$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: T97.ca | Official Thread of the T97NSR Flat Top Upper (FTU) | PART I

Will any possibility of injection molded polymer versions be offered at a reduced price? Also, has investment casting been considered as a alternative manufacturing method? It might be a lot more cost effective given the possible levels of demand for the product. A bar stock of that size probably costs about 30 or 40 bucks, but you look to be using only 10%ish of the mass to make this. I bet you could get material costs much lower with alternative manufacturing methods, then you just have to watch the cost of post processing. Though I'm saying all this assuming you have the tools and resources available to you in house or within reach.
    These guys specialize in CNC. I can't see them getting into polymer anything: doesn't make sense and would not be cost effective.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Stevo's Avatar
    ....and we will call it… “This Land.” (or NW Alberta)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorno View Post
    Side charging handle would bring the height down further and streamline this sucker.

It will not bring the top rail height down. Currently, it is 1.1" to the top flat. The FTU as shown in place at the rear butt stock junction serves to hold down the rear stock. This too will likely be modified in our next iteration. The side charging handle option could close the opening where the charging handle reciprocates. This is under consideration.
    I just noticed this post from this morning where you say a side CH won't make a difference in rail height. Are you working from the position that you are not modding the CH at all and leaving the big "hook" piece in place?

Our charging handle design will be akin to a skeletonized extended AR15 charging handle. We have already removed the hook and have actually been using a rudimentary pipe this entire time that should be the same thickness as our eventual design. It is merely a place holder right now. It is not shown in our photos but neither is the positionable 4" picatinny side rail.

It appears to be riveted, and if removed, could lead to a significant reduction in rail height. The lower the rail, the more options buyers will have for sights and mounts. It's easy to get taller, impossible to go lower than the rail.

The stock comb to top rail height relationship will be identical to the AR15.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-12-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    Whatever

The problem is probably how it attaches to the gun, not the charging handle.

Yes, this is correct.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.

I'd rather not have to use a riser, but to each his own.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Stevo's Avatar
    ....and we will call it… “This Land.” (or NW Alberta)
    Quote Originally Posted by twoguntim View Post
    The problem is probably how it attaches to the gun, not the charging handle
    Which problem?

The rear butt stock must tab into the T97.ca FTU at the rear. If you take apart your T97NSR, and put it back together without the carry handle, you will see that the rear butt stock must be retained. If you want to lower the rail, you will have to ask the end user to cut this top section off to lower the rail 1/4" to obtain the classic AR15 height relationship. With our design, only minor modification to the front and rear sight posts will be required to obtain exactly the same thing. It is a simpler installation process.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Whatever

Are the Magpul MBUS sets not cheaper and good quality? I haven't used them personally but people seem to dig them.

Yes, I have since edited my earlier post. The height relationships here are going to be identical to the AR from stock comb to top rail.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Wow >>> now I want a T97

I think M14.ca stated they are working on a modified AR charging handle which would stand to reason "forward and back". I do not think if you removed the hook and used the existing material and mounted a side charge hand it would stand up to wear and tear.

The new side charging handle may be angled for ease of manipulation and for practical/tactical reasons but we will make it small enough to make sure it does not catch while reciprocating when shooting close to barriers. I am confident it will be secure enough to stand up to abuse and the .223 recoil cycle.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-12-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter dave View Post
    Are the Magpul MBUS sets not cheaper and good quality? I haven't used them personally but people seem to dig them.
    I have been using Troy and Magpul sights for years......knock offs mind you, way cheaper and reasonable quality, no complaints so far.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet TRaTSeRiF's Avatar
    Any chance of a manual hold-open?

I will bring it up at our next meeting. Thank-you.
    Last edited by M14.CA; 10-12-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence.
    Canadian scientist have discovered the real cause behind climate change - hot air emanating from Liberal politicians