Is there any demand for an ALL Canadian made bolt action precision rifle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alberta tactical rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Business Member
Rating - 100%
114   0   1
A few years ago we started to manufacture our own actions. Over the last 3 years they have seen significant refinement and development. We are just starting to do field trials with our own in-house made trigger groups. So far we feel that our trigger will rival or surpass what Jewell has to offer based on repeatability of break and reset, adjustment ability, lack of creep AND there is the option for being available as a single set trigger.
We have been negotiating with a Canadian barrel maker and a Canadian fiberglass stock maker, so the potential to offer a complete 100% made in Canada rifle does exist.

At this point the stock would be very similar to the McMillan A5, barrels are stainless single point cut. The only part on a repeater not made in Canada, and more specifically Alberta would be the Accuracy International magazine.

The very best part is that the cost would be less than if the same rifle were built on US supplied components.

Any thoughts?

Interesting..... I much prefer to keep my business in country when possible. Any ideas on price point?

Like any custom built rifle much will depend on what options are wanted in the stock, metal finish, etc. Having the barrel nitrided to match the action makes the most sense to me. I would estimate in the $4800.00 to $5500.00 range for a repeater with pretty much all options in the stock, ie. adjustable butt system and cheek rest, rails and sling mounts. Caliber would dictate things like muzzle brake which would move it closer to the $5500.00 mark.

Yup...price point is a big one, however ultimately it needs to be equal or better than current available components.
There are already lots of great builds available in Canada, but you can only do things so many ways and stuff remains the same.
Availibiity will have a huge impact on sales if all else is equal.

Price depends.

I'd love a super short rifle in 45-70 or something similar with box mag, 12" lop stock, and a barrel just long enough to be non restricted (26" overall) in scout configuration.

That's my dream gun.

I would love an all Canuck shootin' stick. As mentioned before price point and performance/quality have to add up to a great value. There are a lot of foreign components that will be hard to beat for the buck. If these areas can be satisfied, you will have a heck of a success on your hands and I will be one of your first buyers.

"Price point and performance/quality!"
^^
This will be the kicker!

Add in Customer support and service at fair pricing as well.

I would love an all Canuck shootin' stick. As mentioned before price point and performance/quality have to add up to a great value. There are a lot of foreign components that will be hard to beat for the buck. If these areas can be satisfied, you will have a heck of a success on your hands and I will be one of your first buyers.

I respect a thing built for a purpose - in this case, I guess that your purpose is poking little holes into paper.

Lately, I've been noticing that the guns that we've been offered - and are buying - are leaving their military roots behind. Today, I was messing with a Ruger and a Tikka - both in 22 250 - noticing how clumsy the Ruger is - getting the cartridge into the chamber can be a real bother. Throwing one in front of the bolt and attempting to close it... does not work. The tip of the bullet will almost never line up with the chamber and feed in, but prefers to get mashed against the barrel.

Just try to load bullets into your favourite gun - as though you are under fire or being pursued.

I have never held a modern rifle that I would trust in a tense situation - when the fingers go fumbly and the beast is a-comin'.

Three in a magazine is not enough - the old Enfield held 10 and didn't extend below the trigger guard - the SKS too.

Savage magazines are trash - squeeze it and it comes apart - drop it out onto a hard floor and it will break.

We are allowing spray paint finishes with fancy names and fancy claims.

Now I think that these little things illustrate how our standards have fallen - and I mention them to remind Alberta Tactical that accuracy is only one qualification of a good rifle - there are many more qualifiers for a really great rifle - and the prices that you are talking are for more than a tack driver. If I were looking for points that add value to a gun - I would start at the tests that the military rifles go through.

Now - I have written this - knowing that you knew it already - but you do need to know that we know it too - that we are not going to buy a 5000$ gun just because it is accurate - I didn't marry my wife - decades ago - because she made good cookies - it takes more than accuracy or good cookies to inspire love and respect - think deeper.

Old guy done talkin' - off to bed.

Very interested, love supporting canadian business. However at the $5500 price range I would have to decline. If you would be able to get that number down around 2500 I'd be interested

Way beyond my price range also, so I cannot vote with my wallet.
But I absolutely do believe we need more Canadian firearms makers.
Best of luck, Rick!

If the Australians and New Zealanders could do it, why not Canadians. But $5500 is going to limit the market.

Anytime I can keep my money in Canada I am game! However not at that price tag!

A few years ago we started to manufacture our own actions. Over the last 3 years they have seen significant refinement and development. We are just starting to do field trials with our own in-house made trigger groups. So far we feel that our trigger will rival or surpass what Jewell has to offer based on repeatability of break and reset, adjustment ability, lack of creep AND there is the option for being available as a single set trigger.
We have been negotiating with a Canadian barrel maker and a Canadian fiberglass stock maker, so the potential to offer a complete 100% made in Canada rifle does exist.

At this point the stock would be very similar to the McMillan A5, barrels are stainless single point cut. The only part on a repeater not made in Canada, and more specifically Alberta would be the Accuracy International magazine.

The very best part is that the cost would be less than if the same rifle were built on US supplied components.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom