Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Is there any demand for an ALL Canadian made bolt action precision rifle?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scott_r's Avatar
    I would buy Canadian but not pay $5500 for a rifle. Good luck with your venture.

I'd like to say that a 100% Canadian built rifle would be amazing, but the value would have to be there to make it viable. At $5500 it would have to be a red hot smoking precision bench class comp rifle to make sense.

For comparison, I had a Surgeon built 6.5 Creedmoor rifle which was loaded with an Macmillan stock, Jewell Trigger, Krieger Barrel, JEC Brake with all the accurizing work done (blueprinting, etc etc), and that rifle cost < $5500. That rifle could shoot the pips off a set of dice all day long. That's a proven combination that regularly wins competitions.

Being Canadian will give it appeal, but if it doesn't perform like a $5500 rifle, then I doubt there will be much of a market.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by politbureau View Post
    I'd like to say that a 100% Canadian built rifle would be amazing, but the value would have to be there to make it viable. At $5500 it would have to be a red hot smoking precision bench class comp rifle to make sense.

For comparison, I had a Surgeon built 6.5 Creedmoor rifle which was loaded with an Macmillan stock, Jewell Trigger, Krieger Barrel, JEC Brake with all the accurizing work done (blueprinting, etc etc), and that rifle cost < $5500. That rifle could shoot the pips off a set of dice all day long. That's a proven combination that regularly wins competitions.

Being Canadian will give it appeal, but if it doesn't perform like a $5500 rifle, then I doubt there will be much of a market.
    Well then if the bar is set that low, we already have a winning combination.
    Our actions are superior to what Surgeon builds in many respects. The stock is made EXACTLY with the same materials and methods as McMillan, there are already Canadian barrel makers every bit as good as Krieger, we believe our basic trigger will be at least as good as Jewell, early testing seems to be very positive, the single set we believe will be even better, we already have 1 of the best brakes on the market, have had for years.
    So with having built precision rifles for many years that shoot every bit as well and in many cases better than some of the best foreign made rifles in a similar configuration to those we compare to, I think we have a winner then.:D

Just curious as to why a "custom" action would need to be accurized? I thought having a custom action negated that.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Well then if the bar is set that low, we already have a winning combination.
    Our actions are superior to what Surgeon builds in many respects. The stock is made EXACTLY with the same materials and methods as McMillan, there are already Canadian barrel makers every bit as good as Krieger, we believe our basic trigger will be at least as good as Jewell, early testing seems to be very positive, the single set we believe will be even better, we already have 1 of the best brakes on the market, have had for years.
    So with having built precision rifles for many years that shoot every bit as well and in many cases better than some of the best foreign made rifles in a similar configuration to those we compare to, I think we have a winner then.:D

Just curious as to why a "custom" action would need to be accurized? I thought having a custom action negated that.
    I think you misinterpret my comments as being negative or derogatory. I'm just trying to say a $5500 rifle will need to perform like one if you want to get market traction. If that's the case, then I'd get demo rifles into production ASAP. If you can build a setup that exceeds the benchmark of these foreign manufacturers, you should have bench class competitors lining up at your door, and potentially have a combination that's desired outside our own borders. Plus I'd imagine you'd get more buy-in once people have real world metal to swoon over.

After that, getting it into the hands of someone with proven ability who can run it through it's paces would be a great place to start and get the word out.

As to accurizing, you got me. I just shoot them. That was the marketing BS that I was sold on at the time. I'm just a lowly serviceman...

Plus, as we all know Made in America < Made in Canada

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    I think you misinterpret my comments as being negative or derogatory. I'm just trying to say a $5500 rifle will need to perform like one if you want to get market traction. If that's the case, then I'd get demo rifles into production ASAP. If you can build a setup that exceeds the benchmark of these foreign manufacturers, you should have bench class competitors lining up at your door, and potentially have a combination that's desired outside our own borders. Plus I'd imagine you'd get more buy-in once people have real world metal to swoon over.

After that, getting it into the hands of someone with proven ability who can run it through it's paces would be a great place to start and get the word out.

As to accurizing, you got me. I just shoot them. That was the marketing BS that I was sold on at the time. I'm just a lowly serviceman...

Plus, as we all know Made in America < Made in Canada
    No I did not take it in any way derogatory and I agree 100% with your comments.
    The hardest part as I see it is getting it through the minds of the shooting fraternity that Made In Canada in no way means inferior.
    Getting some of the better shooters and competitors to try us will be the biggest task in my mind.

I have owned rifles made by some of the best in the USA over the years and use them as a benchmark to exceed with what we build.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Hell yes!
    And make sure you make a custom 20 round detachable .308 mag that works in the m14 !!!

Yes...I would much rather leave my $$$ in the hands of a fellow countryman so it can circulate within our economy that have it go anywhere else.

CGN Regular
    If proven reliable and in a caliber that I like. I would buy one,..And maybe a second if you could ship in a covert fashion as not to alert the in house minister of finance

All Canadian and custom made?? I'd be interested. However $5500 is steep for me. Maybe if it was possible to have a sporter version around $2500 give or take? Like the carbon fiber hunter you have a pic of on your site in 300WinMag ??

Blueprinting

did i read BLUEPRINTING and ACCURIZING JOB on a surgeon action ??? you just pay 500$ more then you should have Buddy :-)
    i have one and they have installed the Kreiger barrel on it AS IS and it's a awesome shooter. That being said, i will also sell it ON THE SPOT (if i need to) to buy one 100% canadian made by ATR

Keep the good work ATR