as well. Right now, the installation is simple and will take less than 10 minutes.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-20-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    CSSA Member

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet driller212's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDerp View Post
    Now that you're using your own charging handle, why not have the rail even lower?
    I may be wrong, but I think this side charging handle works with the old one as opposed to removing it.

The old charging handle will have to be removed to fit either the reciprocating charging handle or the non-reciprocating charging handle.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-21-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Shootin' stuff in the Wild West

PLEASE SUPPORT THIS INITIATIVE: http://www.wildernessprotection.ca/

Big Mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDerp View Post
    Because the rail must be attached to something solid... And easy to convert....... It's already answered before.... I know long thread!

Thank-you.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-21-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Waiting on details/range report!

Business Member
    We are proud to have delivered this range report from the Nanaimo Fish and Game Club, a club with 108 years of Canadian shooting history!

Continuing the T97NSR FTU (Flat Top Upper) Project

Background: the prototype non-reciprocating charging handle for the T97NSR FTU (flat top upper) is affixed to the side of a DelrinŽ "truck," a square slotted length of DelrinŽ that rides in a trackway under the length of the FTU. The CH/DT (charging handle/DelrinŽ truck) works the bolt rearward smoothly, with no rotation or binding. As we work the action rearward, we strip a round from the magazine and the DelrinŽ truck slides forward partly on the action`s own inertia. The CH/DT will stay forward via a spring/detent solution. This is our concept for a non-reciprocating charging handle for the T97NSR.

First Impressions: the charging handle feels stout in the hand. Pulling back the handle, the DelrinŽ part runs smooth and feels solid. There is no side movement: the truck takes up all of the torque here as designed. The DT part requires no grease. According to Dupont, "DelrinŽ combines lubricity and wear resistance with the stiffness and strength needed in parts designed to replace metal." Cost effective to replace, we are confident this part will hold up to thousands of cycles. A spare will ship with the CH and is easily installed.

Sighting In
    Inserting a LAR-15 magazine, we cycle the action for the first time and we begin to sight in our T97NSR at 25 yards using a Bushnell 1-4x scope on low QD rings. Here, we've added a 3/8" rise to the butt stock that allows for a strong cheek weld at the optimal height for a scope with low rings. Whether it is the contours of the rifle or my position behind the rifle, she feels more natural in place than my AR15.

Caption: Shown here is an AR-15 with 11.5in. HBAR and Samson 12in. forearm. Below is the T97NSR with 18.5in. barrel and 14in. T97.ca FTU installed with non-reciprocating charging handle.

So, we began with a 5rd group of A/E 62gr. group for zero at 25 yds. The group was not overly impressive, at about 1.5" but we were still getting used to the trigger: long and smooth, with a surprise break at the end. It is very much like a double action revolver. Quite adequate once you get used to it. Afterward, we adjusted the scope to get the group centered and about 2" low at 25 yds. Then, we settled in and shot another 5rd, 25yd group using 55gr A/E and this one was better...four shots into one ragged hole and the fifth opening the group up to about 3/4". Tried again and got a similar group. Then we moved the targets out to 100 yds. 3/4" @ 25 yds should translate to 3" @ 100 yds, and that is exactly what we got. We could have done significantly better with a stronger scope, and a bit more trigger time, but the viability of scoping the T97NSR with the T97.CA FTU was validated.

A Few Things We Learned
    If we now assume that the non-reciprocating charging handle is to be standard, we can now shrink the slot to about 1/4" wide and the truck should be extended down as much as possible to almost touch the bolt carrier and that the rear surface of the truck needs to be contoured to closely match the radius of the original stub. Moving the CH forward on the truck will improve strength and also provide reduction in side torque to the truck when charging. These changes will require the front of the slot to be moved forward to match. There is more work to do. The fielding of the first non-reciprocating charging handle for T97NSR feels like history in the making. We`re looking forward to proving out the final version.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    M14.ca + Official Forum
    Blackfeather "RS" Rifle Stock
    LSP
    Scout Hand Guard
    CASM GEN II Scope Mount
    Black Arrow Spring Guide
    Direct email: info@m14.ca Tel. 250-888.9982
    T97NSR FTU T97.ca.
    T97NSR LHG T97.ca. NEW

Outstanding work, guys! I really like the continuous feedback here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardaukar View Post
    Tootall, the "Sledgehammer of Reason" ladies and gentlemen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    Deano always loves the floozies.

Excellent work. Non reciprocating is the way to go!

Ben

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet fenceline's Avatar
    Could you post pics of a stock 97 with you custom build?

We have only one rifle here at the moment however, this comparison may help visualize a difference.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-21-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Member: CPC, CSSA, CSC, CDTSA, ATHL, ex-NFA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Kevin M.'s Avatar
    What is the weight when compared to the polymer upper?

The lightening of the part requires careful re-assessment after production model design changes are complete. Posting a weight now would not be accurate as only superficial lightening cuts have been completed. The cavity of the FTU still has to go undergo the same process. Weight is paramount, as it was during the Blackfeather RS production cycle in 2012. The result of that final lightening process for Blackfeather resulted in one of the lightest M14 aluminum stocks in the world.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-21-2013 at 01:57 PM.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?