Thread: How do I clean gold plating properly?

Unhappy How do I clean gold plating properly?

Hi all! Recently bought myself a Winchester 94 Klondike commemorative and it has been used. I want to give it a thorough cleaning and oiling before I take it out myself, but am unsure if a nitro solvent such as outers would affect my gold plating? Any of you tried it or have recomendations to make the gold plating last the longest?

Gold plating is one of the least resilient finishes. The reason it's used on commemorative guns is because they are usualy not fired. Seeing that yours has been enjoy!
    The best way to protect the gold finish is to gently wipe it down with plain gun oil. The plating should not be exposed to any solvents when you clean the rest of your gun.
    Some say that Break free CLP is ok, but I would stick to plain oil.
    Last edited by gravel; 11-11-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Thank you for your input, its been pretty quiet in this post!I agree and thats about all I've done with it so far. Just looking into Frog Lube now to see if their line of products is safe for the plating!

No problem. BTW even with oil or other `Safe`` lubricants use minimal pressure when wiping down the gold finish
    as it is pretty thin on all com guns. The only exception is the gold plated desert eagle and even that version
    is the least resilient compared to the others. Enjoy your lever, it`s a good looking gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    My brother is a jeweller, he own is jewellery and he told me when i will get my Desert Eagle 44 mag 24 kt Gold plated, i willl come home with all is kit to polish gold plating, i said to me that after that the protection will be incredible, it is like a plastic epoxy transparent treatment hard as glass, one treatment per 5 years... JP.