Thread: Probably a stupid question, but..

Probably a stupid question, but..

I have an old (belonged to my great grandmother) Iver Johnson .410. It's well worn and has a very wide spread. Is it possible to somehow have the choke tightened? TIA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    If there is enough meat in the muzzle area it could possibly be threaded for choke tubes

But it's probably not worth it.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Thanks Gatehouse. I guess it's destined to be a wall hanger.

Uber Super GunNutz
    I think I had read there was a technique to use a "roller swager" to squish down front of shotgun barrel - a "choke" is a matter of a few thousandths of an inch from bore diameter - is not "much" - but would likely alter the exterior appearance of an elderly barrel? And have to find someone who would do that - after removing the front bead - and assuming the barrel is more or less "round" to start with.
    The DEVIL caught me with my head down, and thought he had won - until I said "AMEN"!

Uber Super GunNutz
    If it’s sentimental, in the 60’s mossberg m183kb had a C-lect chokes that are external threads(might be a cheap parts gun) or look for an old Lyman cutts choke. It’s good to keep family guns going and making memories. Another option might be Saiga external threaded chokes (they come in 410 size) not sure if anyone cuts the treads though.

How wide a pattern are we talking about and how much tighter do you need it?
    John

At 20 yards it's over a foot, if I remember correctly. I quit using it for grouse many years ago after losing a couple that flew away and I heard them fall and flutter around but couldn't find them, and they weren't long shots. I'd like it tight enough that when I shoot at the head, at least one pellet hits the head.